Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Ah, "gutter" ring a bell? You're a fine one to talk about "hatred and bigotry!" Did you buy CD? If not, mind your own bidness (can just imagine what that might be)

I vote in this election; you don't. I live with the consequences of this maniac's governance; you don't.
"Gutters" reference places rather than people, I tend to call it like it is. I wouldn't dare degrade an entire subset of the population whether it be based on age, gender, race, religion, etc. That is hatred, and low class.

Once again, tell us about all those taxes you pay the city (and those kids of yours who have to be educated in the Providence Public Schools). Tell us about those potholes that tear up your, uh, never mind. The mayor's race has little/no effect to someone such as yourself (probably no more than me). Don't worry, Snow St. will still be a hoppin regardless of who gets in.

Quote:
"Worthy charities?" LOL! This from a twice-convicted felon who admitted that his signature "worthy charity," his sauce, never raised a dime for -- wait, wait -- charity!

No, my parents are long gone. They immolated themselves when The Great Satan, Ronnie Reagan, was elected.
Utter nonsense! The sauce has been on the market since the 90s and only in the past 4 years (due to low sales) did it not make any money for charity. In spite of that, he has an active fund that regularly gives scholarships to Providence school kids.

Great Satan??? Who are you to be talking that about probably the best leader in modern times! Remember, back when LEADERSHIP (and results) were a valued attribute in a presidency?

Last edited by massnative71; 09-22-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 05:32 PM

4,389 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Indicted does not equal a conviction or guilt. No one will really ever know what happened on that night. It is one man's word against the other. Let's now focus on which candidate is best for the future of Providence.
Yes, conviction is different than indicted, and he was convicted of assault. The grand jury felt there was enough evidence to prosecute him for kidnapping and extortion as well, but Buddy pled out.

So it's not one man's word against the other. Buddy pled guilty.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Buddy pled guilty.
To Assault. End of story. Drop it and move on please.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Yes, conviction is different than indicted, and he was convicted of assault. The grand jury felt there was enough evidence to prosecute him for kidnapping and extortion as well, but Buddy pled out.

So it's not one man's word against the other. Buddy pled guilty.
Sandy, is it me, or is it something else, that finds -- even in legal terms -- felony assault as a clearly disqualifying appellation for a mayor?

I searched shyster sites for a good definition of a felony assault:

Quote:
Felony Assault: A felony assault charge will usually involve some measure of violence. Simply threatening someone with violence will not garner such a severe charge. A criminal assault will be classified as a felony if it involves the infliction of serious bodily injury, possibly involving the use of a dangerous weapon. In such cases, the felony assault charge may be accompanied by other charges such as battery, weapon possession and more. The penalty for a felony assault is at least one year in prison, and many felony assault charges result in multiple years in prison, as well as serious fines and a long probation. For example, assault in the first degree involves intent to cause serious physical injury as well as actual serious physical injury, and could result in a B Felony Charge which has a maximum 25 years in prison!
I'm perplexed. All of these "law and order" types turn a blind eye to the felonious convictions of Cianci, yet still "preach on" about the rule of law.

Would you hire a man who has a felony for assault (and a total of two felony convictions) to take care of you, your kids, your bookkeeping, or in any way have direct contact with you or your employees? Of course not! Mayor? Two felonies? Under "The Inmate", PVD will replace Toronto as the international laughing stock. Great calling card to attract strip clubs and other shadt, decadent establishments to the city. To legitimate companies that offer legitimate, fair-paying jobs and revenue? Wrong smoke signal.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
To Assault. End of story. Drop it and move on please.
Gladly. I just thought you were denying it once again with that 'no one will ever know the truth' line. We know the truth. This isn't a man who picks a one on one fight; he had a gang of witnesses there to protect him.

But I will let it go and agree that he's unlikely to commit assault again. What do you think his next felony will be?

I'm just curious what's the cut-off for you where you say "Gee, I think that's one too many felonies and I don't think that tiger's going to change his stripes, or that I want my tax dollars supporting him"? I admit, it was more than one for me. I guess I've decided it's two. And shame on me, because I already knew about the envelopes stuffed with cash in order to remain on the tow list and I didn't even count that one. I'm not proud of that.

But I guess it's easier for you since your money won't be supporting him and you can just laugh from afar.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Sandy, is it me, or is it something else, that finds -- even in legal terms -- felony assault as a clearly disqualifying appellation for a mayor?
I know, right? Hard to believe it's not. In his first term Cianci fought the city council on that. He didn't think anyone who was convicted of a crime should be able to serve.

Until he was convicted.

From Wikipedia:" Providence municipal regulations prohibit a convicted felon from holding public office; ironically, Cianci himself promulgated the rule a few years earlier, with an eye to removing political opponents from the City Council.
After Cianci's resignation, there was a special election. Cianci attempted to run in the election under the rubic that he had been convicted of a felony but received a five year suspended sentence rather than being sent to prison. After a few weeks it was decided by the Rhode Island Supreme Court that Cianci could not run in the special election because the legislative intent was that the convicted incumbent could not succeed himself in office. "

I really don't understand how the Supreme Court came up with that interpretation, when the intent was actually to prohibit entirely. But then, our courts were as corrupt as our city government.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I think Buddy will win. When the people show up they won't be able to
resist the lure ... when they see that name on the ballot... it's over.
Be Ready.
You may be right, snowball.

But they'll hate themselves in the morning for not respecting themselves more.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I know, right? Hard to believe it's not. In his first term Cianci fought the city council on that. He didn't think anyone who was convicted of a crime should be able to serve.

Until he was convicted.
Yes, well, it's clear he was a fraud from the start and had no interests other than enriching himself. Which, of course, meant staying in office so he could shakedown people and companies doing business with the city.

Why on earth would a progressive, fabulous city like Providence and its voters want to return to those, well, "gutter days" of the distant past? No one I know.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:44 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Why on earth would a progressive, fabulous city like Providence and its voters want to return to those, well, "gutter days" of the distant past? No one I know.
Alfie c'mon you don't know anything about Providence's past. You've been here for a couple years.
At least have some respect for the posters on this thread who know what they are talking about
concerning Providence's past. We don't go into the Manhattan thread and act like we know what
we're talking about concerning Manhattan's past.. now do we ? no. thanks.

Meanwhile, the man you berate so vehemently is in court today for a cause which means
a lot to you.
Providence defends former mayor in parade lawsuit - SFGate

Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM

So far as I know, none of the pro-Cianci posters on this thread live, nor ever have lived in PVD. And why would I post on the Manhattan forum? I don't live there -- this is my home now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island