Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,216,999 times

Advertisements

Many people/posters talk about shooting others in self defense.

How many actually have ?

I and 99,999999% have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,304,664 times
This option is not entirely off the menu, but it is a specialty item. It is reserved only for the stupid or high who do not understand the numerous warnings given beforehand to leave.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
County sheriff's deputies were never too far away. But in decades of rural living, I never had the need to call the police even once.

Home invasions were virtually nonexistent in the area where I grew up, even though people rarely locked their doors. I suppose the reasons why included the fact that most farms come complete with dogs and shotguns. There have to be easier places to rob.
Agreed. When someone is out where the population densities are under 25 people/sq. mi. folks tend to know vehicles, which ones belong, and eye those that do not and where they saw them and when. Simply stated, it is not only easier but more anonymous for criminals to break into city houses....unless one is very far,far removed and no one ever travels down the roads.

Predators seek easy targets.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

How many actually have ?

Whether one has or one has not is not the matter when discussing the possibility of being placed in a position to have to make that decision as whether to use lethal force in self-defense or not. However, the mindset is necessary and the introspection before hand important. Thus, even though one may never have to defend his/her life with lethal force, if that day comes, he/she will be more prepared not just for the encounter but to deal with the aftermath as well, having contemplated that meaning and those consequences of the use of lethal beforehand.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,657,335 times
Interesting.

Yes, let's hope none of us will have to face that.

Guess dogs are a requirement for a rural life? I am too lazy to be responsible for a dog or two.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,286,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

How many actually have ?

Good for you, I hope to stay in the 99.999999% group too, I fear the day that I may be forced to leave that group. I know people who are outside of the 99.999999% group and the effects mentally and legally are quite devastating, but at least they're still talking about it and can improve their situation.

So what is the alternative than being prepared to use deadly force for defense if the situation warrants it (regardless of your location and proximity to the police)? Capitulating and relying on the mercy of your attacker? Yep we've seen how that one works out many times on most media outlets. Personally it seems to me that most people who do this wind up in caskets, and their attackers get away, they may be later found and put in trial, or not.

Calling the police might be good enough, but it depends on many factors, ultimately it comes down to the actual response time from call (not the average, but that specific response time). If your attacker has enough time to do whatever he's going to do before the police respond, then you might as well not bother, unless it's to find evidence to catch and prosecute your assailants.

Having a gun, knowing how to use it, and being prepared to use it, is no different to owning a door lock, knowing how to use it, and locking your door. It's just another security mechanism.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM

37,500 posts, read 61,523,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed. When someone is out where the population densities are under 25 people/sq. mi. folks tend to know vehicles, which ones belong, and eye those that do not and where they saw them and when. Simply stated, it is not only easier but more anonymous for criminals to break into city houses....unless one is very far,far removed and no one ever travels down the roads.

Predators seek easy targets.
25 people / square mile?

Last I looked we are between 9 and 10

I agree though, to my understanding the more densely populated an area is the more crime you have.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,549 times
We had a problem with some out of state hunters a few years ago. They beat up my uncle pretty good and nearly killed him; 5 to 1 odds usually ends that way.

The police were called, but being friends, they took us aside and honest to goodness said this. "Do you want to handle this, or do you want us to. You would be better of handling it".

In the end it took the school bus driver to remember the truck description, the guys at the local store to tell us where their hunting cabin was, and even then the Swat Team had to be called in to make the arrest because they were "armed".

In the end the state dropped all charges against them, but it doesn't mean they are a problem. Around here we seldom use lethal violence to handle situations, we use fire. Their hunting cabin burned twice, and their pick ups caught fire as well. Funny how that happened.

Using a wee bit of scorched earth has helped us maintain a decent relationship with many, many people as it is the ultimate in payback and fear. No matter if you are rich or poor, you end up with the same when you are burned out. Its been going on for centuries here and why we use the term "fired" for employment terms.

Play by the rules though, and you'll be fine. No wonder we have the lowest crime rate in the country. :-)

Old 09-18-2010, 09:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,926 times
Sheriff Department is all kinds of fun around here.

For the most part they never come back here.But one time there was a State Wide Man Hunt going on for a Guy,they came back here wanting to know if I would take them to a Guys Camp?I told them I would but he was not the Guy they were looking for.Later after I took them there I came back to my place they come back couldn't hardly walk said I was right.

Then one time I took a Deputy back couple miles in an old Ford Pickup that didn't have Brakes to where he could serve Papers.He was all excited on that ride but he paid me well.

Oh I was told when I first moved here to never call the Law people handle their own stuff here,seen how they do it and its not nice.

brushrunner

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,120,417 times
Marmac, In reply to you post, a warning shot over the head usually does it, then the word gets around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living