Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Haven't been there in a long time, so if India now has e-visa, it is no longer among the good examples. Try Pakistan. For decades, India was notorious for visa waiting time.
The post you replied to specifically mentioned that many nations now have e-visas.
You said that e-visas are money grabs and that India's takes two weeks.
Now you're saying "if India now has an e-visa" and are bringing up Pakistan.

As kevm has noted several times, you're always attempting to shift the argument you made.

Quote:
I come up with this kind of stuff same place you do -- personal experience, mostly. If yours is more up to date, there are civil ways to express it.
After about the 500th time hearing you state something as fact that is false, it gets an eye-roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The overstay violation is obviously determined on exit.
What if you never leave? A hypothetical might be an 81-year-old American who doesn't want to be helplessly bound to a country with no provision for medically assisted end of life?

Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,227,494 times
I am speechless at your creativity, not to mention selective quoting. My time on this earth is limited and I’d prefer to spend it differently than responding to you. May peace be with you!

Old 10-28-2019, 06:58 PM

In other words, "I cannot imagine being an American octogenarian, so this must be a troll". Judging by the time stamps, you gave my question less than two minutes of thought, including composition time..

Funny how I pose a serious question with direct relevance to the thread title, and is pertinent to a certain demographic, and all I get is abuse from millennials who call me Dude.

Last edited by cebuan; 10-28-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 PM

No disrespect but we simply differ on what is a serious question. And it doesn’t take long to ascertain that in the context of the exchange so far.

PS: I called you a ‘friend’ in the exchange so far, not dude.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:17 PM

OK. Let me rephrase my question.

I'm an 81 year old American, beginning to make end-of-life plans. All countries that legalize medically-assisted suicide happen to be Schengen. What are the chances that I would be discovered and deported, if I went there wlile still able-bodied to just wait it out?

If I had phrased it that way, a moderator would have deleted it, as asking advice about committing what in the USA is a crime. Or, at best, shifted it to a different forum dealing with aging, care giving or health, where I would have received less knowledgeable answers.. So I posed the question the way I did.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
If you are currently living in the USA, have you considered retiring outside of the US? If so, where and why? Thank you!
Yes. Tried it in my 40's by moving to Mexico, horribly bad idea. Should have kept my US property and stayed in the states.

Retiring in another country is not better than staying in the states. You can always move to an affordable state or city in the US and have US laws and protections you won't have in another country.

Always question anyone telling you it will be better in another country - odds are REALLY good that they will profit by your decision to move there.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Cebuan -

Sorry about misunderstanding the intent and seriousness of your question. I don't see anything wrong with the question - except that it is off topic and you might be better advised to start a separate thread. Regardless, I sincerely hope you do not need this. But first - read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide. You will find that:
Quote:
All countries that legalize medically-assisted suicide happen to be Schengen.
is incorrect. There are countries outside Schengen where assisted suicide is legal. In terminal cases, it is legal in a limited set of states inside the USA as well.

I do not believe there is any open-ended Schengen visa that will cover it, but I do not know why one would need that. Afterall, the final exit date in the case of assisted suicide is decided by the subject, and it should be possible to do it within the 90 days of arrival into Schengen. Of course, you might prefer to relocate yourself to the country in question permanently ahead of time - but then you need to look at non-visitor visas and a whole lot of other issues (and expenses) that go with that.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes. Tried it in my 40's by moving to Mexico, horribly bad idea. Should have kept my US property and stayed in the states.

Retiring in another country is not better than staying in the states. You can always move to an affordable state or city in the US and have US laws and protections you won't have in another country.

Always question anyone telling you it will be better in another country - odds are REALLY good that they will profit by your decision to move there.
Are these universal truths, or just your personal position. This thread is explicitly seeking those who may view this question differently.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM

49 posts, read 31,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Are these universal truths, or just your personal position. This thread is explicitly seeking those who may view this question differently.
It's common sense, certainly, not to jump into sinking a chunk of your retirement cash into overseas real estate. The problem is if/when you want/need to sell. Real estate markets abroad are impacted by different factors than the market here, laws about taking any monies OUT of the country are different and can change on a dime. If you own a property abroad, inheritance laws may impact how you will be able to leave it in a will, the kinds of taxes your heirs will have to pay, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement