Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,012,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Honestly, SA is probably not for you.
I gotta agree with Nick on this one. This place does have a "live and let live" attitude, but if you're the kind that has disparaging viewpoints and feel you have to correct everyone to your way of thinking, you're gonna have a hard time here!

For one, this Texas; the majority of folks here are carnivores that like steak, BBQ and TexMex. You can find organic foods, but don't expect them to be as prevalent as say California.

As for environmental groups, what exactly are you looking for there? Land ownership is very protected under Texas law, so if you think you're going to go on someone's property to tell them how to live then you may end up with a backside full of salt pellets (if you're lucky).

But the good news is you're going to learn more about "global warming" than most places. In other words, this is Texas, so don't think you're gonna convince people that it's hot because someone uses aerosols or drives a big truck or SUV. Concerning evolution, I don't know how much is taught in our schools buy my 8th grade son tells me they have not covered the subject. That said, they don't teach religious beliefs either; just straight science.

I don't think being in an inter-racial marriage is a big issue, as you can read in this thread SA is pretty diverse and knowing several inter-race couples, none have ever mentioned it being a problem.

But it does sound like you're got very strong opinions that may run contrary to most folks over here, and as I said if you are vocal about them that will cause more problems than anything else.

The bottom line is San Antonio is typical Texas, and it's no secret that means conservative viewpoints, strong faiths and a friendly, welcoming attitude but also not putting up with criticisms and complaints for long. Many come here and adapt well to the area, but it's not for everyone and given what you've shared with us, Austin would probably be more towards your liking as it is a liberal college town.

Good luck with you search!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,524,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I gotta agree with Nick on this one. This place does have a "live and let live" attitude, but if you're the kind that has disparaging viewpoints and feel you have to correct everyone to your way of thinking, you're gonna have a hard time here!

For one, this Texas; the majority of folks here are carnivores that like steak, BBQ and TexMex. You can find organic foods, but don't expect them to be as prevalent as say California.

As for environmental groups, what exactly are you looking for there? Land ownership is very protected under Texas law, so if you think you're going to go on someone's property to tell them how to live then you may end up with a backside full of salt pellets (if you're lucky).

But the good news is you're going to learn more about "global warming" than most places. In other words, this is Texas, so don't think you're gonna convince people that it's hot because someone uses aerosols or drives a big truck or SUV. Concerning evolution, I don't know how much is taught in our schools buy my 8th grade son tells me they have not covered the subject. That said, they don't teach religious beliefs either; just straight science.

I don't think being in an inter-racial marriage is a big issue, as you can read in this thread SA is pretty diverse and knowing several inter-race couples, none have ever mentioned it being a problem.

But it does sound like you're got very strong opinions that may run contrary to most folks over here, and as I said if you are vocal about them that will cause more problems than anything else.

The bottom line is San Antonio is typical Texas, and it's no secret that means conservative viewpoints, strong faiths and a friendly, welcoming attitude but also not putting up with criticisms and complaints for long. Many come here and adapt well to the area, but it's not for everyone and given what you've shared with us, Austin would probably be more towards your liking as it is a liberal college town.

M2 is pretty much right on with this. Austin would probably be a better fit.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:33 PM

580 posts, read 1,430,822 times
Quote:

Oh, please!!! Stop replying with this stock response. San Antonio is a DEMOCRATIC city, and has been for a long time. We have a great recycling program, and alternative energy is one of the big policy pushes for UTSA and the city as a whole. We've been expanding hike and bike trails throughout the city for a long time (as you yourself consistently point out, majormadmax, as a biking aficionado).

There are those who live far out from the city center and imagine that San Antonio is a conservative, gun toting mecca. The great majority of the city is not that way. Take it from me--a vegetarian, left-wing, pro-gay equality, evolution-teaching resident who has never taken flack from ANYONE in this city for my ethical or political beliefs. And I associate with all sorts of people, whether at bars, restaurants, or grocery stores.

And the vegetarian options in this city are more than enough to keep me satisfied.

