Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:23 PM

52 posts, read 104,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Are you also aware of the mobile home park basically across the road from Alamo Ranch? Seems like something that would bother you.
Yeah, I guess I would have to look at it while spreading my "Grey Poupon" mustard on a sandwhich in the back of my limo. jeez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:25 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-virginia View Post
Yeah, I guess I would have to look at it while spreading my "Grey Poupon" mustard on a sandwhich in the back of my limo. jeez
I was trying to be helpful.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Read a newspaper sometime...

NEISD expects $28 million less, tallies budget cuts - San Antonio Express-News

Better watch your bubble, as things ain't quite as rosy in NEISD as you think they are!

Cheers! M2
Times are tough everywhere. Hopefully we won't end up like NISD.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You jest, but NISD has weathered the economic downturn a lot better than NEISD has!

Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-virginia View Post
Thanks for the comments.

I am not sure why many are averse to utilizing some of the statistics cited on the various websites. If a school has better test scores and draws from less impoverished neighborhoods, what is wrong with wanting to put your children there?
In my experience, better test scores just means kids have learned how to take a test. Texas schools in general, but some more than others in an effort to bolster their ratings, spend most of their time teaching to the test. Not what I want for my kid. In public schools you can only avoid it so much, but some do better than others in encouraging kids to learn for learning sake, where the kids may not ace the test, but they learn how to learn and develop a love of learning, which IS what I want for my kid.

Drawing from less impoverished neighborhoods often means many more resources for a school, but not necessarily a better education or better environment.

If those two things are important to you, than you'll need to focus on those areas of town that meet that, which it sounds like Alamo Ranch does not.

Last edited by Chaka; 08-24-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
In my experience, better test scores just means kids have learned how to take a test. Texas schools in general, but some more than others in an effort to bolster their ratings, spend most of their time teaching to the test.
This is a really good point. That seems to be a large portion of the school year, preparing for standardized tests.

I remember when I was a kid, we just took the darn things, and those would be the couple of days that we didn't have homework. There was no huge preparation for the tests. The only test I can remember people really studying for was the SAT.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
What are we here, five years old?

Honestly, San Antonio should just merge all the school districts into one. Cut out the fat at the top and there'd be more money to pay for more teachers.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
Actually there is low income housing in Alamo Heights. I mean can you imagine the pressure on those kids!

I was all for one district until I got to experience a HUGE district in Raleigh. It was a mess. It was by county and included multiple towns/cities. They were still busing for diversity (a BIG problem for someone from San Antonio!) and it was causing havoc not to mention the budget for buses alone. It was just too big to be able to focus on the needs of every area. After experiencing that, I think the multiple district system in SA makes more sense. I hated my son's school up there--and it was one of the better ones. It was such a relief to get him back in Stone Oak Elementary. I don't know about the other schools here but I LOVE ours and we are not leaving again!

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
True that! Let the snobs be snobs together.
Not necessarily, even AH district draws from some lower income areas (not low income as in southside, but lower than what we think of for AH)

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
If you get a kick out of thinking you're sending your kid to the best school in the world, good for you. However, it doesn't guarantee that your kid will become something in life.

There are kids who go to less than stellar schools who do VERY well in life because of THEIR motivation and zest for life. It's all about the individual. Likewise, there are parents who send their pampered and spoiled kids to the best schools and they don't really do much in life either than living off of Mom and Dad's money and partying it up their college years.

In short, a good public school doesn't guarantee anything in life. It's all about the individual, ultimately.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 08-24-2011 at 10:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio