Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 2,716,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Sunday 2:44 AM -- Shots Heard (Border of Elmwood and West End)

Providence police were at the intersection of Dexter Street and Bellevue Avenue on a car accident scene. While on scene police heard approximately 2-3 gun shots resonating from the area of Potters Avenue and Elmwood Avenue.

Sunday 2:52 AM - Reports of Shots Fired (ARMORY DISTRICT)

Police were dispatched to the area of Hollywood Avenue and Dexter Street for a report of shots fired. Dispatch advised that a caller reported seeing a group of people arguing and then hearing 4-5 shots.
Upon arrival police made contact with the witness who wished to remain anonymous. This witness stated to police that he was inside his home when he heard a loud argument on the street at the intersection of Westminster Street and Dexter Street. As he was looking outside he saw 4-5 subjects standing by a vehicle, and simultaneously, he heard gunshots and a female screaming. He then observed the subjects all enter the car and fleeing. "
I'm not sure this really makes any sense. If the police were at the intersection of Dexter and Bellevue, they're positioned down the street from where shots were observed to be fired at Dexter and Hollywood, at roughly the same time. That's about the same distance away as Elmwood and Potters. But the path for the sound to travel from Potters/Elmwood to Dexter/Bellevue is obstructed with buildings. Police heard shots at roughly the same time that observers called them in to the police (a few minutes difference). I'm going to guess there's one shooting event, located at Dexter and Hollywood, and the police got the direction of the sound's origin wrong, maybe due to an echo.

Last edited by ormari; 10-18-2020 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 AM

17,829 posts, read 9,263,093 times
Default Federal Hill shooting

On Sunday night at about 11:00pm, a women (who was in her house and feeding her baby) was hit with a stray bullet that went through the wall of her house.

This happened on Ridge Street in the Federal Hill neighborhood.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/RkRRpV7dBBNNe1EQ6

It is only a few hundred feet from where a person was stabbed to death on Swiss Street less than a month ago on September 24. Swiss Street runs in to Ridge Street; they are essentially the same street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkzcPZoZYk

Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 AM

23,682 posts, read 18,799,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I'm not sure this really makes any sense. If the police were at the intersection of Dexter and Bellevue, they're positioned down the street from where shots were observed to be fired at Dexter and Hollywood, at roughly the same time. That's about the same distance away as Elmwood and Potters. But the path for the sound to travel from Potters/Elmwood to Dexter/Bellevue is obstructed with buildings. Police heard shots at roughly the same time that observers called them in to the police (a few minutes difference). I'm going to guess there's one shooting event, located at Dexter and Hollywood, and the police got the direction of the sound's origin wrong, maybe due to an echo.
You are probably right.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
On Sunday night at about 11:00pm, a women (who was in her house and feeding her baby) was hit with a stray bullet that went through the wall of her house.

This happened on Ridge Street in the Federal Hill neighborhood.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/RkRRpV7dBBNNe1EQ6

It is only a few hundred feet from where a person was stabbed to death on Swiss Street less than a month ago on September 24. Swiss Street runs in to Ridge Street; they are essentially the same street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkzcPZoZYk
There was also a felony assault (typically a shooting, stabbing or other deadly weapon used) at 104 Ridge St. (essentially right across the street), back in June.

Old 10-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Default Shooting on Route 10 in Providence

Police investigating shooting on Rt. 10 in Providence

"Officers were called to the scene on Route 10 near Union Avenue just before 11 p.m."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrvqUss9VE

Old 10-21-2020, 03:18 PM

9,316 posts, read 14,932,402 times
There is a slight uptick in crime across the country during the pandemic. Trump is also ginning it up and encouraging it at his rallies.

What's weird to me is this constant highlighting of crime in Providence on this forum- generally in the typical neighborhoods like South Providence where it has always been higher. No surprise there.

Who, exactly, are you two serving??? What are you hoping to gain here??? It seems like a really sick obsession to me and it's just the two of you- and occasionally the troll- interested.

If you live in these bad neighborhoods- for Pete's sake- move out! What are you waiting for?

Old 10-21-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There is a slight uptick in crime across the country during the pandemic. Trump is also ginning it up and encouraging it at his rallies.

What's weird to me is this constant highlighting of crime in Providence on this forum- generally in the typical neighborhoods like South Providence where it has always been higher. No surprise there.

Who, exactly, are you two serving??? What are you hoping to gain here??? It seems like a really sick obsession to me and it's just the two of you- and occasionally the troll- interested.

If you live in these bad neighborhoods- for Pete's sake- move out! What are you waiting for?

I'm sorry you feel that way, Holly. IMO, this thread serves as a tremendously valuable resource for people who are considering moving to RI - especially Providence.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,685,350 times
Quote:

38 pages and counting lady. The last four threads that you started, generated a grand total of 15 replies. Three of them your own. And one of those, simply to berate others for not replying.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:

Welcome aboard Holly. As some of you may know, I have been comprising a crime map focusing on where the serious violent crime is occurring in the city (primarily felony assaults ie. shootings/stabbings and shots fired). While as you can see violent crime is spread out all over the city, in Providence like most cities (and you are correct to note) it's quite localized. Here is what it looks like from February through yesterday. The markers are layered by month. Note that October is in gray, and the month still has 11 days to go. I have labeled areas of danger to note, which might come in especially handy for those seeking to relocate to Providence. Many of these neighborhoods routinely come up in questions.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-21-2020 at 07:39 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 10:42 PM

Nice touch with the graphics on the map.

The map pretty much shows what some of us have been saying all along.

• No problems east of Hope Street.
  • No problems in the part of Mt Pleasant near RIC. The other part of Mt Pleasant has become awful.
  • Very few problems (but more than expected) in Elmhurst. The edges of Elmhurst (other than the Mt. Pleasant side) are horrible.
  • The Broadway part of Federal Hill isn't crime-free but it's fine.
  • The North End (Wanskuck/Charles) is terrible.
  • Everything south of (and including) Westminster Street is garbage.
  • Everything west of Route 10 is trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.