You'll be fine here. Not everyone will be like you, but they'll be friendly. I see "liberal" bumper stickers in this city all the time, and letting people know that you're an atheist and an environmentalist should cause absolutely no ill-will. (And nothing the OP said was "preachy," so please don't accuse her of that.)

Old 09-26-2010, 03:41 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,884,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etznab View Post
I'm considering a job offer in San Antonio. If I accept, I would be working in the Centerview Crossing office complex at Callaghan and Loop 410. I'm ideally looking for a short commute. What neighborhoods should I be looking at?
This really depends on the price range you have to work with. Are you looking into renting an apartment, a house, or are you more wanting to buy?

If you want something just to rent I would recommend finding a residence to rent in the area you are going to work at, maybe near Vance Jackson and I-10 which is on the other side of I-10, or anywhere north and east of your location.

Going further south from your work location in any direction will make you live further and further within the inner-city.

A quick rule of thumb is neighborhoods north of Loop 410 are more expensive to live in than those south of it.

Quote:
So far I have spent one weekend in San Antonio and it wasn't enough to let me know if this is a good choice for me. I grew up in a big city in the Northeast but spent the last decade living in a medium sized Southern town. One of the things I cherish about my current home is the mixed use developments. Though I definitely need a car, there are some areas where I can actually walk. I didn't see anything like that in SA, other than downtown. But maybe I wasn't looking in the right place?
Mixed-used neighborhoods are mainly found deeper in the city, just north or directly south of town, in the neighborhoods between Broadway street and San Pedro and a bit south of Hilderbrand.

They are not the most prestigious neighborhoods but you have San Antonio college in the area, quite a few night clubs, much older homes including a few Victorians which have been converted into duplex and even quadplexes. Many business litter the area with not many of the huge shopping strips at all in the city that seem to be characteristic of loop land (everything between 410 and 1604).

Quote:
I also try to buy local and organic food whenever possible and avoid processed foods. What are my options for local shopping and maybe local environmental groups?
Expect to pay more but our local grocer, HEB, does have a few selections in the organic aisles though not sure if this is the same on all sides of town.

We also have a Whole Foods Market at the Quarry and there are two Sun Harvest stores with one being very near the I-10/410 interchange where you will be working by. Both of these stores will carry the products you want.

As far as groups you will have to wait for a better response from someone who would actually know. In other words if there are any groups, no matter their size, the general public might not know much about them. Of course there is always the option of forming your own.

Quote:
I don't have any children yet. But if I do in the future, do I have any options for either a private or public school that treats evolution and global warming as a scientific reality? Or is home schooling my only option?
These issues are highly politicized on the legislative level but I have never heard of any local controversies regarding either. If any language in the textbooks exist to either deny global warming is caused by human imprint or to support creationism it will only be a small section in one chapter.

More time is devoted to other topics, less controversial ones, and as others have already stated, they really just teach science in class. The greatest issue I have with our public schools is standardized testing and test preparation takes priority over a liberal education. Most of our students and citizens are not very bright here.

With all that said Texas leads the nation in wind energy as well as cutting back energy in the home.

Quote:
I'm in an inter-racial marriage. How common is that in San Antonio? I did have a bad experience related to this during my visit. But I'm not sure if that was an isolated aberration, or something I will constantly face.
It really, really depends but within the city itself, no, this should not be a problem. Around the neighborhood which you will work, definitely not. Of course a Mexican married to a white might not even stop to think about it but a Middle-Easterner married to a white person might?

I'm sure everyone has there challenges but for the most part no, this won't pose a problem at all here.

Quote:
I believe that all cities have pros and cons. I appreciate any input you can share related to the issues I have asked about.
You would be more at home in Austin, I would too, it is hard to find common people to relate too. Most people just want to drink alcoholic beverages and watch TV or sports here, at least those in my age range.

Also if you are below 40, especially below 30, all these potential problems you mentioned won't be a problem at all. Most people also do not care what religion you are, most are Christian or Catholic, few go to church though, most won't raise an eyelash at hearing you are an atheist, in fact they will find it all boring and just want to talk about something on TV or sports ~_~ Everyone else who does not drink is very family oriented.

This is not some small Texas town where you will feel harassed, no one I know has what you would consider a 'Texan' accent, so you can quickly erase all the stereotypes out of your head. If anything SA is a poor town for the most. We have a huge service industry for that matter.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,794,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
For example, in Massachusetts... I got flipped off, just because I drove a Camaro. If you didn't drive a yuppy prius, you were shunned. They actually try and make you feel ashamed for being a conservative. So glad I'm out of that dump. No pride for the military or veterans.
After owning several sports cars with my last one being a Subaru STI, I made the switch to a Prius.

I enjoy the car but have certainly noticed how aggressive drivers here are towards me because I am in a Prius. I guess I am too 'yuppy' for the folks here now.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 PM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
Quote:
I guess I missed the part where the OP said that he wants to change other people's viewpoint.

I've heard many people saying the same thing "I live and let live" but then spend all day long talking trash about anybody that has a name that is not Bill or Bob and doesn't drive a pick-up truck.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM

33 posts, read 86,428 times
I'm a liberal, agnostic, green-minded person, and while SA isn't unwelcoming at all towards me, I did feel more in my element when living in Austin. If my spouse and I could get equivalent jobs in Austin, we would, but until then...

Most of my friends are primarily conservative and christian, and we largely just avoid talking politics are religion and everything is fine. I grew up in Texas, though, so I'm used to biting my tongue to avoid uncomfortable situations.

I can't speak towards how interracial couples are recived by the masses, but in general SA is a pretty diverse and welcoming city when it comes to ethnicity.

The Texas Board of Education is a rather concerning cast of characters for those of us who aren't of the christian faith. I have no children yet, but I admit I'd have to think long and hard about sending my child to public school depending on how the next few years progress. I am a product of Texas public schools, and I had a biology teacher who taught creationism (and repeatedly bashed evolution) on the sly until my parents said something to the principal and he was reassigned. Obviously, that was one invidividual and one experience, and is in no way indicative of the entire system, but its an anecdote that certainly left an impression on me.

In the last few years we have gotten some sufficient options in terms of organic and local food options. There are several decent farmers markets, co-ops, and several grocers who carry a large selection of organics. Slowly the food scene here in SA has matured although the chain options will likely always outnumber the locally-owned, ingredient-driven restaurants.

All in all, SA is a decent city to live, and has become home for me. I personally would love to have more like-minded folks in the area.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,426,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Oh, please!!! Stop replying with this stock response. San Antonio is a DEMOCRATIC city, and has been for a long time. We have a great recycling program, and alternative energy is one of the big policy pushes for UTSA and the city as a whole. We've been expanding hike and bike trails throughout the city for a long time (as you yourself consistently point out, majormadmax, as a biking aficionado).

There are those who live far out from the city center and imagine that San Antonio is a conservative, gun toting mecca. The great majority of the city is not that way. Take it from me--a vegetarian, left-wing, pro-gay equality, evolution-teaching resident who has never taken flack from ANYONE in this city for my ethical or political beliefs. And I associate with all sorts of people, whether at bars, restaurants, or grocery stores.

And the vegetarian options in this city are more than enough to keep me satisfied.

You'll be fine here. Not everyone will be like you, but they'll be friendly. I see "liberal" bumper stickers in this city all the time, and letting people know that you're an atheist and an environmentalist should cause absolutely no ill-will. (And nothing the OP said was "preachy," so please don't accuse her of that.)

Mmmm....San Antonio may be strongly blue, but it is far from liberal. Hell, I wouldn't even call Austin liberal. Compared to Boston or Seattle, Austin is merely "open-minded".

Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,794,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Mmmm....San Antonio may be strongly blue, but it is far from liberal. Hell, I wouldn't even call Austin liberal. Compared to Boston or Seattle, Austin is merely "open-minded".
I agree with you. San Antonio is far from liberal but will remain in the blue for long time to come.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,714,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, yeah, but if they're listening to the stories, they know that the controversy is over what is CURRENTLY in there--evolution.

So....until that changes, no sweat for these folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio