Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,776 times

Advertisements

Caligirlz love the description of antelope... Roseville south but nohigh north! Agreed. Slavic gangs? Czech, er I mean, check. Definitely present in area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
Wow Nick, I'm impressed! what a great summary

Although, I do have to disagree with you concerning the bolded comment. No, the whole Sacramento area isn't still suffering. Folsom has very low inventory and prices are on the increase. Houses are selling for higher than list price. I just saw a listing in Empire Ranch for $231/sq ft! My model has increased by $30-$40k, and I bought 1.5 years ago at the 2003 price. I'm not seeing what you are describing in Folsom.

Now about Antelope, I also looked there when I was house hunting back in 2005 & 2007. And I used to do home visits for my job out there in 2007-2009. And I used to go out to visit other friends weekly out near Antelope Rd. On the surface, the neighborhood looks nice, but looking closer it is definitely fraying on the edges. There is definitely a higher gang (slavic) presence. Here's a crime map CrimeMapper - The Sacramento Bee, Sacramento, California Antelope may be "Roseville South" but by the same token, it is "North Highlands North" and it looks like it. The shopping center at Watt & Elverta - scary at dusk!

Antelope is one of those communities that was promoted (at least by my 1st realtor) as suburban but close to the city core. It's another one of those places that is way the heck out there, especially if you work anywhere on the eastern edge of Sacto region. My coworkers have to leave home at 6 am in order to beat the traffic on surface streets, because there are no direct routes to Rancho Cordova, Folsom or EDH. I remember once (yep the one & only time) I drove from Folsom to Antelope during commute hours. It took me what seemed like forever once I took the Greenback exit to get to one of the newer developments. It is like so many communities in Sacramento, some nice areas, surrounded by not so nice areas. You can get homes for cheaper out there, that's for sure.
Yah, the "west side" by Watt and Elverta is more sketchy, but it is still definitely a cut above North Highlands, and will remain so as long as Center Unified remains a much better school district. Still, I get the feeling there is a "tug of war" between the forces of "South Roseville" vs. the forces of "North North Highlands". I look at the relative fortunes of the Elverta Road/Walerga Road BelAir vs. the WinCo across the street to see how that will play out. So far, both are going concerns, but the difference in clientele is striking.

Housing has definitely rebounded, I am no longer "underwater" in my mortgage, and homes that were let go now have new lawns and gardens and paint jobs and hopeful realtors working them. I suspect this is the inflation effect; in an age of "quantitatively eased" dollars, real estate, no matter how pummeled a few years ago, is still a hard asset.

The big drawback about Antelope? It's a long way from most everything. Acquaintances in Midtown would call it "BumF*ck Antelope", although I never have home and car break-ins and they do.

Was your realtor a guy named Sean Bjers of ReMax? I swear I received the same "suburban but close to the city core" pitch. Like hell it is.

Last edited by NickB1967; 03-26-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
I look at the relative fortunes of the Elverta Road/Walerga Road BelAir vs. the WinCo across the street to see how that will play out. So far, both are going concerns, but the difference in clientele is striking.

Was your realtor a guy named Sean Bjers of ReMax? I swear I received the same "suburban but close to the city core" pitch. Like hell it is.
Well, I suppose you could shop at either of the TWO Walmarts

No, that name doesn't sound familiar. My guy was independent. And when he tried to sell me on creative financing, I fired him.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM

391 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
I might have the address wrong. I don't remember Walmart at that location. Of perhaps, I was there pre-Walmart. It was a deserted shopping center where Fashion Bug used to be located.

Edit: Ok, just checked it out. It was the same area. 8049 Watt Ave. I guess pre-Walmart. Yea, so Walmart has improved the neighborhood.

How many Walmarts are there in Antelope? Isn't there one off Antelope Rd & Roseville Rd? So...it's a 2 Walmart town...what's the population?
lmao. Were you in Antelope back in the 80s? oh wait.. Walmart has been there forever. You must be thinking of Kmart and that closing down. But still... Center and 'the other' High school had slavic folks attend so naturally you will find slavic folk. Nothing to be scared about.

btw... McClelland closing down was the best thing for north highlands. After the base closed, that area just became normal. I walked from arden fair mall to that "scary" walmart at night and was never touched, approached, or bothered. Oh wait.. I was. There was a truck with some kids that yelled "YEAH!" as they passed by, but nothing to get "scared" about. Oh the drama.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
lmao. Were you in Antelope back in the 80s? oh wait.. Walmart has been there forever. You must be thinking of Kmart and that closing down. But still... Center and 'the other' High school had slavic folks attend so naturally you will find slavic folk. Nothing to be scared about.

btw... McClelland closing down was the best thing for north highlands. After the base closed, that area just became normal. I walked from arden fair mall to that "scary" walmart at night and was never touched, approached, or bothered. Oh wait.. I was. There was a truck with some kids that yelled "YEAH!" as they passed by, but nothing to get "scared" about. Oh the drama.
I moved to Sacto in 2005, so no in answer to your question. It is possible I just didn't pay any attention to the Walmart because I certainly don't remember it in the same shopping center as Fashion Bug. The area I was, was nearly deserted.

