Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:50 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post

I'm still trying to think of a use for all those bread crumbs in that tray at the bottom of my toaster.
Use the crumbs in meatloaf or to coat chicken if you're making fried chicken. Now me, I crumble them down very fine, spray paint them black, then use them for miniature garden or flower beds for my dollhouse. Most people use coffee grounds for that, but I don't drink coffee, so this would work just as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 PM

558 posts, read 338,306 times
Bakery outlets. Bread that is within 2 days of the label in the supermarket goes back to bakery. Perfectly good, same $3.79 bread at the store is as low as a dollar. If you spend $10, you get a few loaves for free. They are literally giving it away. No one wants to throw out the food they made. It's a dollar more than they get before it goes to the food bank.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I rarely waste food.

Most items I purchase, such as clothing or decor items, I purchase from Goodwill.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If I buy it online I will use one of the cash rebate services too & also use a credit card that gives me points for travel.

And that way I'm able to travel pretty often overseas because of the free, or almost free air tickets
I get. I typically stay at BnB's or 2 star hotels & avoid the typical tourist "sights" preferring to stay in residential areas & eat in the locals cafes & I do a lot of self guided walking tours. I wash my t-shirts, underwear & socks in my hotel at night.

I haven't carried a charge over on a credit card since 1995 but I charge every single little thing on my credit card for the travel points.
About how much do you need to charge to get the frequent free air tickets you get?

Old 09-27-2019, 09:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
I make my own moonshine.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:22 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Mow our yard ourselves. Buy used cars. Perform my own auto maintenance, sometimes getting replacement parts from Junk Yards. Clean our home ourselves. Cook our meals ourselves.
Same here, except the auto maintenance, I am in no way a mechanic!!!

Also cut cable TV and phone completely, keep only internet for streaming and WiFi. Use antenna for free TV.

I was a cook since age 9, and have cooked in 4 star restaurants, so yes I cook very well. I even serve all our meals restaurant style. Anyone who doesn't know how to cook, can watch any number of cooking shows on PBS' Create channel. It's basically time, temp and ingredients.

Clothes... I hit the clearance racks at Walmart, for instance I lost almost 100pounds and I needed new clothes 3 and 4 sizes smaller. Got 6 new size Polo shirts with pockets for $3 each. Yes $3! Also picked up some long sleeve shirts at Walmart clearance for$7 each. Those prices are lower than the local salvation army or Goodwill stores.
Also, those two stores never carried the larger sizes I used to wear.

I shop only at Aldi and Walmart grocery, unless the regional or local chains have excellent prices. I go in early just after they Mark down the meat that expires that day or the next. I either cook it or freeze it for later use. I refuse to Pay More that $10 for any package of beef, a Sunday treat. I get the Mark down rotisserie chicken at Walmart...you can't beat it at $2.45!!!

I pick up coins on the ground. Ditto returnable cans/bottles. I ain't too proud.

We turn off lights early to watch TV by TV and one led dim lamp only. Since electric, Nat. Gas and a/c is on one bill, we did what we can to save there. We also qualify for HEAP, though we don't get much. We keep the house at 65f for a high and turn down for about 10hours to 60f. We spend most time in the bonus room, and usually only run a/c there. Then only the br at night. We try to only run just one of the 4, window a/cs. At any time. Sometimes just 2.

If I think of more, I'll post more.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Based on almost all of the "poor" people I know and/or have dealt with, what I do that they do is buy cigarettes first.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
About how much do you need to charge to get the frequent free air tickets you get?
In the past I would get a card that awards an initial 50-60,000 point bonus after spending about $3,000. A round trip to Europe costs 60K points so right there I'd have a flight or one very soon. A round trip to Asia is about 70K points. As mentioned, I charge everything on my card & never carry over a charge that would trigger a fee - I pay in full each month. It's easy to charge a minimum of $24K+ annually just on day to day expenses & bills, more if you have a business, a few large one time purchases & pay your federal taxes with the CC. (There is typically a $5-6 fee when redeeming points, the only charge for your ticket.)

The airline affiliated cc scheme is shifting now & awards may cost more points since they are being transitioned to ticket price/availability rather than distance more & more.

Now I put all bills/charges/etc on a new bank affiliated cc that has a travel point accrual useful for a number of airlines/hotels/etc., I still have about 400K points remaining with my airline card so I am using that up before the award redemptions inflate too much.

It is worth looking into if this works with normal spending to get a "travel bonus" if you like that. There are also some cc that will rebate $$ to you instead including some with no annual fee.

I just look at these as another form of currency being offered to me.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I make my own moonshine.
Now HERE's a WINNER! Love to see pictures of your still, girl.

Will I go blind?

Old 09-29-2019, 09:21 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

We keep the house at 65f for a high and turn down for about 10hours to 60f. We spend most time in the bonus room, and usually only run a/c there. Then only the br at night. We try to only run just one of the 4, window a/cs. At any time. Sometimes just 2.

If I think of more, I'll post more.

I have to question this: Cooling to 65?? That's pretty dang low, for someone trying to conserve.

Then 10 hours at 60??? I doubt my a/c units would even go that low!

I would actually LOVE that, but for conservation, I stay at 75/77 during the day (usually no a/c, just a fan) and the a/c set at 70 for night sleep with a bedroom unit.

That keeps our electric bill about $45. Propane stove...but electric water heater. All our lights are LED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement