Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:18 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times

Advertisements

High speed is the future baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSpy View Post
It would follow from your claim that in order for public transportation to be more environmentally friendly more people should use public transport to ensure transit runs at capacity. If transit doesn't run at capacity more people need to be persuaded to use it.

However, I cordially invite you to take any commuter train from Providence to Boston, for example, in the morning and evening hours and see for yourself that these trains run at capacity.
Exactly. I have taken the commuter trains when they were at capacity, but seldom see a full bus. And the commuter trains don't run at capacity other than at rush hour. It was an interesting article, but damned if I can find it.

Alfie, not sure about bus capacities, but they used 70 in the article.. I have to go find it.

And I am all for public transportation, as long as it is efficient. I never liked the central-hub approach that RI has. And the heat here precludes many people from using it to its potential. No one wants to sit at a bus stop for 15 minutes in 115 degree heat in the summer. And the monorail is more of a tourist attraction, as it doesn't even go to the airport.

I agree about high-speed rail. Much prefer that from Prov to NY than driving through god-forsaken CT on I-95!

Old 10-16-2013, 04:40 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
It was an interesting article, but damned if I can find it.
This here maybe:
Freakonomics » Can Mass Transit Save the Environment? Right Wing or Left Wing, Here’s a Post Everybody Can Hate

Old 10-16-2013, 04:54 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Similar.. But captures the gist. Full buses = good. Empty buses driving around = bad.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Similar.. But captures the gist. Full buses = good. Empty buses driving around = bad.
I'm only speaking anecdotally but I see a lot of buses quite full. I'm most familiar with the #14, the #92 and the #31, but I do walk through KP (lucky me) a good deal and I see lines of people boarding buses. Plus, let's not forget that buses pick up and drop of passengers along their routes, which affects total ridership per trip. Do you have any data to suggest RIPTA is riding on empty?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
OK, but you didn't say any of that. You said we need to "cut welfare"....and I was just pointing out that we already did that, and it doesn't actually fix anything unless decreasing revenues and starving citizens is your solitary goal. (Speaking strictly economically here.) Of course you've also espoused that New Yorkers and people from Connecticut gravitate here for our generous welfare, which is flat out false - since they actually have more substantial social programs than we do.

In terms of lower than average returns you'd have to post data on that. (And please, not data more than three or four years old.) All the date I've seen consistently puts us in intermediate to positive territory in most categories, nationally.
RI is tied with NJ on the "Hourly Wage Equivalent"and less than $1 below NY for its welfare recipients. The cost of living in RI is significantly lower than both of those states, making the move worthwhile for many.

Now please post data on how CT and NY "actually have more substantial social programs than we do". I don't know what that is all about?

ttp://statisticbrain.chom/welfare-statistics/

RI is also tied with ME for being the 2nd highest in welfare spending as a percentage of its GSP (showing where the state's real priorities are).

Compare Spending By State for 2014 - Charts

Now for state and local taxes, RI is ranked as the 5th highest.

http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/10/Tax-Ranks.jpg

How is that paying off?

Let's take a look at education:

RI ranks #30 in HS graduation rates.

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/ALL/Graduation/

#37 in percentage of residents who graduated from HS.

State rankings of high school and college graduation rates - The Business Journals

#35 in Math and Science

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

All very mediocre results.

Road repair, RI ranks #49 with only the unpaved tundra traks of Alaska being worse.

Which states have the worst roads?- MSN Money

And oh yeah, RI has the 3rd highest unemployment rate.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/...nt-update.aspx

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Please, everyone stay on topic (tolls).

Old 10-19-2013, 06:56 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I see no reason why car drivers should get a free ride on highways. It seems to me a $4.00 each way toll on Route 95 would be a great way of raising needed revenue. That revenue could go to improve RIPTA, or, better yet, build light rail in Providence. It's time that car moochers paid their fair share!
You're suggesting that a driver would have to pay $8.00 just to drive in/out of say Providence every day?

If something like this were ever to happen, people would simply use back roads to avoid the toll. Especially if you have people coming into work in Providence from Mass or Connecticut.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You're suggesting that a driver would have to pay $8.00 just to drive in/out of say Providence every day?

If something like this were ever to happen, people would simply use back roads to avoid the toll. Especially if you have people coming into work in Providence from Mass or Connecticut.
Doesn't have to be $4, could be $2. The toll amount would be dictated by the amount of revenue the state wants to raise. I can't find figures for the number of cars that use Route 95 in Rhode Island, but the Delaware toll bridge, which charges $4 in one direction only generates $77 million per year. That kind of money would fill a lot of potholes!

As to toll-avoidance, traffic deterrence could easily be implemented.

Sorry, no free rides. Motorists, pay your fair share!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:27 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
That kind of money would fill a lot of potholes!
So now you want to use it on potholes?

Quote:
As to toll-avoidance, traffic deterrence could easily be implemented.
Please explain.

Quote:
Sorry, no free rides. Motorists, pay your fair share!
Between the gas tax, local auto tax, DMV fees as well as the taxes everybody pays; believe me, we do!

In Providence, it is not uncommon to be paying over $1000 in auto tax on one vehicle! THEY are subsidizing YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island