And as far as the slavics go...I'm Slavic. I'm not afraid of my own people. I also know a lot of Slavic & Russians in Sacto, not afraid of them. Just noting that Russian mafia is alive & well in Sacto. Now as far as the Mexican, black & skinhead gangs....different story. or gangbanger wannabe's. I remember years ago before I moved to Sacto, in the 90's. I was visiting a friend in No Highlands. I got lost on the way back to the freeway. It was late, 1-2 am-ish. All there were on the streets were gangs of blacks, Mexicans & then a patrol car on every corner. That was scary. But typically, they don't bother me. I think I've mentioned before, I used to do home visits into some of the most notorious gang infested 'hoods in Sacto. Never had a problem.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:09 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,776 times
Gangbangers and mafioso in area are not desirable, regardless of ethnicity! I do agree that trouble USUALLY doesn't come looking for you... but... as far as asking if it is a desirable area? Not particularly in general. Roseville is, NoHi isn't, and Antelope is iffy.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
Gangbangers and mafioso in area are not desirable, regardless of ethnicity! I do agree that trouble USUALLY doesn't come looking for you... but... as far as asking if it is a desirable area? Not particularly in general. Roseville is, NoHi isn't, and Antelope is iffy.
I completely agree!!!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 AM

391 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
I moved to Sacto in 2005, so no in answer to your question. It is possible I just didn't pay any attention to the Walmart because I certainly don't remember it in the same shopping center as Fashion Bug. The area I was, was nearly deserted.

And as far as the slavics go...I'm Slavic. I'm not afraid of my own people. I also know a lot of Slavic & Russians in Sacto, not afraid of them. Just noting that Russian mafia is alive & well in Sacto. Now as far as the Mexican, black & skinhead gangs....different story. or gangbanger wannabe's. I remember years ago before I moved to Sacto, in the 90's. I was visiting a friend in No Highlands. I got lost on the way back to the freeway. It was late, 1-2 am-ish. All there were on the streets were gangs of blacks, Mexicans & then a patrol car on every corner. That was scary. But typically, they don't bother me. I think I've mentioned before, I used to do home visits into some of the most notorious gang infested 'hoods in Sacto. Never had a problem.
Walmart is surrounded by jack in a box, vet office, and a gas station, unless they built a strip mall in that tiny piece of dirty next to the auto dept. it's on the kmart side where food4less is.

I lived in Sacramento most of my life, what you describe doesn't make sense. It's like the fearmongers here in Phoenix. They tell you how horrible it is, but it really isn't. So... tips for people wanting to avoid problems with gang members. Don't do drugs, when you bump into someone don't act like an *******, don't drive in neighborhoods you have no reason to be in. But this could be applied to most of the United States.

Greatest example of this was in high school. Some kid talked **** to a group of guys after school and guess what he died. Darwinism at it's best.

Lastly, people of Sacramento love segregation. It's so funny to see a bunch of group A talking **** about group B all the time. Last time I looked Guy A making 30K was the same as Guy B making 30K, but not in Sacramento... lol

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremit View Post
Walmart is surrounded by jack in a box, vet office, and a gas station, unless they built a strip mall in that tiny piece of dirty next to the auto dept. it's on the kmart side where food4less is.

I lived in Sacramento most of my life, what you describe doesn't make sense. It's like the fearmongers here in Phoenix. They tell you how horrible it is, but it really isn't. So... tips for people wanting to avoid problems with gang members. Don't do drugs, when you bump into someone don't act like an *******, don't drive in neighborhoods you have no reason to be in. But this could be applied to most of the United States.

Greatest example of this was in high school. Some kid talked **** to a group of guys after school and guess what he died. Darwinism at it's best.

Lastly, people of Sacramento love segregation. It's so funny to see a bunch of group A talking **** about group B all the time. Last time I looked Guy A making 30K was the same as Guy B making 30K, but not in Sacramento... lol
What part of my post doesn't make sense to you? I don't see how your example relates to my experience.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
I have lived in Antelope for the last 2 years (moved from Citrus Heights). I like it here and our neighbors are great and the parks are nice as well. I would recommend this area to anyone who is contemplating a move here. The houses are less expensive and larger. My only complaint is the lack of police presence in the area but then again I own 2 pit bulls and 2 guns so not too concerned about crime. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento