Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,729 times

Advertisements

2 really bad things have happened. First, my husband ‘s pension was eliminated when the company he retired from after 37 years declared bankruptcy. It was supposed to be our main source of income.

Then, a few years after that I hurt my lower back while moving and there is nothing doctors (or I) can do for it. I’ve tried PT, radio frequency ablation, tens therapy, etc. I can walk for about 5 minutes before the pain begins.

Yet I’m grateful the 2 of us have no life-threatening illness, and that our sons and grandkids are healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I fell backward while playing picker ball, I was getting competitive, we were winning, for the first time in my life it hurt like hell. I went home and put on ice and hot bath, 3 days later, I got back to swimming. It’s so refreshing. I stopped swimming because I was starting to have skin rash, maybe it’s in the pool.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:13 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,734 times
I stopped getting a monthly paycheck!

Old 08-09-2019, 07:53 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
I have gone through some big health problems. First I had to have a hip replacement and the surgeon damaged 2 nerves and now I have tightness around my knee (and pain), a limp, and my hip still hurts. Everyone talked me into it saying how much better my life will be and how much more I will be able to do, and I can do less than I did before. It was my right hip and now I can't even drive long drives as the pain gets to be too bad. I used to be able to take off to visit my daughter for a few days by myself but those days are gone. I can't even walk around a mall without being in severe pain even with my cane.

Then I got diverticulitis and had surgery with a colostomy even though I ate lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains. Then I was reversed and now I have 2 large hernias that I am going to have to get repaired with reconstructive surgery. I have had more surgeries and hospital stays in the last 5 years than I had in the first 62 combined. It is extremely depressing.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
Six months after I retired, my husband fell and suffered a traumatic brain injury on our second wedding anniversary. We separated for the second and what was supposed to be the final time last summer. I posted here in the Retirement forum and received an amazing amount of support from so many posters. Several posts moved me to tears. This forum definitely helped get me through a terribly difficult and scary time in my life.

A strange confluence of events caused us to encounter each other seven months later. I used to say my husband turned into an entirely different person than the one I had married, and certainly not one I would have chosen to spend the rest of my life with. The first part of the sentence is still true. He is still not the man I married, but now he is much more grateful, happy, curious and caring than the angry, abusive, depressed person he became after the accident. He returned to our home at the end of March and I finally feel like I am having the retirement I had envisioned. We are even exploring spending our winters in Arizona, the kind of thing that would have sent him spiraling out of control before.

I think the main thing to be gleaned from all of these mostly heartbreaking stories is you really don’t know what tomorrow will bring. Your life can change overnight in ways you can’t imagine. Being in retirement makes these life events so much more difficult. The financial difficulties alone, not to mention the loss of the love of your life or equivalent. I know my situation could change again. In some ways it makes me even more grateful for what I have now. So, enjoy every day! But prepare for the unexpected.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
My wife contracted metastatic ovarian cancer 9 months after she retired. She still alive, still fighting it.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Who knows, maybe you will revisit this thread in a few years, and say, "Well, there was that one time I got a bunion..."

You are probably one of the lucky ones!
Sort of funny, I also retired 3 years ago, and I have acquired a bunion! A few other minor issues but also mostly ok. The one issue that is minor now will, at some point, become terrible from all reports. Hoping it takes awhile. I do wish I could lose weight.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Several close friends have died, two last month alone.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Several close friends have died, two last month alone.

I was also going to say that first losing my parents, and now friends, has been the worst.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:18 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,484 times
Ours is not exactly a sad event. Our eldest daughter had a baby in June, she teaches and is returning to work next week. We volunteered to watch him while she and her hubby work.
My wife is excited about the ‘opportunity’. I’m slightly less ecstatic (=; , but I’m sure it will be fine. We raised 3 kids successfully 30 some years ago, and we are reasonably healthy so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement