Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM

5,241 posts, read 6,156,300 times

Advertisements

This is getting fairly common amongst states now as a way of building revenue.....

I-95 toll bid details proposed improvement projects - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Richmond's Latest Business & Economic News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So now you want to use it on potholes?
Transportation improvements of various kinds. You know, like fixing highways and local streets, upgrading bridges, improving mass transit -- fixing things that move people from point A to point B.

Quote:
Please explain.
Use various traffic schemes to make shortcuts less attractive.

Quote:
Between the gas tax, local auto tax, DMV fees as well as the taxes everybody pays; believe me, we do!

In Providence, it is not uncommon to be paying over $1000 in auto tax on one vehicle! THEY are subsidizing YOU.
No, you don't pay enough. If you paid enough, then highways and roads and bridges would be in good condition, but they aren't, are they? It's expensive to maintain a road network and clearly the revenue extracted from car and truck drivers is insufficient to meet these costs -- simple math.

As to subsidizing me, well, there's a kernel of truth to that, but it hides the larger truth. Fact is, my carbon footprint is very light. Aside from exhaling and occasionally farting, I don't emit unhealthy gasses, the way cars do. I don't tear up roads with my hiking boots, I don't need an extra lane of highway to accommodate my travels. Yes, mass transit is slightly subsidized, but it keeps us off the streets! And it reduces the need for construction of more highways, were we to all adopt the single passenger car model. Fact is, I deserve a rebate.

Pay Your Fair Share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
This is getting fairly common amongst states now as a way of building revenue.....

I-95 toll bid details proposed improvement projects - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Richmond's Latest Business & Economic News
Personally, I think driving a car is a selfish act that should be heavily taxed. Of course, it's very easy for me to say that because I've never needed a car, having lived in cities all my life, but still I think the use of cars, as opposed to using public transport, is a selfish deed.

Want to drive on safe roads? Pay Your Fair Share!

Last edited by AlfieBoy; 10-19-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
No, you don't pay enough.[/b] If you paid enough, then highways and roads and bridges would be in good condition, but they aren't, are they? It's expensive to maintain a road network and clearly the revenue extracted from car and truck drivers is insufficient to meet these costs -- simple math.
We do pay enough, but the money doesn't go where it should. One of Rhode Island's flaws is the same as the state where I hail from originally. (Florida.) And that is, everything goes into the "General Fund". So other than projects that are voted on at the Ballot Box, it takes daunting discipline to make sure that money derived from the gasoline tax (for example), actually goes into transportation funding. It's supposed to in theory, but that is not always the reality.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
We do pay enough, but the money doesn't go where it should. One of Rhode Island's flaws is the same as the state where I hail from originally. (Florida.) And that is, everything goes into the "General Fund". So other than projects that are voted on at the Ballot Box, it takes daunting discipline to make sure that money derived from the gasoline tax (for example), actually goes into transportation funding. It's supposed to in theory, but that is not always the reality.
You don't pay enough. You need to pay until your palms bleed, pal!

Fact is, Rhode Island isn't the only state that uses its gasoline tax to support general funds and other initiatives.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. So fork over and Pay Your Fair Share!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 PM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
Quote:
Personally, I think driving a car is a selfish act that should be heavily taxed. Of course, it's very easy for me to say that because I've never needed a car, having lived in cities all my life, but still I think the use of cars, as opposed to using public transport, is a selfish deed.
Everyone who drives in RI is already very heavily taxed and does not need to be further taxed. You are being very selfish if you don't realize that it is far from practical for everyone to use public transport. When you get old and gray and/or physically impeded in any way you'll know why. It is also a huge time waster for anyone not conveniently served by public transport and that's thousands of people around the entire state.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Everyone who drives in RI is already very heavily taxed and does not need to be further taxed. You are being very selfish if you don't realize that it is far from practical for everyone to use public transport. When you get old and gray and/or physically impeded in any way you'll know why. It is also a huge time waster for anyone not conveniently served by public transport and that's thousands of people around the entire state.
Very old people shouldn't drive, and buses are equipped to accommodate the handicapped. Besides, public transport, with additional funds from tolls, can improve the frequency and reach/range of their offerings -- we need not all be slaves to cars.

Look, I'm offering a solution to a vexing problem: overuse of road infrastructure and a lack of funds to improve the situation. It's easy to carp and whine about taxes, but at least I'm offering ideas. What do you propose? Let's focus on solutions, not recriminations.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
this thread is a waste of bandwith.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Bandwidth, not bandwith. But thank you for your usual insightful contribution.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post

My rep tank is full for you; rep: You've got that right!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:52 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,999,185 times
Quote:
Fact is, Rhode Island isn't the only state that uses its gasoline tax to [url="http://www.wpri.com/target-12/target-12-crunching-the-gas-tax-paid-at-ri-pumps"]support general funds and other initiatives.[/URL
I agree, I made the point that Florida uses the General Fund mechanism also. Does that make it a good idea? Usually if Florida is doing something....it's not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island