Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Yes, but has he learned his lesson, or will a new Cianci administration be back to crooked business as usual? He was a very good mayor, but personally I can't look past his mistakes. But what I think doesn't much matter, because I don't live in Providence and won't be voting there but if I were, I wouldn't support Cianci. The need for strong leadership does not justify looking past his criminal history. After all, aren't honesty and integrity a big part of strong leadership?
I agree to an extent, but you have to look at the other contenders. Elorza leaves a LOT of questions. Harrop seems a bit of an empty suit, but regardless he will not win. Buddy made mistakes, he did his time. He also is able, cares deeply about the city; and like he said (or something to the extent of) he will be the most watched politician in America. I see the risk very low, considering he is really the only man up for the job. He is Providence's only hope of coming back again. Much better off with the Devil You Know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
This is the Rhode Island forum. Kindly observe the ToS and take your Obama Derangement Syndrome to, you know, "Conspiracies" or some other more appropriate forum. Thank you for your cooperation.

So, oh sagacious one, who are you voting for? C'mon, you're not shy about dispensing your "opinion" as to who should be mayor of our fair city, so who are you voting for as mayor of PVD?
Of course this is the RI Forum! And RIers have learned the danger of a poor inexperienced (Mr. Community Organizer") leader at the top. One of the reasons Buddy is ahead!

As a Providence "resident" (Mr. Johnny Come Lately Manhattan Boy); why don't you tell us who YOU support and why, rather than continuing to talk trash? Not interested in the misguided and perverted reasons, but who would be best for the City of Providence?

Now stop the baiting.

Last edited by massnative71; 09-24-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
lol. you don't know the stats on that. but even if the majority of them do not live in
the city, it's not important.. because it's a big blow against the anti-Buddy camp.
Major blow. The benefits of a police and fire endorsement expand far beyond their
groups.. into the general public's impressions of whom these most important city
departments want to be their mayor... it affects their vote, gives them confidence.
Yeah, how'd those union endorsements work out for Clay Pell?

Buddy may win, but I don't think it will be because of any endorsement. But you've hit on something. I heard a bit of Buddy speaking to his supporters the other day about how they're going to believe in themselves again.

Buddy tells self loathing, self denigrating, self-doubting Rhode Islanders that they're ok and their city is great, and they believe him.

Why is that? Why do they believe it when he says it but can't believe it on their own or when anyone else says it? It's like the cult of Buddy.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree to an extent, but you have to look at the other contenders. Elorza leaves a LOT of questions. Harrop seems a bit of an empty suit, but regardless he will not win. Buddy made mistakes, he did his time. He also is able, cares deeply about the city; and like he said (or something to the extent of) he will be the most watched politician in America. I see the risk very low, considering he is really the only man up for the job. He is Providence's only hope of coming back again. Much better off with the Devil You Know...
You can't be better off with the Devil. Just because you don't know the other two, doesn't mean you're better off with the Devil. I'll take purgatory over the Devil, thank you.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
You can't be better off with the Devil. Just because you don't know the other two, doesn't mean you're better off with the Devil. I'll take purgatory over the Devil, thank you.
What if the other is the Devil In Sheep's Clothing?

Old 09-24-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
I'm sure there is some truth to that, which is sad. The last thing I want to do for most police and fire departments in RI is give them what they want. There are the inflated pensions, grossly excessive disability retirements, and failure to discipline their own when scandals emerge in areas like officially-sanctioned cheating on promotion exams or rings of cops covering for each other to claim false overtime hours, just for a start. Or in Cranston, police issuing parking tickets to citizens in deliberate retribution for how some of the city council members voted. Or the North Prov police chief who stole someone's wallet from a crime scene!

Getting my property tax bill made look up some city budget numbers, and it truly is impressive. Cranston spends nearly 400% more per capita on its fire department than a typical US city of its size -- twice as much as Cranston spends on police, actually, which given the crime problems in Cranston seems like a poor choice of priorities. But statewide, that's pretty typical; even compared to such firefighter friendly cities as Boston or Chicago, RI spends a _lot_ on firemen, and police aren't far behind in how disproportionate spending is.

So no, police and fire union support isn't a plus in my book.
Yep, Providence is bleeding out over $2 million a MONTH in accidental disability pensions. It used to be that 8 out of 10 firefighters and 5 out of 10 police officers retired early with a tax free disability pension and a generous COLA. Those numbers have gotten a bit better, but I think Cranston's are still about that high with their firefighters. Not that Providence's are a whole lot better, mind you, something like 30% now.

I'm with you, neguy. Everyone is very aware of this, and I think snowball imagines a great deal more respect for those two unions than actually exists! They don't live here, they don't pay taxes here, and then they reap a big pension that they won't pay taxes on. None of that adds up to well-respected pillars of society.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What if the other is the Devil In Sheep's Clothing?
You can't know until you know. When you die and they say this direction is the Devil and the other direction is...well, I don't know, will you choose the Devil because you know him?

I'd take my chances, and so I will.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
You can't know until you know. When you die and they say this direction is the Devil and the other direction is...well, I don't know, will you choose the Devil because you know him?

Some of Mr. Elorza's transgressions have already come to light. It's a dirty business, and no politician is going to be anywhere near perfect. They certainly won't last long if they are.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:36 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:

Huh ?

The famous saying goes like this: "The devil you know is better than the one you don't know."

Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Huh ?

The famous saying goes like this: "The devil you know is better than the one you don't know."
Uh, actually, no. The quote is "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island