Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times

Advertisements

You are getting old man. What the newest generation accepts as a norm the old order of us do not like to accept this change as positive.
I see a tatoo on a beautiful young girl as the disfiguring of an otherwise perfect complexion and
spoke of it to a very pretty girl with a very nice tatoo of a red rose on her foremarm.
Standing behind the cashbox she was at a Walgreen's when I remarked on what a nice tatoo it was.
" I wished I had never done it. It was a dumb thing to do but it cost $25.00 to put on and costs
$3000.00 to remove", were her remarks on this tatoo.
However it is what they choose to do to act rebellious. Something, anything, that will purposefully be percieved as outrageous and rebellious and shocking. This behavior has been happening for generations.
Old is boring to kids so they always search for newer and trendier things to be noticed.
Social change comes very quickly nowadays.So much so that hradly anything is shocking to me anymore. There are simply no more outrageous things to do that willl be percieved as antisocial.
Ever notice how some kids must add the word "Like" nearly with every other word
in conversation ?
Some people appear to me to be entirely too old to be expressing themselves like this.
I think this tatoo fad will pass quickly as newer generations of kids coming of age will recognize
how it is a permanent disfigurement. It is a silly practice, I agree, particularly these people that are covered with "Artwork".
I think it will be regarded as foolishness and the folly of youthful indiscretions by these many of these same kids someday, more and more as they begin to age .
Two of my three sons, well into their twenties have tatoos, but where they cannot be seen publicly,
like on the neck etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americasman View Post
I was at Fiesta Texas this past weekend and...dayum!!! The amount of ugly tatted people was just amazing!!! Why is SA stuck in such a gangster wannabee mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 AM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
Ok, I dont mind if they are nice tattoos with some color. But the majority are black ugly tattoos of skulls and peoples names and such. And I dont understand the thing with women getting huge tattoos on their arms and stuff. Dont they realize what that crap is going to look like when they are like 60? And dont even get me started on people with tatts on their neck!!!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Tattoos aren't as bad as those earrings that some people get that strech out the ear lobes. Again, they are a personal choice and I respect that but I can't help but think how that will affect them when they get much older.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
Quote:
I was at Fiesta Texas this past weekend and...dayum!!! The amount of ugly tatted people was just amazing!!! Why is SA stuck in such a gangster wannabee mentality?
imo, tats make people really ugly. dont fix it if it aint broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerfeeder View Post
What infuriates me are people who are tatted up head to toe and pull out their LSC and IPhones.
UGH hipsters. they are their own special breed of douchebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Who cares what they do to their body?

I may not like the way the look, but I'm not the one that needs to live with it.
if the render any services to me, i care. if they dont, meh, but that wont stop me from commenting on how silly you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
If the conversation must be had this should definitely be a part of it.

Amanda Wachob, Tattoo Artist, Turns The Skin Into The Canvas (PHOTOS)

Check out the gallery.
would look better on actual canvas and not a human.

Quote:
Ok, I dont mind if they are nice tattoos with some color. But the majority are black ugly tattoos of skulls and peoples names and such. And I dont understand the thing with women getting huge tattoos on their arms and stuff. Dont they realize what that crap is going to look like when they are like 60? And dont even get me started on people with tatts on their neck!!!
ironically, i know a rather stunning 34 year old blonde woman who has her soon-to-be ex husband's name tattoo'd on the base of her neck. she hates it something awful.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
kinda awesome.

And for what it is worth... I know a microbiologist, architect(s), librarian, teacher(s), etc. etc. with tattoos. Heck, my kid's elementary school has teachers that have ones that are visible at all times.

If they are well done and meaningful vs. just trendy, I can appreciate them. I will admit that there are some that I just say to myself, "why?"

