Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 06:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 14,932,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Holly, it sounds like you'd prefer that they not know. Just let them come here, sign a one year lease, and let them find out the hard way?
You well know that's not what I implied after I wrote for the ninth time that anyone with any brains at all will check crime stats (which are readily available).

What I said is that your obsession and obvious delight in the details of these crimes is nothing short of a Jerry Springer show and I hereby repeat that observation. No other state thread in the entire forum allows this to go on and on.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,717,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I really don't know what you mean. Are you saying that owners of the beautiful old houses in the Paterson Park neighborhood are creepy characters? Have you been to Paterson Park after dark in some sort of "hot pursuit" and are now bearing witness? Or some other meaning?
Whatever your opaque meaning, this thread has officially jumped the shark.
You have it. What's actually "creepy" isn't the beautiful Paterson Park neighborhood, but this thread.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You well know that's not what I implied after I wrote for the ninth time that anyone with any brains at all will check crime stats (which are readily available).

What I said is that your obsession and obvious delight in the details of these crimes is nothing short of a Jerry Springer show and I hereby repeat that observation. No other state thread in the entire forum allows this to go on and on.
Jerry Springer indeed. If anything this type of low rent sensationalist thread gives outsiders the impression Rhode Island has more than its share low brow/computer-in-mom's basement types. We don't.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:20 AM

23,689 posts, read 18,799,853 times
People are starting to rise up, apparently.

‘When is enough, enough?’: Mom of Providence murder victim pleads for peace

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...-gun-violence/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) ─ In an emotional plea to the community, the mother of a man who was shot and killed in Providence Thursday night says she wants the ongoing violence in the capital city to stop.
Kimmie Mann spoke to a crowd of supporters Friday evening about her son, Dante Mann, who was shot while making a music video honoring his late cousin."

“It’s sad to see that there are so many lives being taken,” Kimmie said. “I’m frustrated. I’m livid.”

"She put the blame squarely on city leaders, who she said are not providing enough outlets for the youth.
“What are all of these young kids doing this for?” she said. “Nobody has an answer. There’s not enough resources for these young kids…I don’t see anyone willing to step up and help any of these youths.”
She also claims that no one from the Providence Police Department has contacted her since her son’s murder and she actually found out from her niece.
“Not one person of the Providence Police force has called me since my son was murdered,” Kimmie said.
Earlier Friday, police said they have been in contact with Dante’s family."

To someone like this woman living in the heart of gangland, it's not about property values. It's about living in constant fear, and way too many young lives being lost.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
People are starting to rise up, apparently.

‘When is enough, enough?’: Mom of Providence murder victim pleads for peace

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...-gun-violence/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) ─ In an emotional plea to the community, the mother of a man who was shot and killed in Providence Thursday night says she wants the ongoing violence in the capital city to stop.
Kimmie Mann spoke to a crowd of supporters Friday evening about her son, Dante Mann, who was shot while making a music video honoring his late cousin."

“It’s sad to see that there are so many lives being taken,” Kimmie said. “I’m frustrated. I’m livid.”

"She put the blame squarely on city leaders, who she said are not providing enough outlets for the youth.
“What are all of these young kids doing this for?” she said. “Nobody has an answer. There’s not enough resources for these young kids…I don’t see anyone willing to step up and help any of these youths.”
She also claims that no one from the Providence Police Department has contacted her since her son’s murder and she actually found out from her niece.
“Not one person of the Providence Police force has called me since my son was murdered,” Kimmie said.
Earlier Friday, police said they have been in contact with Dante’s family."

To someone like this woman living in the heart of gangland, it's not about property values. It's about living in constant fear, and way too many young lives being lost.
A philosophical discussion about this could be had since it relates to a series of topics, however, most are way outside the realm of this forum- like guns on the streets. "Living in fear" is part of any high crime neighborhood in the world and none of us are unsympathetic.

In RI's case- I don't particularly care for Elorza but to say he hasn't done anything for his part of town is simply uninformed. The parks dept, for one, has concentrated largely on parks in low income areas- so to say "there are no outlets" for these kids is simplistic. And to think that the PPD are going to call you is naive.

Bottom line is, reveling in the details of every single crime is not being "kindly informative" to the public and the posters who do this know it.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,685,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Jerry Springer indeed. If anything this type of low rent sensationalist thread gives outsiders the impression Rhode Island has more than its share low brow/computer-in-mom's basement types. We don't.
When was the last time any of you warned potential relocators of the myriad problems faced by Rhode Island going forward? Either economically or demographically? Instead posters gush about their home values rising "exponentially", Californians "flooding in", the "star" quality of your inept Governor, the infrastructure "renaissance", President Trump and the Russians responsible for the state's demographic and economic stagnation. This sort of twisted and myopic boosterism skews the reality of Rhode Island far more than this thread.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
When was the last time any of you warned potential relocators of the myriad problems faced by Rhode Island going forward? Either economically or demographically? Instead posters gush about their home values rising "exponentially", Californians "flooding in", the "star" quality of your inept Governor, the infrastructure "renaissance", President Trump and the Russians responsible for the state's demographic and economic stagnation. This sort of twisted and myopic boosterism skews the reality of Rhode Island far more than this thread.
And according to you, none of the above is real- ONLY the negative threads.

Seems to me the negativity dominates- go back and read ALL your threads.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:54 AM

23,689 posts, read 18,799,853 times
Quote:
A philosophical discussion about this could be had since it relates to a series of topics, however, most are way outside the realm of this forum- like guns on the streets. I don't particularly care for Elorza but to say he hasn't done anything for his part of town is simply uninformed. The parks dept, for one, has concentrated largely on parks in low income areas- so to say "there are no outlets" for these kids is simplistic. And to think that the PPD are going to call you is naive.

Bottom line is, reveling in the details of every crime is not being "kindly informative" to the public and the posters who do this know it.

Several things.

1. The proliferation of guns on the streets (in particular due the theft this past summer of a huge stash of firearms), has been brought up in this thread. Several times.

2. Elorza's immediate neighborhood has seen several murders as of late. Silver Lake is a bigger dump than ever. If he can't get things together in his own backyard, well .

3. I don't agree with all the mother said. Many of these problems can only be solved by the community itself.

4. But "naïve" me would certainly expect that during a homicide investigation, the PPD would be in close contact with the nearest kin (this is his mother we are talking about here). As reported, her claim contradicts what the police are saying.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:55 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,685,350 times
Quote:
And according to you, none of the above is real- ONLY the negative threads.

Seems to me the negativity dominates- go back and read ALL your threads.
The proof is in the pudding. Rhode Island is a laggard state by virtually every meaningful measure. And the sick part is that an apathetic and uninformed electorate continues to blame the evil politicians. Except of course, "Gina".

Old 10-25-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
We all bring our slice of prospective by what we know. It seems your position, for whatever reason, is to provide a counter point, lest anyone should suggest RI might actually be a decent place to live. Rhode Island's numerable positives & shortcomings, are scarcely hidden here.

Some newcomers may take a pass on Rhode Island after reading these cut/paste "crime reports". That will be their decision. Others, perhaps a bit sharper, will see the creepy thread for what it is: No more than a two person self-important crime obsession. Whatever floats your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.