Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We used to live in the woods and had deer all around us. They did not bother my plants, we and our dogs did not ever get deer ticks. It was probably because we were surrounded by enough unspoiled woods that they had all they needed without encroaching on us humans.
The 'unspoiled woods' does not supply the nourishment that your backyard supplies! Mature forest simply does not have the underbrush and new growth. You plant most of what deer love - nice lawn, garden, and shrubs.

As far as bothering or not bothering; sometimes it only takes time. Deer love to nip everything and what they missed last year; they might find this year.

Then when it comes to the ticks; people can easily overlook the female deer nymph that causes the Lyme disease. It is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Mice and squirrels are the big culprits for deer ticks (but we already named them 'deer ticks')!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
One of these days I will invent a 'topiary' shell. Put it on the plant...let the deer dine...voila!

Free "architectural landscaping" services.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,642,081 times
No, I don't. They damage many of our plants, even "resistant" ones. They carry ticks, I've had to get injections for Lyme disease twice since I've been living here. Also, though not real common here yet, I really dislike this wasting disease of deer; prion diseases scare me and I'd just as soon the host be somewhere other than my yard.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:35 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,838,232 times
Default Do you like deer coming close to your house?

I do not like humans coming close to my house.

All other creatures are welcome.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:05 PM

4,144 posts, read 3,061,898 times
I don't mind when they come close to the house. They don't seem to eat the day lilies. However, I don't want them to lose their fear of me, as they are large and potentially dangerous animals. I allow a few people to deer hunt on my land. It's the only hunting I allow. There are too many deer in this area, and they cause a lot of vehicular accidents.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Isn’t it illegal to feed deer?

Please do your research. Corn is actually very bad for them!!!

If you’re not fattening them up for slaughter, you’re not doing them any favors by feeding them, especially the corn. It messes up their digestion.
This isn't true. In my part of the country corn makes up the largest part of their diet for several months a year.

The problem is when they're not used to having corn in their diet and suddenly start consuming large amounts of it.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Isn’t it illegal to feed deer?

Please do your research. Corn is actually very bad for them!!!

If you’re not fattening them up for slaughter, you’re not doing them any favors by feeding them, especially the corn. It messes up their digestion.
Deer can even eat acorns as standard food. Corn doesn't hurt them one bit. And no, it's not illegal to feed them. In some States it's illegal to hunt over bait but not illegal to feed them.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
This isn't true. In my part of the country corn makes up the largest part of their diet for several months a year.

The problem is when they're not used to having corn in their diet and suddenly start consuming large amounts of it.
We have corn on our farm in CO and we can't keep these buggers out of the corn. It's like crack to them. These bucks get big as elk eating it too.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 AM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We have corn on our farm in CO and we can't keep these buggers out of the corn. It's like crack to them. These bucks get big as elk eating it too.
Yeah. A lot of the farmers here who've traditionally grown corn (well, since they took the tobacco buyout) switched to sorghum this year because deer won't really mess with that and their corn was getting destroyed.

As a note, geese won't come into sorghum. I'm trying to convince the farmer who hosts my goose blind to plant soybeans next year.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
I can believe that. I have had many close calls on my motorcycle with deer suddenly springing out of the corn fields on my way home from work. You can't see them until they are almost on you. I learned to drive past the fields very, very cautiously until after the corn was harvested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living