Funny thing is that my older kid doesn't care too much for them because "you can't change them easily." It will be interesting to see if his generation tries to be different and abstains because "all the old people have them."
Maybe they will be the generation that develops the first forgivable, transhumanist, and electronic-tattoo that can be changed or erased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
You are getting old man. What the newest generation accepts as a norm the old order of us do not like to accept this change as positive.
I see a tatoo on a beautiful young girl as the disfiguring of an otherwise perfect complexion and
spoke of it to a very pretty girl with a very nice tatoo of a red rose on her foremarm.
Standing behind the cashbox she was at a Walgreen's when I remarked on what a nice tatoo it was.
" I wished I had never done it. It was a dumb thing to do but it cost $25.00 to put on and costs
$3000.00 to remove", were her remarks on this tatoo.
However it is what they choose to do to act rebellious. Something, anything, that will purposefully be percieved as outrageous and rebellious and shocking. This behavior has been happening for generations.
Old is boring to kids so they always search for newer and trendier things to be noticed.
Social change comes very quickly nowadays.So much so that hradly anything is shocking to me anymore. There are simply no more outrageous things to do that willl be percieved as antisocial.
Ever notice how some kids must add the word "Like" nearly with every other word
in conversation ?

Some people appear to me to be entirely too old to be expressing themselves like this.
I think this tatoo fad will pass quickly as newer generations of kids coming of age will recognize
how it is a permanent disfigurement. It is a silly practice, I agree, particularly these people that are covered with "Artwork".
I think it will be regarded as foolishness and the folly of youthful indiscretions by these many of these same kids someday, more and more as they begin to age .
Two of my three sons, well into their twenties have tatoos, but where they cannot be seen publicly,
like on the neck etc.
The use of the word like is as old as the hills (Scooby Doo?) but really began to spread with the rise of valspeak and has continued among many segments of the population even after the '80s.

Those well into their 40s might use it but hopefully not as excessively as you have described.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The use of the word like is as old as the hills (Scooby Doo?) but really began to spread with the rise of valspeak and has continued among many segments of the population even after the '80s.

Those well into their 40s might use it but hopefully not as excessively as you have described.
That is true until we find ourselves talking to a 20-something. Then it, like, all comes flooding back.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Get off my lawn, you kids with tatoos!

I've been working with people with and without. No difference. Some of the smartest and best performers had lots of ink. Some of the no-ink up tight folks are total (fill in bad word to describe personality).

Old 05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
stc

43 posts, read 89,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmakemonies View Post
because what they choose to do with there body shows you about there personalty. would you want a fat guy as your personal trainer?
would you want someone addicted to a narcotic baby sitting for your kids?

But when you go out shooting people, selling drugs and acting like a thug. You have decided for yourself to live like that. and you will be treated like that

if you want to dress, act like a thug then you will be treated like a thug
I don't disagree with the sentiment, but that's some pretty heavy extrapolation there. If someone ACTS like a 'thug,' ok. But, these people had tattoos. They weren't acting thuggish or doing anything other than having a tattoo. They weren't shooting people or selling drugs.

They weren't wanting to control your finances or operate on you.

They were riding roller coasters.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1174 View Post
UGH hipsters. they are their own special breed of douchebag.
The reference you quoted wasn't to hipsters.

LSC = Lone Star Card... known to us folks with vivid memories of the 20th Century as Food Stamps.

The reference was a swipe at people on public assistance having a smartphone and tattoos. I figured when I read it that it was a potent combination of criticism that would raise some hackles, but apparently not.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Quote:
Please tell me about the beautiful skin you're going to have when you are 60. This comment makes no sense to me.

I'm not a fan of all tattoos. I have tattoo's but I see plenty that I can't stand and make me scratch my head. But lol at judging people for having them. I've had "friends" steal from me, etc and they didn't have tattoos. It's not indicative of character. There are those that get them for artistic reason, and then there are those that get them because they have become a bit trendy. But most of us don't get them to impress other people. So we don't care that you don't like them. I think chuck taylors are ugly shoes. Should I label everyone that wears them a "lazy hipster douche"? Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio