Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't find these to be at all helpful or interesting.

One reason they are close to useless is the diversity within each State. In NY we have economically low cost areas, a number of major cities and of course NYC. These areas are all very different.
You hit the nail on the head. We could not be happier about having retired to where we are in Tennessee. But there is no way you could get me to move to West Tennessee or to one of the large cities or to one of the many rundown small towns that are throughout the state.

Trying to give a blanket good or bad for an entire state seems to be an exercise in futility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
It says the best state to retire to is South Dakota.

Um, sure.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:08 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Many of these lists have some place thats freezing cold as the best place. Something thats instantly no consideration to me.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

Um, sure.
Different strokes for different folks. It wouldn't be my choice, but I have a cousin who retired to Brookings SD and they could not be happier.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Most people don't retire to other states. Chances are their kids and grand kids are where they lived all their lives. And, to get up and move costs 8%-10% of the house you're selling. People think all of a sudden they'll get thin, happy and hemorrhoid free by moving to another state. Too many glossy brochures of fit oldsters playing golf and tennis sipping cocktails court side.
You may think you'll have this every day

But you won't have this every day.
The days of your kids living “where they have lived all their lives†is a thing of the past. Looking at all of my friends, few have kids who didn’t move to other states or countries for jobs.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Most people don't retire to other states. Chances are their kids and grand kids are where they lived all their lives. And, to get up and move costs 8%-10% of the house you're selling. .
Nah, it can be lots less. Our move overseas through the Panama Canal with a shipping container was only
the price of selling our used Toyota Rav4.

Nowhere near selling our property.

Has someone done a poll on who moved to another state in retirement? Surely, there must be!

Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

Um, sure.
Actually SD has some absolutely beautiful areas. It is low cost and has some very attractive areas for living. The winter climate is the biggest downfall.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I guess I better pack up my bags the day I retire. Otherwise, I'm doomed if I stay in Maryland. Been here my whole life and I knew it was expensive and congested but, dang! worst overall?

Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Actually SD has some absolutely beautiful areas. It is low cost and has some very attractive areas for living. The winter climate is the biggest downfall.
Yes, and if there are two factors I've learned from this forum about how people choose where they will retire they are cost of living, and weather.

If I had to guess, I'd say cost of living (which includes taxes) is 60% of most peoples decision and weather being the other 40%. Almost every other reason is negligible except those who want to be near kids and grandkids. Of course there is what I call the lemming factor as well where people tend to move where others do.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
Maryland being ranked worst is not such a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement