Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 AM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
This is from the federal government National Institute of Health. You can just scroll down to "6. Conclusions" (but I have the whole article very interesting). Make your own decisions, of course, but my vote, based on this article, is that you stop taking your statin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024687/
Thanks for the article; however, it is mainly a discussion of dietary fats/cholesterol....my level is naturally high, no matter what I eat or don't eat.....guess I should head back to the health forums and not side-track the original discussion here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 10:51 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Absolutely. That's why doctors and other medical authorities always recommend that you eat a lot of saturated and trans fats and drug companies are all pushing medications that help you raise your cholesterol level.
I seem to have gone through a portal to Opposite World.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
I currently live in my third 55+ community over the past 10+ years. I don't know (and haven't known) of anyone 65+ who doesn't lose energy, strength and stamina as they have aged. I'm 70, I've been going to the gym (off and on, mostly on) for the past year. I eat mostly according to the Mediterranean Diet (because I like it), I avoid sugar (don't eat a lot of fruit either), and 5-6 days a week I'm at the gym (mostly cardio), and I stopped taking my BP medication (which made me feel a lot better also). While all that has increased my energy, strength and stamina A LOT (compared to a year ago), I still don't have all that I did even five years ago (at 65, I still felt like The Energizer Bunny -- not anymore). After all, we're AGING -- our bodies are winding down.

I had a neighbor, who, at 92, recently went into Assisted Living. She was on the treadmill every morning and every late afternoon, and even she readily admitted that she became more and more tired as the years went by. Her mind was always sharp as a tack, but even she needed assisted living eventually.

My ex-BF, who is one of these Super Agers, was still downhill skiing at age 78 (he's now 83), and suddenly he just couldn't do it anymore -- didn't have the energy and strength.

Have your PCP give you a complete physical (good luck in that ever happening -- medical professionals are charged with saving saving money for whatever healthcare provider organization they work for), try cooking and preparing your meals from scratch (I've been doing that for 30 years), avoid sugar (and alcohol), and get to the gym. But even then, I can't imagine any of us feeling, at 70, like we did at even just 65.

My MD tells me that I'm in A LOT better shape than most older people, around my age, who he sees! Yeah, right. I always find that scary. Although I do sleep well (6 hours, up for 2, back for 3, at night), I still take a nap most days. And I don't feel all that great.

The ONLY thing I dislike about aging is the ever-increasing loss of energy, strength, stamina. It's a real bummer. LOL
Good post and that's what I see. I am active and do 60-90 minutes of hot yoga 5 days a week, ride my bike often, and lift weights (haven't in 6 weeks due to a shoulder injury) and my bodyfat, BMI and muscle mass are extraordinary, so I'm not zero energy but the fact is, I run out of energy by early afternoon. I miss going full bore for days on end.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Thanks for the article; however, it is mainly a discussion of dietary fats/cholesterol....my level is naturally high, no matter what I eat or don't eat.....guess I should head back to the health forums and not side-track the original discussion here!
One of the things I took from the article is that high cholesterol doesn't matter, period. I've done research over the past few years that says the exact same thing (I am not going to inundate this forum with it). And my cholesterol has been 225-250 for years -- I just don't pay attention to it.

My 'thing' is: take as few Rx drugs as possible (all of them have some bad side effects), get our 'affairs in order' and enjoy the great ride we've been having for as long as we have left. I refuse to worry about my health (I DO worry about the bad healthcare all of us in The US is getting these days -- THAT scares me -- I have worked for hospitals and volunteered in hospitals, and I've seen many patients die primarily because the hospital wanted to save a buck). I'm not 'glib' about life and death -- I just have known so many people who didn't make it to 70 (my age) -- I'm so grateful that I have, and I figure any time I have from now is pure 'gravy'.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
This is such a great topic, and the replies have been so good. I've 'forwarded' it on to non-members but friends of mine. (Yes, I have a few. LOL) I wish there were some way to print out the whole thing.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:35 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I frequently am tired in the evening but yesterday I was so tired it scared me. I'm 76 and 3 months and fairly active, I sleep good, I walk with my dogs everyday. I didn't do any partially hard work yesterday. I believe my health is good. I'm wondering if this is just the way it is. We retire because working all day is too exhausting. I do take a brief nap every afternoon, yesterday a long nap.

I'm tired a lot but I know why. I'm not active enough but my COPD keeps me from that. I don't eat right anymore and I rarely sleep more than 5 hours a night. I think I'm going through some situational depression as well, which doesn't help. I worry too much.

Losing energy has actually been a good thing for me. My whole life I've had, what I consider, an over abundance of energy. Working in restaurants and retail that is a very handy thing to 'suffer' from because you HAVE to be fast and continually on top of everything. It's kind of nice to be slowed down but it feels like I've done a total 180 and have little energy at this point.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I think that aging reduces energy. I'm early 60's and retired 7 months ago....I take an afternoon nap now and that boots me up for a while. I talked with my older sister (she's 66) and she complained of fatigue as well.

Are there people in their 70's or 80's that haven't seen a reduction in energy?
I was doing better when I was on bio identical hormones. They were costly for me though on SS, and I had to wean myself off of them with poor results. But I also have other health issues as well so I was never feeling whole no matter what I did. While on them I was able to complete two 10ks, and one 12k in 2017 at age 69, walking about 2/3rds of the way.

Hormones are a huge part of the puzzle. Once they start declining, our energy, and motivation goes with it. Our declining sex hormones can negatively affect our thyroid also. I'm speaking in generalized terms of course. Because there are some people who don't suffer as much. I am envious of them, lol. Oh well, if it isn't one thing it's three.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I currently live in my third 55+ community over the past 10+ years. I don't know (and haven't known) of anyone 65+ who doesn't lose energy, strength and stamina as they have aged. I'm 70, I've been going to the gym (off and on, mostly on) for the past year. I eat mostly according to the Mediterranean Diet (because I like it), I avoid sugar (don't eat a lot of fruit either), and 5-6 days a week I'm at the gym (mostly cardio), and I stopped taking my BP medication (which made me feel a lot better also). While all that has increased my energy, strength and stamina A LOT (compared to a year ago), I still don't have all that I did even five years ago (at 65, I still felt like The Energizer Bunny -- not anymore). After all, we're AGING -- our bodies are winding down.

I had a neighbor, who, at 92, recently went into Assisted Living. She was on the treadmill every morning and every late afternoon, and even she readily admitted that she became more and more tired as the years went by. Her mind was always sharp as a tack, but even she needed assisted living eventually.

My ex-BF, who is one of these Super Agers, was still downhill skiing at age 78 (he's now 83), and suddenly he just couldn't do it anymore -- didn't have the energy and strength.

Have your PCP give you a complete physical (good luck in that ever happening -- medical professionals are charged with saving saving money for whatever healthcare provider organization they work for), try cooking and preparing your meals from scratch (I've been doing that for 30 years), avoid sugar (and alcohol), and get to the gym. But even then, I can't imagine any of us feeling, at 70, like we did at even just 65.

My MD tells me that I'm in A LOT better shape than most older people, around my age, who he sees! Yeah, right. I always find that scary. Although I do sleep well (6 hours, up for 2, back for 3, at night), I still take a nap most days. And I don't feel all that great.

The ONLY thing I dislike about aging is the ever-increasing loss of energy, strength, stamina. It's a real bummer. LOL

Very good post, and I agree. I like this thread. It helps to know we aren't alone. But it still hurts. Aging ain't for sissies.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:49 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
I know the whole statin argument has been discussed to death on the health forum....but I still can't decide whether or not to keep taking them. Without statins, my natural level of cholesterol is in the 300 range...hereditary. And it's not due to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise...my levels have been like this since my 20's...when I was skinny and constantly running! I definitely feel more tired and achy when I take the prescribed amount of statins. I take less than prescribed in hopes of balancing everything out. And I take Q10 along with them. It's just so hard to know which is going to be more harmful in the long run....the high cholesterol levels, or the possible damage to my body from the statins and the harm to quality of life....
I have very high cholesterol too---over 300. But my HDL is very high, LDL is very low, so no way would I take statins. Cholesterol is needed for brain function. I prefer not to take meds at all (unless an emergency).

It's a personal decision, but I choose to eat meat, fats and dairy as our ancestors did. If that causes an early death (did not for my forbears), so be it.

I haven't noticed being any more tired in my 60s, but bad joints limit much former activity. I was never very energetic, but always had physical jobs and hobbies. My ex used to call it "Swedish Speed" LOL.

Never have been a napper, but sleep a full 8 hrs. My guess is lack of quality sleep creates tiredness for older folks.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I know the whole statin argument has been discussed to death on the health forum....but I still can't decide whether or not to keep taking them. Without statins, my natural level of cholesterol is in the 300 range...hereditary. And it's not due to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise...my levels have been like this since my 20's...when I was skinny and constantly running! I definitely feel more tired and achy when I take the prescribed amount of statins. I take less than prescribed in hopes of balancing everything out. And I take Q10 along with them. It's just so hard to know which is going to be more harmful in the long run....the high cholesterol levels, or the possible damage to my body from the statins and the harm to quality of life....

Gosh I know, it's difficult trying to decide what the best plan of action would be. It's such a personal decision to make. Sometimes we have to be our own detective in these things if our doctor isn't helpful. They really don't know everything unless they were constantly researching what others have found. When you first started statins could you feel a negative difference between before, and after noticeable enough to know it was caused by the statins? You could do a search for "negative effects of statins", and also "how to stop taking statins" to get as much input as possible to make a wise choice.

There was a study I read in the past that explained that statins only helped a small percentage of men who already had a heart attack (i think), but it didn't really help women at all. I paraphrased that because I don't really remember the exact terms that were used. I found it when I was following one of my rabbit trail searches, and don't think I saved it.

It's good you are taking CoQ10 as statins lower it, as you know. The article says that CoQ10 can make a certain blood thinner not work as well. But what are you going to do since CoQ10 is good for the heart. I took it several times, but could never sense a change either way. I wanted it to work though. And it's kind of expensive. But if it worked it would be worth it.

It's good you are taking less of the statins. One of the articles said that there is a difference between statins, and some kinds don't give as much of the muscle pain like others do. I wonder if you would feel better if you weaned yourself off of them, as an experiment. That might be one reason you felt better at a high cholesterol level, idk. Your doctor might have a fit since they are trained to believe that anyone with high cholesterol is going to drop dead any minute. Some of them don't like it when people think for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement