Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
We just say, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."
More to the point... Hollywood Park's government has said "We don't want to pay for the transportation service that will help her and other disabled people."

Someone should ask the mayor and council there why that choice was made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I may have misunderstood, but an earlier news report stated the residents of Hollywood Park "elected" to end VIA service. I don't know if that meant there was a vote, or that officials made the decision on their behalf. Or I heard wrong!

Either way, I think it would make more sense if Hollywood Park would just make separate transportation arrangements for her instead of everyone trying to force VIA do it. The city of Hollywood Park has the obligation to do so, and considering their "divorce" from VIA it doesn't make sense in trying to make the latter to take care of the problem.

There are numerous simplier solutions to this problem, it is just being sensationalized by KSAT 12. I was watching their morning news earlier, and they were really patting themselves on the back for "breaking" this "story"...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Either way, I think it would make more sense if Hollywood Park would just make separate transportation arrangements for her instead of everyone trying to force VIA do it. The city of Hollywood Park has the obligation to do so, and considering their "divorce" from VIA it doesn't make sense in trying to make the latter to take care of the problem.
I don't know. That seems to open a huge can of worms. Other neighborhoods are suddenly forced to make the same accommodations and then starts the debate over level of disability ("my limp is worse than yours so I should have exceptions made before you").

I am wondering about the rest of this story that wasnt reported. She had her accident 4 years ago. HP voted out VIA 7 years ago so it was in place before she had her accident. In the 4 between her accident and the news story what steps has she taken in dealing with HP? Has she formally discussed the issue with HP? Did she take the job in HP because she knew there was going to be no VIATrans service ? There is just too much we dont know to form an educated opinion.

I am also against the thought "well why wont her co-workers help her" etc. It would absolutely be nice if someone did, but there shouldnt be any obligation to help nor guilt for not helping. It becomes frustrating every time someone is in need those of us can help are called upon and guilted into doing something. Simply put, you can't help every single person that comes to you with their hand out.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Why is it the responsibility of Hollywood Park to subsidize her employment transportation in any way, shape or form? We don't have bus service out here - should SA supply it? NB? No - if we want it, we should pay for it. Period.
Thing is, the city of HP had an election in which their VOTERS decided that VIA cost more than they wanted to pay. That's their choice - and frankly, I can't blame them. Not saying that they were right, simply that it's not up to me (or any other non-HP resident) to decide how they should spend *their* money. Think about it - ultimately, that's what those wanting HP to somehow pay for this are doing.....hopefully, putting it that way gives you reason to rethink it!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I may have misunderstood, but an earlier news report stated the residents of Hollywood Park "elected" to end VIA service. I don't know if that meant there was a vote, or that officials made the decision on their behalf. Or I heard wrong!

I didn't know that VIA service was voted out. Apparently the citizens there don't want to pay the taxes for it, nor do they want residents who depend on mass transit.

It'd be interesting to see what other taxes HP might opt out of, given the chance... the Alamo Colleges System, the Edwards Aquifer Authority?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Why is it the responsibility of Hollywood Park to subsidize her employment transportation in any way, shape or form? We don't have bus service out here - should SA supply it? NB? No - if we want it, we should pay for it. Period.
Thing is, the city of HP had an election in which their VOTERS decided that VIA cost more than they wanted to pay. That's their choice - and frankly, I can't blame them. Not saying that they were right, simply that it's not up to me (or any other non-HP resident) to decide how they should spend *their* money. Think about it - ultimately, that's what those wanting HP to somehow pay for this are doing.....hopefully, putting it that way gives you reason to rethink it!
I do feel the city has (or should have) an obligation to provide public transportation, especially to someone with disabilities. However, it is the city's decision on how they will provide it, and if they feel that VIA is not a cost-effective way to do that, then it's their call. I am sure that decision was the one the vast majority supported, but I still think there are certain circumstances as a result of that decision that the city of Hollywood Park needs to address...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I didn't know that VIA service was voted out. Apparently the citizens there don't want to pay the taxes for it, nor do they want residents who depend on mass transit.

It'd be interesting to see what other taxes HP might opt out of, given the chance... the Alamo Colleges System, the Edwards Aquifer Authority?
I would assume there's a difference between what is controlled by COSA and what is under Bexar County. Like, they couldn't opt out of taxes for the public hospital because that's a county mandate. Via is a COSA service. I don't know what the colleges and aquifer authority fall under, but my assumption is county.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,645,484 times
VIA isn't going to budge, short of HP going back to allowing bus service again. Seems like the best answer would probably be some way of HP helping disabled residents out...helping finance a car might be the best answer for this lady, and probably the most economical for HP.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
RIGHT HERE in our own country (in the richest country in the world), there's so many people in need who pay US taxes all their life and do right by the system. It would be easier for her to live off the taxpayer and sit at home collecting money (even if it's less money) rather than walking 1 mile to work; she chose differently.

Ms. Valadez was disabled by no fault of her own. God forbid, this could hapen to any of us. And this is how we take care of our own. We just say, "Sorry, there's nothing we can do."
Do you know this person? Seems like you know a lot of the details behind the story not explored in the short news clip about her financial situation, whether she's receiving assistance of any kind, what motivates her to work, and how she became disabled.

If you don't actually know these things, you're just making assumptions that make her into the heroic character you want her to be. I'm not saying she's not, but don't claim to everyone that she is if you're just basing these statements off the short video clip.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Do you know this person?
No, do you know her either?

Quote:
Seems like you know a lot of the details behind the story not explored in the short news clip about her financial situation, whether she's receiving assistance of any kind, what motivates her to work, and how she became disabled.
I know what I know from the videoclip, did you watch it or not?

Quote:
If you don't actually know these things, you're just making assumptions that make her into the heroic character you want her to be.
WRONG. I'm basing it on facts.

FACTS: She is disabled. She walks a mile to and from work. VIA does not want to drop her off in Hollywood Park because they have no contract. She is working rather than not working AT ALL.

THOSE ARE THE FACTS.

Quote:
I'm not saying she's not, but don't claim to everyone that she is if you're just basing these statements off the short video clip.

I base what I believe on the facts (as noted above). What you choose to believe about her is your opinion obviously. And I have mine as well. I DO think she is a hero. That's my opinion.

Any disabled person with 3 kids trying to make a living regardless of their circumstances (VIA not helping out, walking a mile to and from work to make a living), IS a hero to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio