Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

One thing that really irks me is why some people have to turn on 8-10 outside lights out in the country in an area that has no crime to speak of. I think that many people could care less about their neighbors thoughts these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 02:06 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Rural pioneers from the city. They want the country without realizing what that means. And they want to bring the uptown stuff out to enlighten (no pun intended) everyone.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
These are generally (not always, but generally) in my opinion people who moved to the country from the very-lighted city and are afraid of the dark. Who also didn't do their due diligence before moving to the country.

You might want to send them some literature from the International Dark-Sky Association.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
I think North Beach Person and TexasHorseLady has the answer. I know several who moved out into the country where I always lived and were amazed that they would give me a call to come on over and I would walk through the woods without a flashlight or anything to their house and not give it a second thought. They always had their lawns lit up like a prison exercise yards. One couple told me that it was simply that they couldn't sleep in the pitch dark because they were so used to it being light all the time in the city. After a few years they cut back the lights one by one, until now they don't have a light on anywhere near their place except when they go out to do something. They other friends moved back to the city because it was "too quiet" can you believe that? Too quiet, I still chuckle at that one. Shoot the train goes by once a day, that should be enough noise with the horn blaring at the crossroad.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
If my neighbors' lights aren't casting light on my property. I couldn't care less if he has lights or doesn't.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:20 PM

However, your neighbor's lights may be causing light pollution, even if the light doesn't fall directly on your property.

Plus, light travels a long way. It can be blinding even if it's not falling on the ground right in front of you, and it can prevent you from seeing the stars at night just by casting its own light upwards, if there's enough of them.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:41 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One thing that really irks me is why some people have to turn on 8-10 outside lights out in the country in an area that has no crime to speak of. I think that many people could care less about their neighbors thoughts these days.
Fear of the dark. They probably came from a city and aren't used to not having light pollution. I'll frequently use a lantern to avoid stumbling in the woods at night, for safety (rough trails full of roots and rocks, dense brush, dense trees overhead blocking the moon's light), but it's off when I no longer need it, and I like it when it gets dark in rural spots that aren't full of lights. In town here I put thick curtains up to keep the light out when I sleep. I can't stand it.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times
I have two neighbors like this...up from the city and lights a blazin' at night all night, I've talked with them about it but they claim "security"...grrrrr I used to be able to go out on full moon nights and walk around with my dogs now it's ruined.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Just send them to the International Dark Sky Association website I linked to earlier. There's information on there regarding studies that show that lighting things up like daylight just makes it easier for criminals because, duh, they can see (and who's watching for them in the middle of the night?) and advice on ways to have security lighting that doesn't cause light pollution, if you still feel you must have it.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:25 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times
Gosh, it seems like most " homesteaders" move out to rural areas cuz they don't want people telling them what they can or can't do on their land.

However, they sure seem to want to tell their neighbors what they can or can't do on their own property.

Seems like a double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living