Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes! I was just getting ready to do just that and then my dog had a medical emergency and was in ICU and now I can't take him with me on the plane - so I have to wait for long term trips till he passes - which could be up to five years! And I am not getting any younger!
No, you don't have to put your entire life on hold for a dog. That's a convenient excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 07:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why not drive or take Greyhound, Amtrak or something? Granted, renting with a dog can be problematic, not sure how dog friendly the area is.
I think I looked into Amtrak some time ago, and they have trains now that will accept dogs, but you must keep them in their carrier - and that would be almost impossible for the amount of time it would take to go from the West to the East coast. If I could hold him, it would be fine - they also don't allow dogs in the sleeping chamber. He is only 5 lbs, and is my "old baby." I would have to be able to hold him. Otherwise, good idea.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, you don't have to put your entire life on hold for a dog. That's a convenient excuse.
Not really. I am a "dog mom."

Old 06-29-2019, 07:38 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Not really. I am a "dog mom."
Then it's a choice, and one that I can understand making.

The problem relative needs to be dealt with, not escaped from. Without knowing the extent of the person's problems or threat, it isn't possible (for me) to say anything more.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:58 PM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
I think I looked into Amtrak some time ago, and they have trains now that will accept dogs, but you must keep them in their carrier - and that would be almost impossible for the amount of time it would take to go from the West to the East coast. If I could hold him, it would be fine - they also don't allow dogs in the sleeping chamber. He is only 5 lbs, and is my "old baby." I would have to be able to hold him. Otherwise, good idea.
They allow pets on most trips that are 7 hours or less. If you trip is more than 7 hours stay over night at a stop and book a 2nd trip.

Edit: I reread your post. Just make the trip in multiple trips. 5 hours one day, stay over night, 5 hours the next day, stay over night.

There is no reason for this to be an insurmountable problem.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
They allow pets on most trips that are 7 hours or less. If you trip is more than 7 hours stay over night at a stop and book a 2nd trip.

Edit: I reread your post. Just make the trip in multiple trips. 5 hours one day, stay over night, 5 hours the next day, stay over night.

There is no reason for this to be an insurmountable problem.
I went and reread the dog policy of Amtrak.

The dog must be kept under your seat (not the seat in front of you), in a carrier. It may not be in the food or sleep areas of the train.

That would not work.

If you have truly workable ideas, please share them.

Greyhound only allows "service animals" not "emotional support" animals (which is a designation anyone can get). So you can't take your dog on the bus, either.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:33 PM

I thought I HAD a workable idea.

Travel in increments of 5 hours (any increment you choose) with your dog under your seat (or where ever they tell you), get off, take an uber to a hotel, stay the night. Take an uber back to Amtrack.

Rinse, repeat.

Do not stay on the Amtrak in a sleeping car or go into the food area (pack a meal).

Pleasant? Not really. Burdensome? A bit.

But if you REALLY want to move to NYC, then this will work.

Or, rent a car and drive cross country (choose a car company that allows drop offs to a different location than pickup).

Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I thought I HAD a workable idea.

Travel in increments of 5 hours (any increment you choose) with your dog under your seat (or where ever they tell you), get off, take an uber to a hotel, stay the night. Take an uber back to Amtrack.

Rinse, repeat.

Do not stay on the Amtrak in a sleeping car or go into the food area (pack a meal).

Pleasant? Not really. Burdensome? A bit.

But if you REALLY want to move to NYC, then this will work.

Or, rent a car and drive cross country (choose a car company that allows drop offs to a different location than pickup).
I see. I doubt he would stay under the seat for five hour stints.

I looked up how long it takes to drive from the west to the east coast, and it said 44 hours . . . so I would have to do that five hour stint for nine days in a row!

Not my cup-o-tea!

But I appreciate all of the ideas!

Old 06-29-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I see. I doubt he would stay under the seat for five hour stints.

I looked up how long it takes to drive from the west to the east coast, and it said 44 hours . . . so I would have to do that five hour stint for nine days in a row!

Not my cup-o-tea!

But I appreciate all of the ideas!
Well it is 67 hours on Amtrak, so either way.

Just depends on how much you want something.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Well it is 67 hours on Amtrak, so either way.

Just depends on how much you want something.
Wow. That's crazy! How could a train be that much slower, I wonder.

Anyway . . . yes . . . unfortunately I am not a person who likes to be uncomfortable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement