Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times

Advertisements

Still it's nice to take the trash out whenever possible don't you think? The Wasatch Front has some pretty effective gang task forces and they know who their adversary is. I'd be all for throwing in a few extra $$$ to get them properly outfitted to go toe to toe with the scum that are here and either bury them or send them packing. Sure would beat the fate that has been that of other large metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Still it's nice to take the trash out whenever possible don't you think? The Wasatch Front has some pretty effective gang task forces and they know who their adversary is. I'd be all for throwing in a few extra $$$ to get them properly outfitted to go toe to toe with the scum that are here and either bury them or send them packing. Sure would beat the fate that has been that of other large metro areas.
Very true, I am all for taking out the trash. It seems to me that they do good job of graffiti removal, I really don't see any other than the time I was on 4100(?) between Bangerter and the 15. Simple things like graffiti cleanup do wonders in crime fighting.

Do we have graffiti hotlines in the area?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
There is nothing (illegal or otherwise) available in any other US city that isn't avaliable in SLC. My impression is that crime is more "underground" here than other places, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Violent crime is also lower; I would attribute that to the easy availibility of guns and Concealed Weapons permits than by influence from the church. We have a proud tradition of shooting crooks here.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There is nothing (illegal or otherwise) available in any other US city that isn't avaliable in SLC. My impression is that crime is more "underground" here than other places, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Violent crime is also lower; I would attribute that to the easy availibility of guns and Concealed Weapons permits than by influence from the church. We have a proud tradition of shooting crooks here.
Good tradition!

I notice that Thefts here are higher than a lot of areas. I wonder if that is because people are more apt to report them here as opposed to areas that have more violent crimes to worry about?

I would imagine I would be nit pickier here, in CA when someone took something from your yard it didn't get reported, here I bet I would.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:35 PM

226 posts, read 567,699 times
Hilgi you crack me up

I'm also in favor of taking out the trash and I do it without fear of being mugged.

I think you're also spot on about crime getting reported here. Seriously, some kids broke off a bunch of flowers from my neighbor's snowball bush this spring and threw them around on the street - and the cops investigated. No joke.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahRoots View Post
Hilgi you crack me up

I'm also in favor of taking out the trash and I do it without fear of being mugged.

I think you're also spot on about crime getting reported here. Seriously, some kids broke off a bunch of flowers from my neighbor's snowball bush this spring and threw them around on the street - and the cops investigated. No joke.
I believe it. We had a police car sitting in front of our house months ago and my 7 year old had to talk with the policeman, so I asked him if everything was ok. He said that someone complained about cars going the wrong way in the ally so he was watching out for that. Where I grew up a police car meant someone escaped form the youth prison nearby.

We did have a “rash” (2 or 3) of things being stolen from garages that were open all night. I am sure that in many areas they would not have been reported.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
We did have a “rash” (2 or 3) of things being stolen from garages that were open all night. I am sure that in many areas they would not have been reported.
Uh huh and in many other areas a garage door left open all night would be a home invasion invitation, not just some petty theft.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 AM

5 posts, read 6,810 times
To be honest. the rest of Utah such as Ogden, St. George, Park City has a stronger LDS presence and does seem to be immune to the problems of the rest of the country. Salt Lake City on the other hand is like any other city in US it is diverse, and it is alot safer than alot of other cities in the US. They may be hard core gangs in slc. But SLC is generally a really safe city. One CON is a certain very few slc police officers are on a power trip, or mabey they think since they had military combat training that they think they are so bad [mod] rude [/mod]and try to harass random people. But there's nothing a call to internal affairs can't fix if your a victim of slc police harassment.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-01-2010 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
eh now if more parents would train their kids that "if it's not theirs leave it the heck alone" that would be a step in the right direction. I don't see much of that being practiced anymore. Destroying ones landscaping would be just a small part of it.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfjuggalo View Post
To be honest. the rest of Utah such as Ogden, St. George, Park City has a stronger LDS presence and does seem to be immune to the problems of the rest of the country. Salt Lake City on the other hand is like any other city in US it is diverse, and it is alot safer than alot of other cities in the US. They may be hard core gangs in slc. But SLC is generally a really safe city.
Sure if you think only having 40%-50% of your population LDS is an average US city, that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area