Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:47 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Let's go all Reverse Tea Bagger over it.
That type of regressive consumer tax is not what Mr. Economy wants right now Alfie My Boy!

Pardon me, but could I interest you in a tax on Wall St. stock exchanges and capital markets instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
That type of regressive consumer tax is not what Mr. Economy wants right now Alfie My Boy!

Pardon me, but could I interest you in a tax on Wall St. stock exchanges and capital markets instead?
Hell, you could sweep me off my feet by proposing a nationalization of the banks, but I suspect you're too timid for that, big guy.

But back to Rhode Island. We simply must wring every possible penny out of the moochers who drive cars. Spare the rod, spoil the manifold!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
CT abolished its tolls years ago realizing the unneeded congestion they caused.

Improving 146 is I'm sure not a priority to the state for many reasons.

I got a radical idea for the roads, how about using the gas tax entirely for its intended purpose?
we agree on your last thought. Many states use these funds solely for that purpose. We have an "all revenue goes into the general fund" mentality.

As for Ct. They abolished their tolls after two accidents within two months when toll collectors were killed by out of control vehicles running over toll booths. They have missed the revenue brought in by those tolls. They are reconsidering tolls on 95 and other roads, both interstate and state roads. There will be no toll collectors. As you stated employees and administration costs are high, but many states are already using "Sakonnet Bridge Technology. Massachusetts is soon to move in this direction ridding itself of toll booths on the Mass Pike.

Many reasons not to improve 146? How about safety, as it is one of the most dangerous divided roadways in the state. The Mansfield Road traffic light backs up traffic to 295. It would give the area better access to central Mass and the Mass Pike. Route 146 was improved to Route 123, but other improvements have been put on hold for lack of funding.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post

Many reasons not to improve 146? How about safety, as it is one of the most dangerous divided roadways in the state. The Mansfield Road traffic light backs up traffic to 295. It would give the area better access to central Mass and the Mass Pike. Route 146 was improved to Route 123, but other improvements have been put on hold for lack of funding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Portions of the interstate highway system are more than 50 years old. The largest public works project in the world and the economic lifeline to every community in America, the interstate highways are crumbling due to neglect, lack of maintenance, and inadequate funding. From an initial investment of $129 billion – the actual cost to first build the interstate highway system – it will now cost America between $1.3 trillion and $2.5 trillion to rebuild the interstate highways over the next 50 years.
Everyone wants fine, smooth ribbons of highway; problem is, no one wants to pay for it. It costs what it costs to maintain roads and bridges. Are tolls the answer to Rhode Island's deficient highways and byways? I don't know. But I do know it will cost more money than is currently allocated, and that money has to come from somewhere. Anyone have a better idea?

(I don't own or need a car --- I walk most everywhere, and my solution to coping with the yawning potholes on Providence streets and sidewalks has been to wear hiking books -- I gave up riding my bike within months of moving here because I blew out two tires from potholes in short order.)

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 10-14-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
and that money has to come from somewhere. Anyone have a better idea?
Welfare. And after they cut welfare, cut it again. Make RI every freeloader's worst nighmare, and you will see many improvements.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
Sure a few of the exits/intersections could use some improvements. The road overall (especially north of 295) just doesn't have the traffic volume to justify spending money on major expansion. There are much greater needs elsewhere in the state. And face it, that part of RI doesn't have the same political pull as some other areas. It is at the back of the line.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:53 PM

4,407 posts, read 3,198,584 times
Quote:
Welfare. And after they cut welfare, cut it again. Make RI every freeloader's worst nighmare, and you will see many improvements.
Like more homeless, and starving children? Kids dropping out of school to work in dead end jobs?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Like more homeless, and starving children? Kids dropping out of school to work in dead end jobs?
Try again.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,998,638 times
Quote:
Yeah, already did that. We also have one of the smallest government work forces in the country. Get on the ole' goog.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Yeah, already did that. We also have one of the smallest government work forces in the country. Get on the ole' goog.
Please re-read my post and notice how I said "cut it again" after it has been cut. Smallest government workforces? RI is also a small state. Local governments are bloated beyond belief. If the government is so lean and entitlements are bare bones, then RI must have lower than average taxes right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island