Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Yeah but Modesto smells.
Not as bad as Manteca thou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:40 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Modesto isn't that horrible, other than there's little to do... the area down around Turlock is where all the new suburban shopping has gone in. As other poster(s) have suggested, look for the good schools and you'll find the good neighborhoods.

If this is going to be a perm job this is a *great* time to buy, too.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,841 times
Default Is there a good high school in Modesto, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Modesto isn't that horrible, other than there's little to do... the area down around Turlock is where all the new suburban shopping has gone in. As other poster(s) have suggested, look for the good schools and you'll find the good neighborhoods.

If this is going to be a perm job this is a *great* time to buy, too.
Thank you for the input. As for the high schools, is there one better than others though? I really do prefer school with IB program and I think Modesto high is the only one. I will be visiting the city in early Jan (yes it is permanent job and as you mentioned, the housing price has come down by much) and the school but just want a heads-up.

Thanks everyone.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM

53 posts, read 155,352 times
I lived in Modesto for years and loved it. We always lived on the North side though. If you do decide on Modesto avoid anything downtown and anything 10 miles from 9th street. :-) I would pick Riverbank, right up against Modesto but way nicer and shorter drive then Tracy. Don't go anywhere near Modesto high. I went to Beyer high which was known at the time to be the more preppy school. :-)

Karrie

Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 46,703 times
Like any sizable city, Modesto has good/bad parts. As in most cities, the 'good' part tends to gravitate toward the North side. All the new development of Modest is occurring North and East toward Ripon and Riverbank respectively.

Tracy is a small cow town (literally), and has a significant commuting population into the bay area being the most westward (not including Mountain House) CV city--aside from the high winds during the evening due to the Altamont winds. Ripon has a highly professional population with most of the established businessmen, docs, lawyers, living on clustered neighborhoods there. Also, a lot of big box development is there along with a newly built Kaiser hospital that's the hub for Kaiser in the Central Valley.

If you like small town feel, then look toward Riverbank instead of Turlock IMHO. South Modesto is largely industrial and won't return to anything prominent, along with the jail on the south side lends to lower recovery. Patterson is also a consideration for small town feel, but again a bedroom community along I-5.

All depends on what you want and how much $$$ vs commute you'd like.

It's funny how some people pass judgement on entire sections or even cities. Even the more 'desirable' areas have their issues. eg: pocket area has had a rash of daytime robberies lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento