Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,327 times

Advertisements

We've banked with SACU for years and the experience has been good but we are considering a move to USAA because they offer more services than SACU which would allow us to consolidate several services and have a one stop shop. An added plus is there is a branch around the corner from our house so it's more convenient also. What has your experience been with USAA?? Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Have had USAA for 35+ years now, I still think they are the best although sometimes they have they "issues" just like every other company...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
We are members of both SSFCU and USAA. SSFCU remains our 1st choice, so if an option, you might want to consider that.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
Had SSFCU, went to USAA, now I am back with SSFCU. Ive had issues with USAA and depositing cash in the ATM, it always got worked out, however it took time that I didn't have access to my money.

USAA bank dose have some fantastic benefits, they don't charge you to take money out of other ATMs, and they will refunded you up to $15.00 a month charged by other banks. They also don't charge to use debt at some locations which SSFCU dose

Last edited by Me007gold; 02-19-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,816 times
I was with SSFCU for years, then worked for them for years, then opened up an RBFCU account because I could. RBFCU beats SSFCU in every way except for number of branches and branch hours. But that is even less of an issue now because of the checks I am able to deposit through their iPhone app. (which SSFCU still doesn't have...)

Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
We tried RBFCU and SSFCU before we ended up with USAA. I have used USAA for 12 or 14 years now and been happy with the service.

We had a problem with identity theft 5 years ago and USAA was not wonderfully helpful with that, but I don't think any bank is. Identity theft is the one crime where you really have to scramble to prove yourself innocent.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,327 times
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering how USAA handles identity theft or if your account is compromised. Last year, the hubs somehow dropped his debit card at a gas station. Within 30 minutes, SACU called him asking if he'd used his card at several places we never shopped before. Sure enough, someone found his card and went on a shopping spree. Luckily, SACU was watching out for us and immediately shut the card down and refunded every penny stolen from our account, issued new cards and all within 2 days. We still do not know how the thief figured out our pin though. They also will call us if any suspicious charges are made to ensure they are ours i.e. the time I was on a plane and just had a hankering for a bloody mary resulted in a phone call to the hubs. I wonder if USAA or others keep sch a protective eye on their members???? We've not dealt with anyone else in decades so we don't know if this is normal service or not. Is it??

Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
I use SSFCU and USAA. We're no longer in San Antonio so having "Deposit @ Home" with USAA is a great benefit. I'm not sure why SSFCU is so behind the times on that. SSFCU is ultra-hypervigilant about debit card abuse. I tried to use an ATM here in Dallas a few weeks ago and got a message that said "Communication Error" but the money was still taken out of my account even though I hadn't received any. After using my SSFCU card, I tried my USAA card....same result. Notified both institutions, USAA credited me immediately, SSFCU took several days and then cancelled my card. ??? Sent me a new one and told me my card had been compromised. My USAA card was not compromised at that ATM, only the SSFCU one was? OK. I mean, I know they are just trying to be protective but it is annoying at times. My son used his SSFCU card online months ago and they sent us a letter stating it had been compromised as well and they were sending a new card....still waiting. After 15 back-and-forth e-mails with them, I've given up and transferred his money out. Also, we have a credit card through SSFCU and the second you use it online or out of town they start calling you.

I'm just being lazy by not closing out SSFCU entirely but all our bills are paid with that account. I'd have to expend some effort getting our direct deposits changed and all the rest of it.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
In our case, the identity theft was because of a stolen check. The person who stole it from the night drop box (we had paid our rent) printed checks, got my husband's driver's license number somewhere and made an id with that number, and did a decent job of forging his signature. The only way we got anyone to believe it wasn't my husband writing the checks is that the guy writing them was a tall, thin redhead which my husband definitely is not.

I don't know how USAA handles issues with debit cards, I haven't had any problems with mine. I know there's a limit to how much cash you can get out of an atm in a day, but you can call them if you're having an emergency and need to get more. They ask you a bunch of security questions and then they set it so you can get out the amount of cash you need even in the middle of the night (for bail because of the ID theft, it was horrible).

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM

293 posts, read 392,163 times
I also have a few problems with ssfcu, as when I went to get my drivers license, I could not use my card to pay because they said that ssfcu had a firewall issue with them so they cant accept payments submitted through them. I am also a student and work full time, so when I have my one day off a week, I do all of my errands and I always have to call ssfcu and wait forever to get them to set my swipe limit higher, as you can only use your card 15 times in one day. This sucks during holiday shopping as the wait to speak to them is sometimes up to 20 minutes and they cannot reset the swipe limit at a branch. I also have sacu which I have had for over 15 years and they have always provided great service only wish they had more locations and atm locations. But I also have usaa insurance and was thinking of closing down both bank accounts and getting usaa as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio