Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times

Advertisements

To describe N.W. San Antonio in those terms is a complete divorce from reality.These people are both misinformed and plainly have never been to a foreign country where anything really goes.
To describe N.W. San Antonio, tx like that proves this.
I sure would love to drop them off out of an automobile in certain areas of East Detroit, Mi about 2:00 A.M. and see if this doesn't change their minds. Sitting behind a computer screen and penning garbage is a lot easier than dealing truth.
I am sure this experience would be a life changing event for them. To mention nothing of improvement of their sprinting skills. In 2011 Detroit alone , not the suburbs, had 360 unsolved murder cases. Les Harrison isn't a bad neighborhood in comparison, at all.
That post was utter nonsense. Remember the terms Garbage in-Garbage out for computer gibberish ? Regardless if it was Opinion of N.W. San Antonio or not it was B.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think there is some exaggeration on some of the posters parts. Of course, this is all opinion so I won't fault anyone for that. Moderator cut: orphaned Drive through the area just south of Culebra and 1604 and then take 151 to 90 and go a bit closer to the Zarzamora area and drive toward downtown. Then tell me how safe you all feel in comparison. If I had to choose between the two I would pick the Culebra and 1604 area.

However, I strongly agree with the east of Bandera, West of 281 and north of 410 statement (partly because I live there and partly because I think it is the safest).

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 AM

19 posts, read 47,035 times
If one was forced to live on the West side of San Antonio, I would have to suggest Alamo Ranch but in all honestly do yourself a favor and stay away from the west side garbage. If you are looking to spend money on a nice house, in a safe community and want to be around like minded people check out far north San Antonio.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM

41 posts, read 85,137 times
SimpleTruthNOW, I live in Highlands Ranch, and I'm really familiar with Arvada! I thought all I had to worry about was just safety around the 1604/Culebra area, but what My-3_M_Angels said about her car getting broken into in her Westover Hills gated home community really conerned me.

I really appreciate all the responses, good and bad. There's two reasons we want to move here: I hate the winter in Colorado, and I hate the way my husband and son are treated. My husband is Italian and has black hair with fairly dark skin. Since moving to our nearly all white suburb in Colorado, the men have been very rude and unfriendly, and we can only think it's beause they assume he's Hispanic. My son has dark brown hair and gets asked if he's Mexican and gets teased at school because his best friend is Mexican. That's just not okay with me.

Part of the reason we chose Alamo Ranch is because we liked the diversity of the people. We both grew up in a small CO town that was about 50% white and 50% hispanic and loved it. We've spent days in the Alamo Ranch area visiting stores, restaurants and neighborhoods. I have seen so many nice families and experienced a lot of friendliness. In fact, we went out to eat Sat night at 11:30 pm there, and it was very calm. The roads there are wide, the stores have large parking lots, and everything is green and well manicured.

What I'm most afraid of with Stone Oak is making a lateral move and putting my husband in the same position where he faces the same kind of treatment he does now. We did spend time in SO as well as the Lifetime Fitness and he wasn't treated as well. I felt that everything was really crowded there and not as accessible to the subdivisions further out. It's also not as green or maintained along the main streets, and I'm not understanding why. Money is not an issue. The homes we're looking at in AR are 350 to 400K, and we can afford more. I've seen many homes within that pricerange in SO. I've looked in Helotes and Sonoma Ranch, too,and there's just not stores/restaurants around.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,099 times
If your concern about SO is diversity I can assure you it is quite racially diverse for SA. Hispanic, Arab, Indian, Asian it's one of the things I missed most when we moved away and a relief when we got back.

Not sure what was going on at Lifetime. The management staff can be kind of snotty but I haven't had to deal with them since I joined 6 years ago. The place is packed with Mexican nationals who are are stinking rich so I can't imagine anyone looking down on him because they thought he was Hispanic.

Also you mention your son so I would suggest you check the actual schools he would attend on the TEA website and Great Schools. I think AR are in NISD so you can check boundaries under the district website then plug them into the other sites. SO is NEISD and would be elementary-Stone Oak, Wilderness Oak, Hardy Oak, Tuscany Heights, Canyon Ridge and 2 new schools to open this fall (hopefully). Middle--Bush and Lopez. HS--Reagan and Johnson. They are all excellent schools academically. I have heard AR has an elementary school but not a middle or HS although that may have changed.

Last edited by TXsurburbanmom; 06-17-2012 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You'll probably hate the summers here. We don't get much winter and no winter weather that affects driving, but the trade off is that it's about 100 degrees here every day all summer long and doesn't usually cool off until October. Oh, and if our roads ever do ice up in winter, we shut down the whole city and stay home until it melts.

The diversity in San Antonio is pretty widespread. San Antonio likes to segregate itself by income levels rather than race. Your husband is not going to feel discriminated against in the Stone Oak area unless he's looking for reasons to feel discriminated against. There are plenty of well-off Hispanics who live in that area.

Personally, I prefer not living near 281 and 1604...the noise and the traffic are not to my liking.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Your car can get broken into anywhere in town though. But in your price range, your house will most definitely come with a garage, and while you're at home, you can park in the garage.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrn89 View Post
SimpleTruthNOW, I live in Highlands Ranch, and I'm really familiar with Arvada! I thought all I had to worry about was just safety around the 1604/Culebra area, but what My-3_M_Angels said about her car getting broken into in her Westover Hills gated home community really conerned me.

I really appreciate all the responses, good and bad. There's two reasons we want to move here: I hate the winter in Colorado, and I hate the way my husband and son are treated. My husband is Italian and has black hair with fairly dark skin. Since moving to our nearly all white suburb in Colorado, the men have been very rude and unfriendly, and we can only think it's beause they assume he's Hispanic. My son has dark brown hair and gets asked if he's Mexican and gets teased at school because his best friend is Mexican. That's just not okay with me.

Part of the reason we chose Alamo Ranch is because we liked the diversity of the people. We both grew up in a small CO town that was about 50% white and 50% hispanic and loved it. We've spent days in the Alamo Ranch area visiting stores, restaurants and neighborhoods. I have seen so many nice families and experienced a lot of friendliness. In fact, we went out to eat Sat night at 11:30 pm there, and it was very calm. The roads there are wide, the stores have large parking lots, and everything is green and well manicured.

What I'm most afraid of with Stone Oak is making a lateral move and putting my husband in the same position where he faces the same kind of treatment he does now. We did spend time in SO as well as the Lifetime Fitness and he wasn't treated as well. I felt that everything was really crowded there and not as accessible to the subdivisions further out. It's also not as green or maintained along the main streets, and I'm not understanding why. Money is not an issue. The homes we're looking at in AR are 350 to 400K, and we can afford more. I've seen many homes within that pricerange in SO. I've looked in Helotes and Sonoma Ranch, too,and there's just not stores/restaurants around.
If you insist on not living in Stone Oak then I implore you to at least check into Sonoma Ranch and the Helotes area prior to selecting Alamo Ranch. Trust me...it only gets worse the further west you get in San Antonio.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM

123 posts, read 258,073 times
I live on the far west side and regularly shop at Alamo Ranch. I've not been a crime victim, nor have I witnessed any crimes in the area. Some of these posts are utterly rediculous. I also frequent the area just east of Bandera just outside and inside 1604. It doesn't appear any classier than the area I'm in.

My parents' car was broken into on i10 near Fiesta Texas, and my mom's friend had everything stolen out of her car at Pappadeaux on 410. Both crimes happened in broad daylight.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM

General rule of thumb in San Antonio is to avoid anything near or inside the 410 LOOP aside from Alamo Heights area.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:11 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
General rule of thumb in San Antonio is to avoid anything near or inside the 410 LOOP aside from Alamo Heights area.
Now THAT is complete ignorance! I guess Mr. Butt (the billionaire of HEB) is quaking everyday he leaves his King William house. I guess all of the lawyers in Monte Vista are just looking for future clients. I guess the professors in Monticello Park or the teachers in Highland Park must be illiterate since they can't read the "truth".

...and I could go on and on about Machnke Park, about Tobin Hill, about Government Hill, etc.

Please, please, please, before painting ANY area of town with a mean-spirited and inaccurate brush, at least be properly informed.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Now THAT is complete ignorance! I guess Mr. Butt (the billionaire of HEB) is quaking everyday he leaves his King William house. I guess all of the lawyers in Monte Vista are just looking for future clients. I guess the professors in Monticello Park or the teachers in Highland Park must be illiterate since they can't read the "truth".

...and I could go on and on about Machnke Park, about Tobin Hill, about Government Hill, etc.

Please, please, please, before painting ANY area of town with a mean-spirited and inaccurate brush, at least be properly informed.
The areas you mentioned are old and outdated and just dirty in general. If that is what you like, then so be it.

But for me, I would never want to live in a house older than 10 years old. New is always better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio