Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM

535 posts, read 343,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I've found that I've been a victim of a lifetime of marketing and advertising. New car, new golf clubs, new golf shoes, furniture, appliances, clothing, electronics. But at a point you start thinking, WTH do I need all this stuff for? Honestly, you don't need a lot of stuff. Someday I see calling Goodwill, setting up an appointment for them to haul most of it away and heading out and living on bare minimum. It's almost cathartic getting rid of crap.
How about having a "moving" estate sale with no intention of moving?

You call in an estate sale company, keep all the stuff you want, and sell the rest. You can then give away or or donate all that doesn't sell. A garage sale is another option.

I have enjoyed my stuff for decades, but at 63 years old, I don't need it all. I am starting to give away my stuff to my adult children and other relatives. I just take a picture of it on my cell phone, send it to a family member, and then ask if they want the item. If they say "no," I move on to the next deserving relative.

If it is special and someone gave it to me, I try to give it back to a younger person on that side of the family. I have given away 3 sets of china that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 05:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I'm frugal by nature, but only so I can spend the money more places.

I think it is different for everyone, what is worth the cost, what is not.

I like cable and my DVR, plus streaming like Prime and Netflix. We rotate premium channels, every couple months we'll pay the 14.99 for HBO, binge watch unique programming, a few months later Starz, etc.

We rarely eat out, because we like our food better, I love to cook, DH loves to grill, and it's generally healthier. If we do go out it is generally more upscale, I want to eat stuff I can't easily do at home. Pretty strict with where we shop because food costs are so high, Commissary and Costco mainly. We do a lot of free activities, hike, snorkel, garden, go to the military gym 5 days a week.

I read a lot so get my books from the library (public/military).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
We don’t eat out unless we travel, and always drink water when we do. Prepare many meals ahead and put them in the freezer, when we’re tired from cooking, we just pull them out and heat them up for dinner.
I have taken my toaster and/or cooler on vacation. When I thought about taking the slow cooker my husband said "No!" He spoils the frugal fun at time, but I love him for it. I figure if I bring a loaf of bread and stick of butter, I have breakfast everyday. I can also buy sliced turkey from the deli for a few lunches. I like to eat out for dinner while traveling.

If we rent an air B n B condo or other residence, they usually have a kitchen. Love saving money on breakfasts and lunches.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Instead of Goodwill, please consider the Salvation Army or one of the myriad veteran's organizations. Why? Look into the compensation package the CEO of Goodwill receives, the amount of money he puts back into the community, and what he pays his employees.
The Salvation Army is a religious organization; it has often been called a cult. Better look before you support them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salvation_Army

Old 07-19-2019, 05:23 PM

I recently retired, so I have more time to learn a language and improve my Spanish. The university classes were three days a week and expensive. You also had to pay for books and parking.

I decided to head over to the Latino grocery store across town and practice with people who speak Spanish at least once a week. I have also discovered that the foods are cheaper. It is a win-win situation for me, and I have made some new acquaintances. I also check in with You Tube for free lessons online.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 PM

I like to buy the roasted chicken at Costco for $4.99. The first night, I make chicken breast and vegetables or salad. The second night, I make chicken tacos. The third night I either make a salad with chicken, a quesadilla with chicken, or boil the bones, remove the chicken and make chicken noodle soup with the broth from the chicken and the meat.

I try only to go to Costco if i really need toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, etc. Visiting Costco with money on your free time can get expensive. Sometimes I come home with things I liked but did not need.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:42 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
today I've decided to stop buying overpriced coffee at Panera and Starbucks - actually gave away my last giftcard that I received from one of them.....not happy w/ some of their issues in the national news, and think it has become overpriced, really......not that I can't afford it, but again, when you can make a cheap pot of coffee, why go and spend $3-4 a cup at Starbucks?
I did that a few years ago.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I like to buy the roasted chicken at Costco for $4.99. The first night, I make chicken breast and vegetables or salad. The second night, I make chicken tacos. The third night I either make a salad with chicken, a quesadilla with chicken, or boil the bones, remove the chicken and make chicken noodle soup with the broth from the chicken and the meat.

I try only to go to Costco if i really need toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, etc. Visiting Costco with money on your free time can get expensive. Sometimes I come home with things I liked but did not need.
That's why I gave up going to Costco years ago. I live alone and I'd end up spending a couple of hundred dollars every time I shopped there. If I shopped at the regular grocery store, I'd spend about $50.
I realize it's my own fault, but the best way not to spend money for me is to not be tempted by shopping where there are lots of nice things I don't need, but want.
I also don't window shop online at places like Amazon or ebay. If I need to buy something I look for it, pick out what I want and buy it. Otherwise I stay off of online shopping. It's too easy to see a nice picture of something, click on it and have it shipped for free. You really should ask yourself if it's something you really need, or something you just want.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:44 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
And we turned my brother onto Costco chicken. It is an amazing $4.99 in Alaska too. Fantastic loss leader that gets us in the door. And take the kids there for a pizza simple meal or just frozen yogurt. They are also loss leaders.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:47 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Pay for everything with a credit card that gives a cash rebate. I buy everything with a Fidelity card, 2% back, automatically deposited in my account.
I've been doing more of this. A buddy showed me what he did. He was building a new garage. He went to the Giant Eagle grocery store and bought Home Depot gift cards on his credit card.. This gave him like 90 gallons of gas and then got the rebate on his credit card also.

But anyone can do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement