Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 AM

20 posts, read 44,562 times

Advertisements

Rosco917.. thank you.. i haven't been on the site but appreciate all your info.. - good stuff!!.. doesnt' sound much better than LI..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
People in Rhode Island are very narrow-minded. At least that was my experience for the four years I attended college. They seem clannish, clingy and crazy. Im refering to the natives and the immigrants. I would never live there. I'm from San Diego

Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM

9,293 posts, read 14,908,083 times
quote: Rosco917.. thank you.. i haven't been on the site but appreciate all your info.. - good stuff!!.. doesnt' sound much better than LI..

Thanks Rosco for keeping yet another New Yorker from moving here. We have far too many already. And besides, we are all clannish, clingy, and crrrrraaaaazzzzy.

Pardon me, is that the full moon? aaaaawhhhhhooooooooooo

Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
People in Rhode Island are very narrow-minded. At least that was my experience for the four years I attended college. They seem clannish, clingy and crazy. Im refering to the natives and the immigrants. I would never live there. I'm from San Diego

Clannish, yes. Clingy? hmmm. Crazy? They're not all locked up you know. RI'ers are under a LOT of stress !

Read the headlines of this morning's Providence Journal. www.projo.com

City of Providence could be another casualty on the bankruptcy scene in RI; and yet the Governor wants to raise taxes considerably in RI, and give raises to his cronies who already make (I didn't say "earn") between approx. $96,000 and $160,000 per year.

And, the beat goes on in Little Rhody.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,384 times
Default would not do it.

try detroit, they will come back much faster , this state takes, takes ect,from wage earners and give to non-wage earners. for crying out loud, read the projo, you wll get some of the truth from there. better yet, read the comment that follow the big stories,there you will find the truth. stay away,leperville.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
Blakout, you hit the nail on the head, bro. I was born and raised in Rhode Island and I lived there for 18 years. You are more than correct: native Rhode Islanders are clannish and clingy. Many native Rhode Islanders, regardless of their socioeconomic status, are not very welcoming of newcomers. It seems to take Rhode Islanders a very long time to warm up to strangers and newcomers. In fact, there's a joke that goes something like this: "You know you're from Rhode Island when you're approached by a stranger in public and you assume that they either want something or they're from out-of-town." LOL. That being said, if you relocate to Rhode Island from another part of the country; don't expect your new neighbors to ring on your doorbell with a freshly-baked pie, inviting you over to their home for a cookout or to play cards. Don't even expect your new neighbors to ring your doorbell in the first place! LOL. By the time your new neighbors or co-workers or classmates warm up to you, you don't even want to be their friends anymore. By that point, you've given up trying to be a part of their group. I always believed that Rhode Islanders are so clannish because many Rhode Islanders who are born and raised in Rhode Island never leave the state. Thus, you have enormous extended families all living within a few miles of each other and many of these large extended families are very clannish.

My dad and my brother, both stereotypical Italian-American Rhode Islanders, go so far as considering people were born and raised outside of Rhode Island to be 'weird' and 'very different.' Thank goodness I'm nothing like my father nor my brother nor most Rhode Islanders, for that matter. For being one of the 'bluest,' most Democratic states in the entire country; Rhode Islanders are not very progressive at all. (Am I the only person that finds this strange?) Also, Rhode Island has a remarkably low high school graduation rate for a state located in the New England region. Therefore, you have quite a few residents that hold these silly, backwards, narrow-minded stereotypes.

I'm with you, dude: I'd never live there again either.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Hey there WhatUpFla: I think you're just the one to make a list comparing Floridians to Rhode Island-duhs. Since there are so many of the latter iin south Flori-duh, you've seen the best and worst of both worlds.
This would be so interesting, c'mon have some fun.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hey there WhatUpFla: I think you're just the one to make a list comparing Floridians to Rhode Island-duhs. Since there are so many of the latter iin south Flori-duh, you've seen the best and worst of both worlds.
This would be so interesting, c'mon have some fun.
South Florida's population is far too diverse and the nature of that population is far too transient for anyone to be able to stereotype or characterize the entire population. Since Rhode Island residents are far less transient and more, shall we say, "home-grown," and the culture of Rhode Island is far more fermented than the culture of South Florida; it's much easier to stereotype and characterize Rhode Islanders than South Floridians.

As an aside, I'm not really sure of what you're asking...

Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
South Florida's population is far too diverse and the nature of that population is far too transient for anyone to be able to stereotype or characterize the entire population. Since Rhode Island residents are far less transient and more, shall we say, "home-grown," and the culture of Rhode Island is far more fermented than the culture of South Florida; it's much easier to stereotype and characterize Rhode Islanders than South Floridians.

As an aside, I'm not really sure of what you're asking...

Seriously, there are boatloads of RI'ers in south FL whether they be permanent residents that escaped RI as you did, or they are snowbirds. I don't see them any different than the Floridians who escape to cooler areas in the summers.

You've experienced both RI'ers and Floridians. How do they compare to each other? Blakout did a comparison after only 4 yrs. in college in RI, and would never leave San Diego after his/her experience.

We're not stereotyping, we're discussing.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 15,427 times
Quote:
You've experienced both RI'ers and Floridians. How do they compare to each other? Blakout did a comparison after only 4 yrs. in college in RI, and would never leave San Diego after his/her experience.
It's been awhile since I stopped in here, but I can speak to this. Been in RI since last June. I live in Seekonk MA, right across the border. I work in RI, and spend most of my time there. The "new car smell" has worn off, so here are some of my impressions as of now.

I MUCH prefer New England to Florida.

- safer. Yeah, there's crime anywhere you go, but much less here. In Florida, too many people own guns and seem willing to use them to settle differences over parking spaces at Wal Mart. South Florida to here - no comparison.
- On average, people are better educated.
- yeah, it's very insulated and "clannish". It's an old place. I've found people to be more welcoming, but then again, I've made an effort to adapt.
- I work in manufacturing, and I found work with compensation and benefits that just wasn't possible in FL.
- Better work ethic. Things like houses are built better here.
- Worse driving than FL, much less predictable. Safer though, because the speeds are lower.

Gotta run now. I'll check back later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island