Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:30 AM

81 posts, read 230,684 times

Advertisements

After reading a post by little_thirsty in another thread, I began to wonder if they might be one of the many area drivers who ignore the Left Lane for Passing Only and Slower Traffic Keep Right signs (and understood custom) on our highways. (Not making any accusations, just wondering.)

As much as I love San Antonio, I'm often annoyed by the slowness and laid-back driving style exhibited by many drivers. Now if it's a one-lane road or if you are in the right lane, I can tolerate it. But if you are in the left lane and you are driving slower than the surrounding vehicles (regardless of how fast you are actually going), I will try to point that out to you in as friendly a manner as possible. :-)

Old 08-23-2007, 07:35 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
No I live in the right lane as much as I can. I am still learning the city and venture in the left lane as little as possible. I have a baby in the back seat and don't want to put her in danger, going to fast, but also by going to slow. I try to stay at the speed limit.
We have seen some interesting things on the road here. Its kinda like "I'm driving so I have the right of way". We have seen people make up lanes, go the wrong direction on a frontage road, people passing on the shoulder...I have never seen anything like it. Again, I love this city, I am just having to adjust to driving in it.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Drivers suck here. Absolutely the worst drivers I have ever seen.

Driving home last night. I'm in the farthest right hand lane. Guy passes me on the shoulder.. On 281.. Traffic was going about 45 MPH..

I honk.. I get flipped off.

Trust me when I say it has nothing to do with drivers in the left lane and has everything to do with the blatant disgegard to the safety of others on the road.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM

37 posts, read 141,994 times
Default drivers here are clueless

These things happen all too often in SA for whatever reason:

1. Slow people in left lanes -
Don’t drive 50 in the left lane, leave it open for people who want to drive at least or above the speed limit
If you are going to get on the highway, then DRIVE!!!

2. Everyone hanging out in the right lane -
This is a huge problem when there are entrance ramps with no acceleration lane and when there are lanes and people act as if they don't want to let others onto to the freeway. This is so RUDE and extremely dangerous.

I don't think drivers in this city understand that being a jerk is risking your life and others!

That doesn't answer your question - I don't understand what the problem is in this town!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:55 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
If you want to go 50 there are frontage roads you can drive on. The right lane(s) are for the speed limit (usually 65-70). The left lane, well that is for everything over

Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 AM

796 posts, read 3,049,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrewa View Post
As much as I love San Antonio, I'm often annoyed by the slowness and laid-back driving style exhibited by many drivers. Now if it's a one-lane road or if you are in the right lane, I can tolerate it. But if you are in the left lane and you are driving slower than the surrounding vehicles (regardless of how fast you are actually going), I will try to point that out to you in as friendly a manner as possible. :-)
I was thinking of starting a thread on this. I guess you beat me to it. When we first moved from here to the Austin area, I felt every one was on my tail. I quickly adapted to the faster way of life Austin has. Every time we came back here to visit family, it was always a joke on how you can tell we are in the SA city limits because of the slow driving.

Now that we have moved back, it is really obvious. I drive 1604 between 281and Bandera a lot. It's amazing how many people on that road are barely even going 60 in a 70 mph zone! It looks like there is traffic and congestion, but in fact it is just a bunch of slow drivers. I am not a speeder, I have 4 kids in the car so I don't take risks. But, I do like to drive the speed limit. 410 is a similar situation, but of course the speeed limit is not 70 in most places, but still a lot of people are driving a lot slower than the posted limit.

Now, one thing I do have to get used to again here is the good ole yield sign. They don't have those in Austin. But then again it is not a stop sign, like I also see a lot of people doing. They will stop right in the road even if there not a car going off the ramp!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
I've learned to cope with the various driving styles because I finally figured out that not everyone is being a "jerk".

1) SA has a fairly large "retired" population....and that aging population is out on the highway, and possibly fairly nervous. I'm not talking 90 year olds....but just aging drivers who don't get out as often. It only takes one trip out on loop 410 during this construction to put the fear in an elderly driver. My own mother is 84....a very good driver, but she avoids the freeway completely now.

2) LOTS of tourists that don't know their way around town. Remember we have people in and out of this city (under massive construction and poor signage) that are trying to enjoy a vacation or get to a business conference. They too are going to be extra cautious.

3) LOTS of international drivers that are not familiar with US customs. Many don't even speak English yet.

4) LOTS of transplants....and many who come from very fast paced cities (I moved from Dallas and there is NO comparison to traffic there! ) Everyone is in a rush....and the longer a commute, the faster they want to get home. Life in SA never used to be that way....now there is this big PUSH to make everyone drive faster.

Add #'s 1,2,3 to the freeway with #4 and it can be a nightmare. Then sprinkle in road construction and expansion.....and well....voila! We have a problem.

I've learned to allow extra time, get in my car.....and take deep breaths so I don't allow those "jerks" to get to me.

Happy driving!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:15 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,369,172 times
Speaking of traffic....anyone been to Houston lately? I made a trip there recently and there is MAJOR construction on I-10. I needed to get to far North Houston near the airport....and by the time I hit Loop 8 I was at a dead stop! 6 lanes being channeled into ONE! There was no place to go....no access for emergencies, all the feeders were backed up....just a complete massive gridlock. I only needed to get to Sam Houston Tollway, but it took me 2.5 hours from the time I hit town to get to Kingwood!

Just a friendly warning if anyone is traveling to or through Houston! Take I-35 North to 290 and cut over to Houston from the North. This is a huge project that will take months.

It makes San Antonio construction looks like kindergarten!

Old 08-23-2007, 09:16 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
4) LOTS of transplants....and many who come from very fast paced cities (I moved from Dallas and there is NO comparison to traffic there! ) Everyone is in a rush....and the longer a commute, the faster they want to get home.
You're right about driving up here wCat...don't even get caught driving in the left lane going 60...you'll be run over faster than you can turn on your right blinker!! Even in the other lanes, if you're not doing at least 70, you've got everyone on your car's bumper trying to give you a little "nudge" to speed up!

When I'm in SA, I can markedly see a difference in driving compared to how it used to be a few years back. I see the speed increasing but I guess I've been lucky to not have to be behind a slow poke in the passing lane.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:50 AM

162 posts, read 539,577 times
Biggest pet peave -- tailgating! I'm driving with the flow of traffic, so get off my a$$!!! Stay a safe distance from the car in front of you, or if you're really in that big of a hurry, go around...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio