Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are you taking statins? They can make you feel tired and muzzy-headed even if you have been taking them without problems for a long time.

Something I discovered recently, is if I eat cookies or other sugary things during the day, I get very sleepy about an hour later. That sugar crash is like a sleeping pill for me.
This is what I was wondering. I changed my diet and went off of statins and blood pressure meds and all of those types of meds and I felt so much better. I had no idea how much of my "old age" was caused by these medications.

Sorry you aren't feeling well, OP. Hope you get it sorted out.

And by the way, after not eating any meat products whatsoever or even oil for a year and a half, my cholesterol was still in the 200's. I've decided they don't know what they're talking about regarding cholesterol numbers. My body just makes a lot of it, and it's not clogging up my arteries, so I'm going to assume it's keeping my brain and cells healthy, and I'm not going to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 04:20 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I think fatigue is a normal part of the aging process.

When I "retired" at 66 for the second time, one major reason was afternoon fatigue.

Now I take a nap in the afternoon for about one hour. It really helps.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm the OP and today I picked up my Atorvastatin, Ive been taking it for 2 years. I read the side affects and muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, and unusual tiredness stood out to me. I believe some of it is a side affect of this. I'll ask my dr. next time I see him. The benefits may be greater than the risk. I got a stent 2 years ago and try to eat heart healthy and I like to eat and I go to a lot of church events with snack tables with bad for you stuff that I take a little of.
I’ve been on atorvastatin for literally decades and I had a LOT more energy and stamina when younger. I agree that benefits outweigh risks since I figured I’d be the same as most of the other males in my family and be dead of heart disease by my mid-fifties.

It’s not surprising I guess that we start feeling the effects of old age. After all, even if we avoid all disease and fatal trauma, this getting older thing is eventually going to kill us, every single one of us. We’re just feeling it working on us.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm the OP and today I picked up my Atorvastatin, Ive been taking it for 2 years. I read the side affects and muscle pain, tenderness, weakness, and unusual tiredness stood out to me. I believe some of it is a side affect of this. I'll ask my dr. next time I see him. The benefits may be greater than the risk. I got a stent 2 years ago and try to eat heart healthy and I like to eat and I go to a lot of church events with snack tables with bad for you stuff that I take a little of.

You may feel better on a different statin. I was originally taking Pravachol but a Dr. switched me to Lovestatin and I gradually felt achy & weaker. I asked my new Dr. to switch me back to the Pravachol and now I feel much better again.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’ve been on atorvastatin for literally decades and I had a LOT more energy and stamina when younger. I agree that benefits outweigh risks since I figured I’d be the same as most of the other males in my family and be dead of heart disease by my mid-fifties.

It’s not surprising I guess that we start feeling the effects of old age. After all, even if we avoid all disease and fatal trauma, this getting older thing is eventually going to kill us, every single one of us. We’re just feeling it working on us.
We've been inundated with images of the elderly appearing as an in shape, fifty something model, sporting bright silver hair dye and a great tan, usually playing tennis or skydiving. This image of aging in those "active senior" housing developments is not the reality for those in our seventies and beyond. A good doc is an essential part of the recipe for aging with decent health, but, all the docs together can't bring back the past level of health we enjoyed when we were younger.

There has been a lot of talk about a single payer health care system and it's benefits, but, it has also been pointed out that we wouldn't be able to have the same level of care we have today. That's another subject for debate but most of us know that we can't expect to have decent health without a lot of effort to eat right, get good sleep, have periodic checkups, but most of all, we'll need to accept the fact of our age and the piles of miles we have on these old bodies..Someone needs to say it..There's nothing bad about living to a ripe old age, and feeling it..

Old 07-19-2019, 08:43 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I researched statins when I was given "the talk" back in the 1990s. Soon after that, I had a full body scan done and my calcium score (the indicator of buildup of plaque and any need for cholesterol mitigation) was a perfect 0. The side effect potential was about 100% worse than avoiding the stuff. No statins for me, and I walk from any doc who insists. The research at the time indicated that the one time statins became a significant positive factor was after a stent was required or there had been a cardiac event. Most people don't understand the way risk factors are calculated and reported, any more than they understand their chances of wining a lottery. Drug companies take advantage of that credulity.

Tiredness can come from so many different things that just checking all of them out can make you tired. Lack of activity, thyroid issues, poor oxygenation, sub-clinical ongoing infections, toxins from the gut biome, statins and other meds, depression, mineral imbalances, etc. can occur singly or in concert.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:09 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,572,494 times
I think I was born tired. But it's gotten exponentially worse past meno. I'm amazed that I can get anything done, much less workout like I know I should. My motto these days which I borrowed from somebody somewhere is "I start off slow, and then taper off".

Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
Go to your Doctor, I was also extremely tired,found out I had the Lymes disease.
And that is nothing to trifle with. Glad you found out. Btw, it's called Lyme Disease, named after Lyme, Connecticut where it was first identified. I used to live in Old Saybrook, and Essex in the 70's which is close to Lyme. Beautiful, but lot's of ticks. I had a couple embedded ones myself.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I was extremely tired and exhausted much of the time. I was diagnosed with IDA- iron deficiency anemia. Had infusians. Made all the difference ! Get checked out !
On the other side of the Iron coin. Men, and post menopausal women need to be extra careful about iron. Having periods helps the body get rid of excess iron which is toxic, and is stored in your organs over, and above what is needed. Without periods the body only loses about 1 mg of iron a day, and the rest is stored. Have your serum ferritin tested first before taking any supplements with iron, or even using cast iron cookware. Also certain bad bacteria LOVE iron, and consume it adoringly. Which is another reason the body can store it away from the baddies.

There is also a genetic condition called Hemochromatosis which is very common, approx 1 in 200, where we store iron at 4X the normal rate. Even carriers can load iron. People of celtic, and northern european heritage are prone to it. Aka iron overload, it can make you exhausted also, and even kill you. Most people have never heard of it before, thus the gentle warning. Blacks can have a different type of Hemochromatosis.

Iron Disorders Institute:: Classic Hemochromatosis

---------------------------------------

Old 07-19-2019, 03:57 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I'm 75 and my situation is similar to yours. An older friend once said "your 70's are nothing like your 60's".

I see not having an inexhaustible supply of energy as the norm as we grow older. I do feel more energetic when I take a daily vitamin.
I have also heard people say that your 60's are the last really good decade. That is exactly why I retired at 61. That said, I see people at the gym and in my walking group that are older and still have a lot of vitality......but you never know if you will be one of those or not. Exercise and a good diet gives us each our best shot at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement