Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

I am old (hence, posting in the Retirement Forum).

I have a couple of relatives who are problematic and one who actively "bothers" me.

I have been in fear of the person showing up on my doorstep (because it has happened several times).

I am a soft-touch, and have a hard time saying "no."

I have become enamored of the "other" coast. I have fantasies of moving away - but here is the catch:

I AM OLD!!!

I have a home that was remodeled so I could "age in place."

I have relatives within an hour away - so if I become decrepit, they would be relatively nearby to at least "manage" my care.

What is to consider moving FAR AWAY from family in old age?

I thought today that I could perhaps live happily "far away" for years - but if I were to get super old an infirm, then I could move back to my current home.

Then there is the prospect of moving "far away" and the difficult people coming to stay with you (I am trying to avoid them staying with me).

Thanks for ideas.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 06-28-2019 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
have one (or more) of your relatives who would take care of you in your decrepitness talk to the leach.

learn to say no. seriously. Sounds like you are your own worst enemy. If that really puts you in danger, talk to a policeman.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:11 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
There are many over 55 communities, that have volunteers, that will help you out if needed.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:42 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I am old (hence, posting in the Retirement Forum).

I have a couple of relatives who are problematic and one who actively "bothers" me.

I have been in fear of the person showing up on my doorstep (because it has happened several times).

I have become enamored of the "other" coast. I have fantasies of moving away - but here is the catch:

I AM OLD!!!

I have a home that was remodeled so I could "age in place."

I have relatives within an hour away - so if I become decrepit, they would be relatively nearby to at least "manage" my care.

What is to consider moving FAR AWAY from family in old age?

I thought today that I could perhaps live happily "far away" for years - but if I were to get super old an infirm, then I could move back to my current home.

Then there is the prospect of moving "far away" and the difficult people coming to stay with you (I am trying to avoid them staying with me).

Thanks for ideas.
How old? Aging in place doesn't seem to be working out very well for you. Only you can solve the problem with the relative. Why don't you just tell them they can't stay with you.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:12 PM

314 posts, read 238,323 times
Default ...be like Gene Tunney and get off that mat..

My mother has this problem with a younger sister who is a hateful person. It took years of coaxing and encouragement from me alone (my siblings, all older, can be pretty worthless) to get my mother to finally tell her sister to stay out of her life. Even then, I have to regularly check in to see that this tyrant stays out because people of this kind of sick mindedness do not readily give up their victims.
Nobodiesbusiness, you need an advocate. A strong advocate who will chase off this wolf. But this can only work if you make it clear that you no longer want this other person around. Even then, the miscreant will allow time to pass and will convince himself/herself that he/she really loves and cares for you, but is misunderstood. They wait for you to lower your guard.
I have lost all respect for my mother's siblings for letting this go on for so long. I am talking decades.
Find your advocate, get this relative out of your life and lift this burden off your back. You deserve to enjoy your life on your terms.
By writing this thread, you have taken a big step. Let this make you strong. And you have all these people on Retirement Forum who care about you (help me out, NYGal).
I am pulling hard for you.

- Johnny Boy

Old 06-28-2019, 06:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I have relatives within an hour away - so if I become decrepit,
they would be relatively nearby to at least "manage" my care.

I have been in fear of the person...

Thanks for ideas.
If you could count on that first group of relatives to be helpful 'then'..
they should be willing to be helpful NOW to help you deal with the problem relatives.
Next up is your County social services for seniors people. You should probably call them on Monday anyway.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you could count on that first group of relatives to be helpful 'then'..
they should be willing to be helpful NOW to deal with the problem relatives.
Next up is your County social services for seniors people. You should probably call them on Monday anyway.
No - they would never "help" me because of family dynamics that were created by the difficult people, but when I am super old, I think they would arrange things for me - and I would guess that would be easier the closer you are in proximity to people.

Note: I wouldn't be just moving to escape - I may also like the new place - it could be really fun - I have only visited once, so not completely sure - just thinking of options.

Also: I did look up elder abuse and put some number in my phone.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:57 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I think about escaping to a much smaller isolated town.

I live in a pretty small town now. But it is close to a big city - just 20 miles down the road.

The town i would move to is really small. They were happy when they got a Dollar General store. I have relatives there and my dream is to just mingle with them and learn more about my paternal family.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Is geographical "escape" really escape? You need to deal with the relative one way or the other or it won't matter. They may be slightly less likely to live in your house if you move, but they will still live in your head.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is geographical "escape" really escape? You need to deal with the relative one way or the other or it won't matter. They may be slightly less likely to live in your house if you move, but they will still live in your head.
I think I would feel emotionally freer and "safer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement