Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 06:40 PM

41 posts, read 85,116 times

Advertisements

Hello, we have been visiting from Denver this week looking for homes. We have covered every area of town and decided we liked Alamo Ranch the best. We love the vibe we get there, the people, the stores/restaurants, etc. I'd like to to know how bad the crime is around there. When we were outside Anytime Fitness near Culebra/1604, we saw a car that had just been broken into in broad daylight, in a busy shopping area. After that, we went to the Books A Million store and there was a security guard inside, and you couldn't use the bathroom without getting a key from the front. I decided to google crime in this area and saw a whole lot of reports of robberies in stores around here. Can anyone give me their opinion on this area or any information about how frequently crimes llike robberies and car thefts occurs here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 47,015 times
I lived in Arvada, Co until moving to San Antonio 3 years ago and when I first moved here I chose that area near Alamo Ranch and quickly learned that this area is very dangerous and in fact "ghetto" to an extent. Sure, the Alamo Ranch community itself is nice and new but just inside the 1604 Loop is very shady neighborhoods on Les Harrison Rd and down Grissom Rd it is still very shady.

Since I had to stay in San Antonio I moved to Stone Oak and now my only worries are traffic. Stone Oak is safe and clean and the only negative is the traffic. Stone Oak is one of a handful of communities in San Antonio area that are not below or near the income poverty line and you get what you pay for.

Moderator cut: bashing is not permitted

I'd never live west of Bandera Rd again.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
Thats the way I feel as well, East of Bandera, West of 281, North of 410.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTruthNOW View Post
I lived in Arvada, Co until moving to San Antonio 3 years ago and when I first moved here I chose that area near Alamo Ranch and quickly learned that this area is very dangerous and in fact "ghetto" to an extent. Sure, the Alamo Ranch community itself is nice and new but just inside the 1604 Loop is very shady neighborhoods on Les Harrison Rd and down Grissom Rd it is still very shady.

Since I had to stay in San Antonio I moved to Stone Oak and now my only worries are traffic. Stone Oak is safe and clean and the only negative is the traffic. Stone Oak is one of a handful of communities in San Antonio area that are not below or near the income poverty line and you get what you pay for.

Moderator cut: bashing is not permitted

Moderator cut: orphaned Some of San Antonio is starting to go down the crap hole, Dont know why the city keeps investing in downtown projects, or rename historic streets in order to attract tourism. When you got a huge group of streets starting to sink in or completely disintegrate. Moderator cut: libelous slander

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 06-16-2012, 10:20 PM

19 posts, read 47,015 times
That is accurate. The roads are horrid and the neighborhoods are rapidly deteriorating inside the 1604 Loop. Alamo Ranch is nice for now but give it a few years and I am certain it will be tagged up with graffiti and will resemble a slum.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
West Creek was nice when I moved here 7 years ago, not its mostly ghetto with all the tagging. All the Cali implants that came here as children think they grew up in a rough neighborhood and want to impose their stupidity in a suburban neighborhood.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Car break-ins happen all over town. Of course the people on the north side insist that the bad guys drive over from the other sides of town to break into cars on the north side...but it happens everywhere. Same with stores being robbed. You also have to look at what kind of robberies they're talking about, is it beer runs or is it armed robbery.

About Books A Million, I can't think of another store in that shopping center where you need a key for the bathroom, or even where I've seen a security guard, other than the parking lot patrol (meant to deter car break-ins).

If you can afford it, the area that was described above, "east of Bandera, west of 281, north of 410" is probably the best. But there are plenty of other decent places to live if you're looking for a more affordable area. The area around 1604 and Culebra is not terrible, it's true that the neighborhoods just inside 1604 right there are pretty shady though. 1604 and Potranco is fairly decent, except traffic if you live outside of 1604.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:49 AM

9,849 posts, read 13,689,106 times
I think there is some exaggeration on some of the posters parts. Of course, this is all opinion so I won't fault anyone for that. Moderator cut: orphaned Drive through the area just south of Culebra and 1604 and then take 151 to 90 and go a bit closer to the Zarzamora area and drive toward downtown. Then tell me how safe you all feel in comparison. If I had to choose between the two I would pick the Culebra and 1604 area.

However, I strongly agree with the east of Bandera, West of 281 and north of 410 statement (partly because I live there and partly because I think it is the safest).

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-22-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 AM

40 posts, read 108,636 times
I definitely agree with everyone else. Alamo Ranch might look good now, but it's still surrounded by crap honestly. We lived in the Westover Hills area 8 years ago and quickly moved once we saw the decline and that was a really nice area in its time. We were tempted to build in AR, but it wasn't far enough away. I have many firends that moved there when it first opened up and have moved away or regret their purchase. We've lived in the Helotes/Sonoma Ranch area which was nice, but have since moved outside the SO area to Canyon Springs and it's a whole different feel and environment. The area is cleaner, safer (I've left my garage door open and car doors unlocked many times and nothings ever been stolen) and just overall a wonderful area. No real issues with traffic as we don't have to use 281, but for piece of mind, traffic wouldn't be a deal breaker for my family. To put it into perspective, when we lived in Westover Hills/Hyatt Hill Country Resort area, my car was broken into twice in the driveway of my gated neighborhood and 3 times when out shopping/eating. Once it was at the Rudys BBQ with us sitting right outside, but the SUV wasn't in plain view. That's a total of 5 times in the span of 3 years and we lived in a real nice area right near the golf course and resort.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM

381 posts, read 767,992 times
Some people here think the Alamo ranch area is worse than afghanistan! I have family members that live outside the 1604 loop just a few blocks from there for about 4 yrs and have never expererienced any sort of crime yet. I just bought a house there in in their community and will be moving there next week. Stone oak is better, but geeze!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio