Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 PM

143 posts, read 150,554 times

Advertisements

Found out last night through DNA that who I thought was my father is not. How about that at 69? Someone with DNA links to me messaged and his Uncle was my father. Well, sperm donated. My daughter and I went over it and yes it is true. It all lines up.

I never really new my "father" and he died when I was 4, but now I have to redo a lot of genealogy work, lol. I am kinda not surprised because of the circumstances at that time. But still, geez! I did get a little quezy this morning after trying to not have deep feelings about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,900 times
You might want to share this on the Genealogy Forum.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:39 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Wow. That must have been shocking. Ignore anyone who says you shouldn't have posted this news here! It is a complete shock IN RETIREMENT to find out who you thought your dad was not really your dad. It messes with your complete identity. You are going to have to process and assimilate this - not something anyone would think they would have to do in retirement.

I "get" how totally bizarre this news would be and how it would mess with you!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:59 PM

178 posts, read 124,425 times
I acquired a new half sister through dna analysis. It wasn’t traumatic for me but it was very traumatic for her, since she just learned through this that the father she grew up with is not her biological father. Yes, these revelations can be very impactful.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Ancestry.com now has "thru lines" that draw a line right through the generations and the first time I looked, it occurred to me that it would be absolutely sickening and very upsetting if I saw a break in those lines. Thank goodness my father was my father and my mother was my mother. If it happened at the grandparent level or further back, it wouldn't have been quite as bad, but bad enough.

Finding and knowing your family history is part of your identity so I can only imagine how it must feel to have that identity shattered and to realize that you are not really who you thought you were. BTW, if you do want to post on the Genealogy Forum too, go right ahead.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 PM

143 posts, read 150,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ancestry.com now has "thru lines" that draw a line right through the generations and the first time I looked, it occurred to me that it would be absolutely sickening and very upsetting if I saw a break in those lines. Thank goodness my father was my father and my mother was my mother. If it happened at the grandparent level or further back, it wouldn't have been quite as bad, but bad enough.

Finding and knowing your family history is part of your identity so I can only imagine how it must feel to have that identity shattered and to realize that you are not really who you thought you were. BTW, if you do want to post on the Genealogy Forum too, go right ahead.
Yes, I will, thanks. Perhaps others can share a similar experience. It does have me shook. I have a great life and loving family, but someone else who doesn't, i am sure it would be worse.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I stay away from the whole DNA-genealogy thing. I have no reason to doubt anything but still, I figure let sleeping dogs lie. Of course my sister has gotten into it which in a way drags me in because we share DNA. She is always telling me about distant cousins she is finding but it doesn't do anything for me.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:19 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Explain to me again how all this DNA testing is a good thing.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:42 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I stay away from the whole DNA-genealogy thing. I have no reason to doubt anything but still, I figure let sleeping dogs lie. Of course my sister has gotten into it which in a way drags me in because we share DNA. She is always telling me about distant cousins she is finding but it doesn't do anything for me.
Amen.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:46 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Explain to me again how all this DNA testing is a good thing.
The connections you make! My paternal great great grandparents were from Mexico. When they immigrated here, the family name could be spelled two ways. I finally made contact with parts of the family that had not had contact since the 40s. Its fascinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement