Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
We certainly don't want you in west Texas. You wouldn't last six months on the High Plains anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The same is true in Wyoming. People don't treat liberals as wise saviors so the liberals move. Good riddance.
If 'Liberal' no longer represents tolerant, what the hell does 'Conservative' represent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
We certainly don't want you in west Texas. You wouldn't last six months on the High Plains anyway.
And from the sounds of that, I certainly won't want to be in West Texas.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If 'Liberal' no longer represents tolerant, what the hell does 'Conservative' represent?
Followed me down from my snakepit comment in the Albuquerque thread, eh?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And from the sounds of that, I certainly won't want to be in West Texas.
Good. We are in agreement. Spread that word among your friends.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Unfortunately, "conservative" now means people who are full of anger, ignorance and hate.

We should think of a good word for us calm, accepting, financially cautious middle-of-the-roaders. How about: The Majority!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:43 PM

I've offered an honest answer to an honest question. It would be dishonest and hypocritical to do otherwise.

Most west Texans, including me, could care less what color your skin is, what religion or non-religion you are, who or what you sleep with, or even if you are a illegal or extraterrestrial alien. We have as much room as any place in America to share. I have extended an open and welcoming hand to many persons on CD who sought to move to west Texas. The difference here is that the ones I have invited did not predicate their move on a political ideology. If you want an area of the country that will provide you a soapbox and a megaphone to preach your political intolerance, go somewhere else.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Can we all agree that what the Majority of people long for is a place where we can live without having other people's political, religious, and whatever else views crammed down our throats? A place where we can believe and say what we want in our own homes and where other people's beliefs don't affect our personal lives?

I think even the most extreme Liberals and Conservatives would agree with the above.

But to bring this back to rural and small town life - the reality is, most people looking for "liberal" small towns are looking for a place where they can buy tofu in the grocery store, a place wit a great public library, a place where they can put an "I Love Obama" sign in their yard and it won't be torn down, and a place where long proven scientific facts are taught in the schools.

Many rural areas in both red and blue regions satisfy those wants.

Yes, of course, it's perfectly fine to say clearly that place X wouldn't make someone looking for the above very happy.

I lived in West Texas and loved it - the Alpine/Marfa area. If the OP is looking at Texas, that would be a great place to live.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM

I think we can agree although my experience says that, if such a place in America exists, it is a better kept secret than the Roswell aliens. It may be as real as well.

I am a returned native Texan born of great great grandparents who were natives. However, I am not one to shy from pointing out the State's many faults. Americans tend to be very nosy as a people and Texans appear to have gotten a double dose of that gene.

I have always enjoyed helping young people especially if they show a slight interest in helping themselves. I will continue to hesitantly recommend the High Plains as a place to raise a family although it can sometimes be a very harsh and hard environment. I know some young Americans are still up to the challenge.

I think I have incurred the anger of many on C-D, liberal and conservative, by my harsh posts today. For that I sincerely apologize. Today has been one of the most difficult days of my life.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Can we all agree that what the Majority of people long for is a place where we can live without having other people's political, religious, and whatever else views crammed down our throats? A place where we can believe and say what we want in our own homes and where other people's beliefs don't affect our personal lives?
No. Liberals certainly wouldn't agree not to shove their beliefs down my throat. I live where I do because I can live among members of my race only. I can live among people who believe that a man's partner is a woman. I can exercise my right to real free speech, not speech circumscribed by the decisions of liberal sages. I can say Merry Christmas without fear. I can carry a concealed weapon without any sort of government permission. Liberals have been trrying to stop all of the aforesaid for years because they hate my culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
But to bring this back to rural and small town life - the reality is, most people looking for "liberal" small towns are looking for a place where they can buy tofu in the grocery store, a place wit a great public library, a place where they can put an "I Love Obama" sign in their yard and it won't be torn down, and a place where long proven scientific facts are taught in the schools.
But you won't allow my books in your library if you think they might offend current liberal thinking. Will you complain if the sign in my yard says, "I love Adolf Hitler?" A local deputy sheriff here used to fly the Confederate flag in front of his home overlooking the highway to Yellowstone, his absolute right. But liberals harassed the sheriff to the point that the deputy voluntarily removed it.

Should the government schools teach that global warming, now discredited, is a scientific fact? Should they teach sex education classes that constitute little more than attacks on traditional values? Should government schools even be allowed to exist? This country did very well before there were any.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No. Liberals certainly wouldn't agree not to shove their beliefs down my throat. I live where I do because I can live among members of my race only. I can live among people who believe that a man's partner is a woman. I can exercise my right to real free speech, not speech circumscribed by the decisions of liberal sages. I can say Merry Christmas without fear. I can carry a concealed weapon without any sort of government permission. Liberals have been trrying to stop all of the aforesaid for years because they hate my culture.

But you won't allow my books in your library if you think they might offend current liberal thinking. Will you complain if the sign in my yard says, "I love Adolf Hitler?" A local deputy sheriff here used to fly the Confederate flag in front of his home overlooking the highway to Yellowstone, his absolute right. But liberals harassed the sheriff to the point that the deputy voluntarily removed it.

Should the government schools teach that global warming, now discredited, is a scientific fact? Should they teach sex education classes that constitute little more than attacks on traditional values? Should government schools even be allowed to exist? This country did very well before there were any.
I guess that I'm sticking to Cheyenne, Laramie or Casper if I ever go to Wyoming.

Anyway, even "liberal" small towns near me have a mix of political thought. So, it isn't as cut and dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living