Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:00 PM

109 posts, read 377,848 times

Advertisements

I don't like pointless pissing contests. I think if people provide facts to back up their claims, the discussion stays on point and the overall quality of the discussion is improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Yeah but drive by trolling is also fun sometimes.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 PM

378 posts, read 626,464 times
Elk Grove is okay, you'd notice it's more good than bad. However, while you're there, you'll realize it's small and could also be better. I wouldn't see the point of living there, especially with the better areas around Sacramento like Rocklin and Folsom, etc.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:05 PM

85 posts, read 432,827 times
25 homes to look at in folsom from 500-575K ASKING price. All 4+ beds....
Folsom, CA, Real Estate Listings and Folsom Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®
I have lived in elk grove and would rather live in Folsom. Its has a more Family feel. Schools are "generally" better. where is that API link.......
The commute in is very dependant on when. If your felxible its very manageable.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 PM

63 posts, read 222,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketir View Post
25 homes to look at in folsom from 500-575K ASKING price. All 4+ beds....
Folsom, CA, Real Estate Listings and Folsom Homes for Sale - REALTOR.com®
I have lived in elk grove and would rather live in Folsom. Its has a more Family feel. Schools are "generally" better. where is that API link.......
The commute in is very dependant on when. If your felxible its very manageable.
Rocketir:

Folsom may be a consideration. This will be especially true if the light rail would be a good option for commuting. I know that the light rail and the Portland Streetcar are excellent in Portland and if I lived in the suburbs and worked in the city it would be the only way to commute. Especially since a parking spot in Portland can run between $200 - $300/month.

I don't even have cable or dish because I think $75/month to watch TV is outrageous...certainly not going to pay to park my car.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM

109 posts, read 377,848 times
For what its worth, I think the neighborhoods in Folsom or Gold River are probably a little nicer than Elk Grove and both might offer you better light rail connections than Elk Grove.

That said, I think you might you have the same problem finding a home with the number of bedrooms and of the size you requested right now in the price range you are interested in. Its probably worth checking out the mls for these neighborhoods as well as for some of the neighborhoods closer to the Med Center. But if you need to buy right now, you might have better options in Elk Grove.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:35 PM

185 posts, read 535,906 times
Just make sure you stay clear of elk grove.[/quote]

Wow. A cesspool and a warning to stay clear of Elk Grove.
May I ask why you feel so strongly?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:44 PM

61 posts, read 244,613 times
I would only move to Folsom, Rocklin, or Eldorado Hills. I've lived in Fresno too (I think you asked about that city in another post) I would say 93720 is the best zip. Good luck! It's a tough job market out here - any luck??

Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonn8v View Post
I have heard that it is a good idea to steer clear of South Sacramento. What about Elk Grove? THe schools their seem to have higher performance that South Sacramento.

I am looking at commuting into downtown around the UC Davis Medical Center...looks to be around a 30 minutes commute from Elk Grove. Am I kidding myself?
Why elk grove? I don't know about you, but i don't like a 30 minute commute without traffic.. With traffic (rush hour times) it's going to be a lot longer than 30 minutes.

There's some really nice homes in the southport area of West Sacramento that are very safe and about 10 minutes from downtown.. I have a co-worker that takes the lighrail from Folsom to down town and he said the commute is about an hour to 45 minutes.. Again, not ideal.

Also i think you can find the squre footage and bedrooms you're looking for, also a lot cheaper. I've seen 2,300 sqft houses going for about $235k here (3-5 bed).. Not sure on the 3,000 sqft, but just take a look on realtor.com, pmz.com etc. Just make sure it's the "southport" area, or bridgeway lakes... The northside of town isn't great.. I don't know much about the schools, it's just my husband and I - so no kids. But i have seen kids around the neighborhoods here.. I know there's a newer school on Jefferson- not sure if it's a highschool or what..

Good luck!

Last edited by jribe; 07-05-2009 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 01:13 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
The commute is good, and you can get a LOT of house in EG right now... this place was hit about the WORST in whole area for forclosures, being overbuilt etc.

cons: too close to South Sac, which is truly a cesspool.
pros: housing market, schools, proximity to sac

just for the heck of it I'll throw in that it is dusty, but that is because you get a nice delta breeze- borderline windy at times.

stay away from the Laguna side to be more removed from S. Sac. Closest to Grant Line road is better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento