Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

Hi!

This is a question really for anyone who works for the state or knows their hiring process.

I’ve taken the test, applied, interviewed and just heard that one of my references were called. They did not call all of my references just picked a random one and called (I’ve heard this isn’t unusual) yesterday. I’m really curious how long is the turn around after they have contacted your reference(s) I was initially told that they want to start someone by the end of October and I’m just wondering what everyone’s personal experience with this is. How long after they contacted your reference until you heard back?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by QueenDee; 10-10-2017 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Left something out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM

276 posts, read 364,869 times
Unfortunately, there is no set time period. I have heard of people starting within a week of their interview and others after more than a year. It depends on the department, how the position is funded, and a ton of variables you will never discover. If they said they hope to fill by the end of October, you should hear soon if you have been selected. If you are not offered the job, you may or may not hear from the department - again, they are all different.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenDee View Post
Hi!

This is a question really for anyone who works for the state or knows their hiring process.

I’ve taken the test, applied, interviewed and just heard that one of my references were called. They did not call all of my references just picked a random one and called (I’ve heard this isn’t unusual) yesterday. I’m really curious how long is the turn around after they have contacted your reference(s) I was initially told that they want to start someone by the end of October and I’m just wondering what everyone’s personal experience with this is. How long after they contacted your reference until you heard back?

Thank you in advance
I'm almost in the exact same boat as you are. They wanted to know an emails to one of my references in order for them to contact them.Right now, it's a waiting game.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times
I work in HR for the state and this can take 1-3 weeks after the reference check is performed if they want to proceed with the hire. It really depends on a slough of circumstances.

The next step HR will perform is a list clearance. Based on your application they will make sure your job/educational experience clearly meets the minimum qualifications for the job. They will make sure you passed an exam that gave you list eligibility and you scored high enough to be a reachable candidate. Once you have been cleared by the exams unit they will let your prospective manager know that you are reachable and that they can make a tentative job offer. I work in payroll but this is pretty much the process that comes after a manager has a candidate in mind that they want to offer to.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,500 times
I just got a job with another state agency (transferring). It took about 2 weeks from the time the first reference was called, to getting notified of a conditional offer (don't give notice yet!), to the final offer.

Good news, if they called your reference, they are interested and moving forward. Congratulations!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2 View Post
I just got a job with another state agency (transferring). It took about 2 weeks from the time the first reference was called, to getting notified of a conditional offer (don't give notice yet!), to the final offer.

Good news, if they called your reference, they are interested and moving forward. Congratulations!

It was weird because they wanted to email one of my references but the other two hasn't heard back from the state at all. I would assume they would contact all three of them.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:24 PM

269 posts, read 246,815 times
I have been working for the state for 10 months. I had my interview and about seven days later I was offered the job. I had to have a physical and do a LiveScan background check, those took about four days, and then I started the following Monday.

I had been a stay at home mom for 20 years, so all the places I had worked were out of business, but they did call one of my references.

The fact that they are calling references is probably a good sign!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
I have been working for the state for 10 months. I had my interview and about seven days later I was offered the job. I had to have a physical and do a LiveScan background check, those took about four days, and then I started the following Monday.

I had been a stay at home mom for 20 years, so all the places I had worked were out of business, but they did call one of my references.

The fact that they are calling references is probably a good sign!
if you got the job, it concerns me that it's been a lot longer for me. The last time i heard from them was oct 10 and they needed me to verify an email address to send something to one of my contacts.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
if you got the job, it concerns me that it's been a lot longer for me. The last time i heard from them was oct 10 and they needed me to verify an email address to send something to one of my contacts.
Isn't it possible to contact the interviewer you spoke with and relay some of these concerns? Maybe they can shed some light on the process. Be advised though: This is the type of pace and communication you'll get actually working in the government too. Things will take forever, production will take twice as long as private industry. You way want to consider that moving forward.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I work in HR for the state and this can take 1-3 weeks after the reference check is performed if they want to proceed with the hire. It really depends on a slough of circumstances.
Sorry to be picky, but it's not "a slough of circumstances" - it's "a slew of circumstances"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento