Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM

42 posts, read 81,857 times

Advertisements

Like Lillp said, not all of Elk Grove are bad. To be honest, the majority of Elk Grove area are very nice. What you want to do is not find any place north elk grove, which is on the border with South Sacramento. As long as you stay in South East, South West of Elk Grove, you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
Having lived in Elk Grove my entire like. Born in old elk grove, and later moved to west Elk Grove (lakeside). It is not a dangerous city. However i wouldn't reccommend living in the north laguna area or south sac. I currently live in Washington, DC and find this area extrememely dangerous compared to Sacramento. Elk Grove seems to have a bad rep when I visit other communities like Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, etc. But I tend to find these opinions from people that don't spend time in Elk Grove. The worst part of Elk Grove is the rest of Sacramento's perception of it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyspades View Post
Having lived in Elk Grove my entire like. Born in old elk grove, and later moved to west Elk Grove (lakeside). It is not a dangerous city. However i wouldn't reccommend living in the north laguna area or south sac. I currently live in Washington, DC and find this area extrememely dangerous compared to Sacramento. Elk Grove seems to have a bad rep when I visit other communities like Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, etc. But I tend to find these opinions from people that don't spend time in Elk Grove. The worst part of Elk Grove is the rest of Sacramento's perception of it.
i second all of this (except for currently living in DC). I still live in Elk Grove.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 31,903 times
Default update from original poster

Well, you can research a lot online, but sometimes a person (like myself0 just has to go see it to really get a feel for a place. And boy, I was pleasantly surprised!

First off, I liked Sacramento. Yes, it had its good blocks and not-so-good blocks, but overall while in Mid-town and the city center, I had a fine time!

I found Elk Grove to be clean and fresh looking, we did some driving around and all the houses we saw look well maintained. All the shopping, eating and visiting we did with people was great and everyone seemed pretty content with their community (plus they love being so close to Sac Town). The houses I saw with my agent made me think that overall, one could get a lot of house for their money--and those houses are pretty darn updated!

Now, Lodi. Loved Lodi. The Farmer's Market was like nothing I have here in this 'burb. The downtown was quaint and cool. The houses we got to see varied, but I think I could find something totally livable. The neighborhood feel for the place, that I got, was great: people washing their cars, families hanging at the lake, joggers, kids running a lemonade stand, etc.

Okay, no the town is Mayberry or Stars Hollow or any other adorable, crime free, unrealistic town from TV/ Plus,everyone has their own, unique opinion, and experience, but I feel that in the end this move to the area may be a great fit for my family!

I sincerely thank everyone on this city data forum who participates and can give perspective and helps someone in my situation! Any other advice or comments will be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
You might want to check out some of the small rural communities between Elk Grove & Lodi, like Herald or Wilton. I've got friends out in Herald and they love it. It looks like the southern Elk Grove boundary is at Grant Line Rd, and it looks really nice out there too...might want to check it out. It has a rural feel.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresbecca View Post
Well, you can research a lot online, but sometimes a person (like myself0 just has to go see it to really get a feel for a place. And boy, I was pleasantly surprised!

First off, I liked Sacramento. Yes, it had its good blocks and not-so-good blocks, but overall while in Mid-town and the city center, I had a fine time!

I found Elk Grove to be clean and fresh looking, we did some driving around and all the houses we saw look well maintained. All the shopping, eating and visiting we did with people was great and everyone seemed pretty content with their community (plus they love being so close to Sac Town). The houses I saw with my agent made me think that overall, one could get a lot of house for their money--and those houses are pretty darn updated!

Now, Lodi. Loved Lodi. The Farmer's Market was like nothing I have here in this 'burb. The downtown was quaint and cool. The houses we got to see varied, but I think I could find something totally livable. The neighborhood feel for the place, that I got, was great: people washing their cars, families hanging at the lake, joggers, kids running a lemonade stand, etc.

Okay, no the town is Mayberry or Stars Hollow or any other adorable, crime free, unrealistic town from TV/ Plus,everyone has their own, unique opinion, and experience, but I feel that in the end this move to the area may be a great fit for my family!

I sincerely thank everyone on this city data forum who participates and can give perspective and helps someone in my situation! Any other advice or comments will be appreciated.
I have family that live and work in Lodi. If you have any specific questions about Lodi just post them. The best of the best in Lodi is around the lake. IMHO. Just about any neighborhood is good. Most Neighborhoods South of Lockford Ave and East of Church and North of Harney Ln are probably not going to be in your comfort zone based on your posts.

Heck Lodi just got a BIG new Costco.

Hopefully you'll be moved in by the time the Lodi Grape festival starts.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 31,903 times
Thank you! Sadly I will not be out there as soon as the Grape festival. This is such a slow process; got my house up for sale here in the midwest and we'll see when we can finally get out there. (Hoping by June!! )

For now, in my spare time when I am not staging/cleaning my house and whatnot, I sit around and try to figure out which public schools my kids could go to. Perhaps something that gets a 5 or better on the greatschools.org site? Oh my...

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Glad you liked the area, it has a lot of options for families and is pretty inexpensive by California standards.

I think Lodi is a really under appreciated area out here. It has a lot of conveniences in a rather small area, and the downtown area is somewhat like many of the small Midwestern downtown's,

Some of the housing is really quaint, and you get a decent and relatively safe area with very low earthquake risk. As a bonus, you are only a little over 1/2 hour from Sacramento's Midtown area and 1 1/2 hours from downtown San Francisco.

Not a bad option at all, especially for folks still wanting to keep some small town Midwestern atmosphere.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 PM

116 posts, read 314,751 times
Lodi to Sac is about 50 min - 1 h drive, be realistic. Lodi to SF is 2 hours at least. Lodi to the nearest BART (Pleasanton) is at least 1:10.

Overall, I wish I lived in Lodi, it's a nice small city, very convenient for shopping (everything is on the Kettleman Ln, with Walmart and Target just across the street), but the local job market there is very limited for me.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I can make Stockton to Sac in 40 minutes, not during rush hour.

Lodi to SF is only 90 minutes if you do not go during rush hour.

I have made both commutes off and on since the 1980's.

Lodi School district is one of the best as far as public schools go in the Valley.

Also the private and charter schools are very good as well.

I am not a big fan of the great schools site.

St Anne's in Lodi has an excellent academic program and is one of the feeder schools for St. Marys High School in Stockton. St. Marys is one of the top private college prep schools in the State. Several friends and family send their kids to St Annes and a couple of the other parochial schools in San Joaquin County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento