Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times

Advertisements

I’ll be 72 in a few months. Pain and fatigue just seems a normal part of getting older to me. I am particularly distressed about my lack of stamina. Any hard exercise, like squats for example, and my muscles fatigue very quickly. I’ve been working on our deck and patio the past week or so and, even taking it very slowly, I sweat like crazy, have to sit and rest periodically, my Fitbit says my pulse sometimes goes up to about 130, so it seems like I’m really exerting myself when actually I’m just doing regular old stuff. I think it’s just a thing about our bodies slowly winding down. It’s very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 AM

696 posts, read 703,841 times
If the fatigue is something new to you, it’s best the get checked out by your doctor to rule out heart problems or other issues.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:38 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
One of the common complaints heard by doctors is the vague symptom of "tiredness," I'm seventy four and always had a lot of energy, but the years have taken their toll on me, and I no longer think in terms of long days of driving, working in the yard, or any work or exercise that saps my energy to the point that I'm exhausted. And that point of exhaustion is always changing, a few years ago I was very busy building a new life with a new wife, today I'm content with the idea that being tired is normal, especially if I'm doing stuff that takes some real effort. As we age our body is changing it's routine, without our permission, it just changes, and our physical needs become much different.

My mom, in her eighties complained of some memory loss, trouble sleeping through the night, hearing issues, and a host of other stuff that soon enough became her norm. She, like most of us, had a lifetime of norms that she was comfortable with, aging wasn't something she thought of as a time of big changes, but they were, and this will be a time of big changes for all of us over seventy. Take the naps, stay up late, or sleep in, do what you can, when you can, and don't sweat the small changes, it's just aging....

Old 07-18-2019, 01:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
I'm concerned about sleep apnea, myself. I probably have it and don't know it. My sleep patterns are very bad (younger than OP). I don't have a partner to tell me if I have sleep apnea, but one of these days I'll ask my MD if I should get a study. Not overweight. Do have mild HTN treated w/ mild meds. Exercise a ton.

So OP and others, think sleep apnea if you're having issues w/ being tired. Maybe you're not getting a good night's sleep.

Last edited by TBMorgan; 07-18-2019 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,929 times
I'm 75 and my situation is similar to yours. An older friend once said "your 70's are nothing like your 60's".

I see not having an inexhaustible supply of energy as the norm as we grow older. I do feel more energetic when I take a daily vitamin.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
When my dad was about eighty he went to his doctor and complained about getting tired more rapidly than he used to. The doctor answered him rather dryly, "Yes, that usually happens around sixty or so."

Mom and I laughed about that. Dad was in such good health. But maybe the doctor should have run a few tests because a year or so after that Dad had a heart attack.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
We’re not tired all the time, we both have mild form of sleep apnea. In the last few months, I did have one day that I was unusually tired, I felt bad about, got a massage right away and felt better. It turned out I didn’t sleep as well as I thought because of one cramped muscle.

I think it’s best to check with a good reliable doctor, do not brush it up to old age.
There is a different between good tired and bad tired.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Thank you for creating this thread. I am tired a lot, have talked to my doctor about it but she never really seems to put any importance on it. I'm 77, life has not always been easy, but have been retired since about 2010 so not working, no real reason to get up early. By the time I get into bed, I'm ready to sleep. I've had a couple of times when extreme tiredness took over and I had to go to bed before my normal time and wasn't able to do the few chores I do before going to bed.

So I had a complete bloodwork done for a surgery I'm having August 2 and the one thing I noticed and don't really understand is high monocyte (11.5, normal range 2.0-10.0). Checked it out on Google and still do not know what this means.

Anybody have any familiarity with this?

Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I'm the OP and today I picked up my Atorvastatin, Ive been taking it for 2 years. I read the side affects and muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, and unusual tiredness stood out to me. I believe some of it is a side affect of this. I'll ask my dr. next time I see him. The benefits may be greater than the risk. I got a stent 2 years ago and try to eat heart healthy and I like to eat and I go to a lot of church events with snack tables with bad for you stuff that I take a little of.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
If you haven't had full blood work done lately, I'd do that. Check your level of B12, iron, and other things. Even if it's w/in the norm, being on the low end can be improved on.

Other things can cause tiredness, too, like thyroid problems. Doctors of seniors are probably very familiar w/normal vs. unusual tiredness. If they pay attention; I'm sure they hear that complaint a lot.

Worrying and brain activity can cause me to become tired, too. Lack of exercise after a while makes me feel like I'm dragging around w/o much energy. Or eating junk food, which tastes great but hits me hard later, sometimes bringing on sleepiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement