Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,547,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovin View Post
Go to a different forum if you want to aimlessly and unendingly argue religion vs atheism.
Why? We had a nice civil debate right here and it was neither aimless or unending. And who said anything about atheism? The debate was purely about religion and the basis for certain religious views.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,379 times
Default We are so GAY friendly that…

If you’re acting gay you just might not want to leave large groups and wonder off.

Just don’t act gay in public, and you'll be cool.

What’s up with gays having to make a public scene anyways? Why do you people have to do this?
[SIZE=3](I don’t believe in political correctness so “you people” in this response means “you gays”) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have no problem at all with “you people” as long as you don’t shove your believes in my and my families face. There is nothing harder then walking down the street with your kids and witnessing a couple of gays swapping spit on a public street corner then having to explain to a little one what was going on there. This happened to my wife and me as we were walking down the street in broad daylight with our then 5 year old and 12 year old. You know how hard it is to explain your life style to a 5 Y.O.? I don’t feel that I have to since your life style isn’t my family’s choice. I’m not saying they wont ever find out about “you people” just not while I’m on a walk, in my town on a weekend as we are trying to enjoy our time together as a normal family. This situation isn’t the only time it has happened, in fact it has happened to us as a family in Lake Tahoe, Newport Beach, Austin Texas, Boise Idaho to name a few. My kids have now learned the different between expressing yourself towards another person and just flat out wanting attention like so many of “you people” do. I know you think I don’t like “you people” the truth is my brother-in law is gay and I think he’s one of the best guys I know; on top of that (no pun intended) I have a FEW gay friends (notice how people always say they have lots of gay friends…B.S) and my friends know how to act and the mass majority of normal people like myself who aren’t afraid to tell you the truth will say…just don't shove it in our face and everythings will be cool. I know I’m going to be bombarded by a few of you liberal “nut jobs” (the term "normal people" exclude liberals from the normal people...you cant be both normal and liberal)who hasn’t experienced living in reality yet; all I have to say to you is…you’re not worth my response, I’m to busy earning money to pay for the taxes you will consume. If there is a gay pride day…why don’t we have “Normal Family Day”? If there is an ebony magazine…why don’t we have “Cloud Magazine”? Black United College…White United College? etc...Anyways, come, enjoy our Rocklin, be gay just don’t act it.[/SIZE]

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80srocker View Post
If you’re acting gay you just might not want to leave large groups and wonder off.

Just don’t act gay in public, and you'll be cool.

What’s up with gays having to make a public scene anyways? Why do you people have to do this?
[SIZE=3](I don’t believe in political correctness so “you people” in this response means “you gays”) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have no problem at all with “you people” as long as you don’t shove your believes in my and my families face. There is nothing harder then walking down the street with your kids and witnessing a couple of gays swapping spit on a public street corner then having to explain to a little one what was going on there. This happened to my wife and me as we were walking down the street in broad daylight with our then 5 year old and 12 year old. You know how hard it is to explain your life style to a 5 Y.O.? I don’t feel that I have to since your life style isn’t my family’s choice. I’m not saying they wont ever find out about “you people” just not while I’m on a walk, in my town on a weekend as we are trying to enjoy our time together as a normal family. This situation isn’t the only time it has happened, in fact it has happened to us as a family in Lake Tahoe, Newport Beach, Austin Texas, Boise Idaho to name a few. My kids have now learned the different between expressing yourself towards another person and just flat out wanting attention like so many of “you people” do. I know you think I don’t like “you people” the truth is my brother-in law is gay and I think he’s one of the best guys I know; on top of that (no pun intended) I have a FEW gay friends (notice how people always say they have lots of gay friends…B.S) and my friends know how to act and the mass majority of normal people like myself who aren’t afraid to tell you the truth will say…just don't shove it in our face and everythings will be cool. I know I’m going to be bombarded by a few of you liberal “nut jobs” (the term "normal people" exclude liberals from the normal people...you cant be both normal and liberal)who hasn’t experienced living in reality yet; all I have to say to you is…you’re not worth my response, I’m to busy earning money to pay for the taxes you will consume. If there is a gay pride day…why don’t we have “Normal Family Day”? If there is an ebony magazine…why don’t we have “Cloud Magazine”? Black United College…White United College? etc...Anyways, come, enjoy our Rocklin, be gay just don’t act it.[/SIZE]
Way to put those people in their place 80srocker! Welcome to the forum. Are you suggesting that those who "act gay" should expect to be attacked if they "wander off" from their group in Rocklin?

For a second there, we could have swapped out the term "Gays" for "Blacks" and we would have all been taken back 30 years with the same storyline. I don't consider myself a "liberal", but I guess if I don't agree with you on this issue, that's what you'll label me anyway (along with "nut job", "not normal", a consumer of your tax dollars, etc). You probably don't consider yourself a hateful ultra conservative, but some will label you as such. We're all labeled by others somehow I guess. It's the nature of our society.

Why is it that public displays of affection by gays and lesbians is considered "shoving it down the throat" of a heterosexual? It's okay to be gay, so long as you don't let anyone know about it? Is it illegal to be gay? Sure, it might bring about an awkward discussion with your kids about these people (or should I say "freaks"), but that's part of raising a child. And since we've all decided that we can't just kill these people, we have to live with them. And part of living with them is accepting that they are different from you and I. Why should we expect them to hide the fact that they are gay while heterosexuals shove it down their throats? Maybe I should stop kissing my wife in pubic... I don't want gays and lesbians thinking I am just looking for attention.

Once the "normal families", as you put it, have to endure the same discrimination, hate crimes, and inequality as gays and lesbians because of their sexual orientation, I'm sure there will be a "normal family day", along with all of the other examples you mentioned. If being gay is so wrong that they cannot live freely like we do, why doesn't our legal system just make it illegal to be gay? I guess for the same reason we can't make it illegal to be female, or Black, or attracted to brunettes.

It's a complex world, and we have to explain some of these complexities to our children whether we like it or not, even when it's not convenient. It's the way we explain it that will determine if we will continue to make civilized progress or retain some of our savage and hateful nature.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM

238 posts, read 1,316,955 times
Once again: Ludachris for President.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM

32 posts, read 130,589 times
80srocker = Moron

Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM

406 posts, read 1,594,050 times
I think it also depends on what one means by "swapping spit in public".

Because I see a world of difference between a quick peck on the cheek and what happened at the Mariner's game. There are certain public displays of affection that need not occur in front of kids.

Lesbian kiss stirs up gay-friendly city - Life - MSNBC.com

Appropiate behavior depends on context. What is appropiate behavior in strip club, is not be appropiate behavior at Church. What is appropiate behavior in the Castro on Halloween isn't appropiate behavior in Rocklin on Halloween.

I see nothing wrong with strip clubs, churchs, the Castro or Rocklin, but I think everything has its place. There are people who feel most at home in an enviroment like the Castro and I respect that. But there are also people who feel most at home in an enviroment like Rocklin and I think that too is worthy of respect.

I doubt most residents of the Castro would want their neighborhood turned into Rocklin, but the reverse is also true, most residents of Rocklin wouldn't want there neighborhood turned into the Castro either.

Suburban neighborhoods want to limit strong overt displays of sexuality. Natomas got the Hooters moved that was too close to a school and tried to push it out entirely from the neighborhood. No suburban neighborhood wants a strip club or a massage parlour.

The reason people move to suburban neighborhoods is to keep private things private. Suburban folks love Rosie O'Donnel and Ellen Degeneris - its not a desire to discriminate against homosexuals as much as desire to discriminate against strong overt displays of sexuality.

Rightly or wrongly homosexual neighborhoods are associated with reduced prohibitions against strong overt displays of sexuality. At the Folson Street Fair you see behavior that you might not want your 9 year old child to see. Halloween in the Castro is different than Halloween in Rocklin.

While there are examples of heterosexuals getting wild at Marti Gras, I doubt those would be welcome in Rocklin either.

In the burbs, strong overt displays of sexuality are frowned upon. People who fail to respect that, are going to have problems fitting in, whether they are straight or gay.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Lucky for us these hateful views are becoming less prevalent in our civilized society. The majority are becoming more accepting of other human beings despite their differences. And hopefully less are teaching their children to condemn others because of these differences. It wasn't too long ago when a Black man couldn't make eye contact with a White man without getting beat to death in our great nation. Hopefully we'll be that much further along in another 100 years on the Gay and Lesbian front.

I wonder if 80srocker has just as difficult a time trying to explain the difference between Sikhs and Christians when the Sikh walking down the street with his turban on was "shoving his religious beliefs in his family's face" by showing off his turban and making a spectacle of himself? That can be rough when you're trying to enjoy a nice walk with your family and someone who doesn't share the same beliefs as you is parading their lifestyle choices so arrogantly! [/sarcasm] Sorry, I'm getting carried away now.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_klown View Post
I think it also depends on what one means by "swapping spit in public".

Because I see a world of difference between a quick peck on the cheek and what happened at the Mariner's game. There are certain public displays of affection that need not occur in front of kids.

Lesbian kiss stirs up gay-friendly city - Life - MSNBC.com

Appropiate behavior depends on context. What is appropiate behavior in strip club, is not be appropiate behavior at Church. What is appropiate behavior in the Castro on Halloween isn't appropiate behavior in Rocklin on Halloween.

I see nothing wrong with strip clubs, churchs, the Castro or Rocklin, but I think everything has its place. There are people who feel most at home in an enviroment like the Castro and I respect that. But there are also people who feel most at home in an enviroment like Rocklin and I think that too is worthy of respect.

I doubt most residents of the Castro would want their neighborhood turned into Rocklin, but the reverse is also true, most residents of Rocklin wouldn't want there neighborhood turned into the Castro either.

Suburban neighborhoods want to limit strong overt displays of sexuality. Natomas got the Hooters moved that was too close to a school and tried to push it out entirely from the neighborhood. No suburban neighborhood wants a strip club or a massage parlour.

The reason people move to suburban neighborhoods is to keep private things private. Suburban folks love Rosie O'Donnel and Ellen Degeneris - its not a desire to discriminate against homosexuals as much as desire to discriminate against strong overt displays of sexuality.

Rightly or wrongly homosexual neighborhoods are associated with reduced prohibitions against strong overt displays of sexuality. At the Folson Street Fair you see behavior that you might not want your 9 year old child to see. Halloween in the Castro is different than Halloween in Rocklin.

While there are examples of heterosexuals getting wild at Marti Gras, I doubt those would be welcome in Rocklin either.

In the burbs, strong overt displays of sexuality are frowned upon. People who fail to respect that, are going to have problems fitting in, whether they are straight or gay.
zen_clown, you make a great point. But I don't think anyone believes 80srocker's reference was directed towards both straight and gay. It was directed solely at gays (and lesbians).

It's the double standard that poses the problem and brings up the deeper issues. I think most people understand that the suburbs are usually a tad bit more conservative than the big city. Consideration for others is not too much to ask - whether you're straight or gay.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:25 PM
pba

410 posts, read 918,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80srocker View Post

There is nothing harder then walking down the street with your kids and witnessing a couple of gays swapping spit on a public street corner then having to explain to a little one what was going on there.

If there is a gay pride day…why don’t we have “Normal Family Day”?

If there is an ebony magazine…why don’t we have “Cloud Magazine”?

Black United College…White United College?
Wow, what an idiotic, homophobic, racist, uneducated, ignorant bunch of crap that you just said. None of it is worthy of any kind of response as I can safely assume the overwhelming majority of the people in this forum will agree that you're simply an idiot. So there's no confusion, let's define idiot for a minute (in my opinion you're more likely to fit definition # 2):

1.an utterly foolish or senseless person. 2.Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
pba

410 posts, read 918,143 times
Default Sorry David55838 but you're wrong AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david55838 View Post
80srocker = Moron
I guess you and I are going to disagree on everything. Clearly 80srocker is an idiot but instead you called him a moron. Sheesh, looks like you and I are just polar opposites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento