Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times

Advertisements

A lesson for the day:

LIFE IS IN THE DETAILS, FOLKS, AND MOST OF THE DETAILS GO RIGHT OVER EVERYBODY'S HEADS.

People in the know tend to have a similar description for the weather in RI and Colorado:
"Can be a cold, snowy winter. But generally mild. Lots of sunny days."

The truth is that these places have a very, very different climate, and Colorado (on the plains anyway), is a hell of a lot warmer and more accommodating to pleasurable human life.

Well today is at most the sixth or so day in 2009 that the high temp for the day in RI has crept above about 50 degrees.

On the Colorado Front Range, where I used to live, today is probably about the 40th day the high temp has gone above 50 degrees, and usually gets there by 11:00 am too, as opposed to about 2:30 pm in RI.

Well folks, if you like exercising and the outdoors, that's a TON of extra time and days to enjoy some nice weather if you are privileged enough to live in Colorado versus Rhode Island.

Let's say you happen to get a day off work or it's your day off. You wanna go romp around outside. Well in CO, you have about a 60% chance the weather will accommodate your desires. In RI it's about an 18% chance.
THAT IS A HUMONGOUS LIFESTYLE TRADE-OFF TO MAKE TO LIVE IN NEW ENGLAND.

Don't get me wrong, folks, I tough it out here in little Rhody. I exercise even when it's cold (and wear extra layers of sporty clothing). I enjoy every nice, warm day in RI, even if I have to wait 83 days to experience one.

JUST DO NOT EVER TRY TO CLAIM THAT RI IS MILD.

RI is more or less right off Hudson Bay and the southern tip of Greenland.

Even when it's warm it's cold, mainly due to freezing bone-chilling winds that come right down from the North Pole and tear up Rhody all day long three out of four seasons of the year.

I LIKE RI. I DO. BUT RI IS COLD. DAMN COLD. NOT REALLY MUCH FUN OUTSIDE KINDA COLD.

Okay I need to find a web smiley of an icicle right now or something.

The truth is out there.... Along with a little whining.

P.S. Don't try to tell me that this winter was unusual. It was a little unusually cold and snowy, but not by much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
hang in there Pod. it's supposed to be close to 70 on Friday.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
The true irony of this is, though, is that it is not at all unusual to see, the national weather forecast for the weatherman to say, something like this...."and Denver can expect to be getting another foot of snow by morning",....or, "those living in the Rockies can expect up to two feet of snow by this time tomorrow"... Quite often, the weatherman will be a little dramatic too, often showing commuters driving in a blizzard hell. You see this in early spring time too...

So, it could be we're just a little hardier here. This weather in April is superb, as long as it doesn't rain too much, I have no complaints.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:34 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Colorado had a snow storm at the beginning of this month! We haven't had one since the beginning of March. And sorry, but this winter WAS highly unusual. Just because you say it wasn't, doesn't make it so. We shattered all sorts of records for temperatures and snowfall.

Buy a treadmill, or move.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM

So how is the weather in Denver today?

Oh look at that, a snow storm in mid April! haha

Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Blizzard hits Denver 4/17/09!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
It's going be 80 here in NC today.....absolutely gorgeous outside, however, come July, when it's in the 90s day after day with 90% humidity, I'll be longing for the RI summers!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,505 times
I may slam the Arctic winds constantly blowing around RI, but thanks to them, we have SUPERB air quality here!

Here's how I would apply an academic grade for AIR QUALITY to the places in the US I've lived:

RI = A

Colorado Front Range = C+

Los Angeles, CA = C

Last edited by POhdNcrzy; 04-18-2009 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Relentless perfectionism....lol

Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 AM

The only arctic winds I see are the ones blowing around the two feet (!) of snow out in Colorado.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
People in the know tend to have a similar description for the weather in RI and Colorado:
"Can be a cold, snowy winter. But generally mild. Lots of sunny days."
Ouch. Who told you that RI has lots of sunny days? If anything, I always thought that the defining feature of a RI winter was the 3 months of grey cloud cover + drizzle.

I've lived in upstate NY, which is technically a lot colder. However, I always felt that RI was somehow more harsh and inhospitable. There's just something about the grey skies + constant precipitation + wind that's really damn brutal and soul crushing. It also doesn't help that New England is so far East within the time zone, so the sun sets even earlier than, for example, an Ohio winter.

I've certainly spent my worst winters in Providence (despite the fact that they weren't nearly my coldest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island