Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 98,582 times

Advertisements

Hi.... The company my husband and I work for in the Buffalo, New York area now has an office in downtown Sacramento. We have always talked about moving to California, he has lived out west before (Albuquerque NM) and loved it. We are seriously considering a move.... Can anyone suggest a decent middle class neighborhood to raise our young son? I was thinking of Natomas, but read about that area being in a flood zone... our budget for a home would be in the $100-110k range, and we are most likely looking for a ranch-style home, with about 1200 sq feet, and a small yard. We are both very street savvy, and very free-thinking people, and very creative (office workers by day---musicians by night!)

We want to offer our son the open-minded life out west (we have had it with New York!).... Any ideas for safe neighborhoods close to downtown (within a 20 min commute) that would suit our needs?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
$100-110k is a very, very low number for a house in a middle-class neighborhood in the Sacramento area.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM

170 posts, read 252,255 times
agreed about the 100k for a home. We are from Buffalo, NY also and transplanted to Sacramento and the differences in real estate are worlds apart...apples and oranges. (Welcome to Sac btw...its a great great place! We are now being transferred to Cleveland but have loved the year here).

Can you rent for a bit and take time to check it out? Being musicians our Midtown area rocks! It has a great Allentown or Elmwood Village feel but, well, with a bit less litter and a bit more community sense. Sac is alot like Buffalo just minus the snow. Good restaurants, music, arts, theatre, parks. You will enjoy it Im sure.

How old is your son...do you need to think about school districts already? We live in South Natomas..almost downtown area. It can get a little bit sketchy sometimes more in the S. Natomas part. Never had any problems though.

There are a ton of rentals. Feel free to inbox me and I will help however I can. I have only been here about a year..almost..but I travel the county for my job so I get a good look around.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
I agree that $100K would make it difficult to buy a home in decent condition in a good in Sac. Maybe a condo.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE2007 View Post
a decent middle class neighborhood ........our budget for a home would be in the $100-110k range,

Any ideas for safe neighborhoods close to downtown (within a 20 min commute) that would suit our needs?
Not at your budget. I'm not even sure you could find a condo at that price close to downtown...perhaps closer to Arden & Watt, or out in Citrus Heights, but that's not necessarily, decent middle class. It's more like student housing. I agree with the other suggestions that you rent first, then look around.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWE2007 View Post
our budget for a home would be in the $100-110k range
rofl

Old 03-07-2013, 03:07 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,653,036 times
As long as you're willing to make certain sacrifices, you might be able to find a place. Super tiny inventory of houses right now, especially in that thread. But you still might be able to make it work. Unfortunately, you'd probably be in one of those neighborhoods that people recommend avoiding--South Sac, North Sac, or Oak Park. If it were me, I'd be looking for a cheap place with decent bones (poor cosmetics can be fixed up pretty easily), as far north in Oak Park (towards UCD Med Center) as possible in that price range. S

acBee just released a "shooting and murder" map from the last 5 years. That doesn't mean you'd avoid petty theft, be able to walk around feeling completely safe at night, etc, but it's a start.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
As long as you're willing to make certain sacrifices, you might be able to find a place. Super tiny inventory of houses right now, especially in that thread. But you still might be able to make it work. Unfortunately, you'd probably be in one of those neighborhoods that people recommend avoiding--South Sac, North Sac, or Oak Park. If it were me, I'd be looking for a cheap place with decent bones (poor cosmetics can be fixed up pretty easily), as far north in Oak Park (towards UCD Med Center) as possible in that price range. S

acBee just released a "shooting and murder" map from the last 5 years. That doesn't mean you'd avoid petty theft, be able to walk around feeling completely safe at night, etc, but it's a start.
Thank you... I am supposing that maybe we could afford more of a house.... In New York, about half of our mortgage payment is property taxes. Maybe this is not the case in CA? But maybe there are HOA or other fees/taxes in CA that I am not considering?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Property taxes in California are about 1% of the home's assessed value. There are HOAs if you live in a place with an HOA, but plenty of places don't have them. In some cases, mostly in newer developments, there are Mello-Roos assessments, basically a workaround to pay for things like schools and parks.

Sounds like New York's property tax rates are much higher than California's, especially outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento