Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM

340 posts, read 586,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
I thought Cibolo and Schertz were neighborhoods? they are actual cities? psssshhh :0
Actual municipalities that have grown at substantial levels since 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 AM

340 posts, read 586,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
You are absolutely right....Walmart won't move in without a tax abatement from the city. Tax abatements are an economic development tool available to cities, counties and special districts to attract new industries and to encourage the retention and development of existing businesses through property tax exemptions or reductions.

So you have city council that is working to negotiate incentives with walmart, to build in an area where it is going to significantly devalue home prices and bring traffic to an area that is right in the middle of the heart of the city. Schertz on the other hand puts their wal mart on the otherside of I35 away from their residential area. Any decently run city recognizes the basics of city planning.....separate your commercial/industrial zones away from your residential areas. Bad planning on the part of city government. Cibolo is just a poorly run city.
You literally copied and pasted that from a website. I honestly have to believe you had no clue what a tax abatement was prior to reading the post you quoted.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
Quote:
When you look at Cibolo, the SCUISD has done a good job of building small schools around residential areas. People want to live close to schools so that there kids can walk or it is a very short drive. When you have working parents, the proximity from home to schools are important.
The homes and the school are already there, so building a Wal-Mart at the proposed site is not going to change the proximity from those homes to the school.

Quote:
Now you build a 180KSF Walmart across from the school/residential areas there will be 1000% more traffic, crime, and you take away from the residential aura and make it a 24/7 parking lot.
I'll grant you that a Wal-Mart will increase traffic, which could pose a safety issue for kiddos walking to/from school, although those issues can be mitigated. However, if they put more houses or apartments there instead of a Wal-Mart, you'd also end-up with more traffic.

Quote:
Another example of poor planning on the city of San Antoino. No wonder there is this growing max exodus to the suburbs. A city that is well managed will be able to control surburb growth and keep people in the city limits. When major commercial went up at 1604 in the Helotes area....on ramps to 1604 should have been built. Instead the city of San Antonio put in traffic lights or kept traffic lights.
First of all, the city of San Antonio is growing just fine. It had the fourth largest numeric population increase between 2011 and 2012: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...g_cities_2.pdf. And keep in mind that a lot of "suburban" areas are within COSA. (Oh, and the term is "mass exodus".)

And I don't know what commercial area you're thinking about, but there are on ramps to both directions of 1604 near the commercial area at Bandera Rd. The only traffic lights are on Bandera itself.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,695 times
BTW, it looks like it's a fait accompli:

Wal-Mart is coming to Cibolo - San Antonio Express-News

Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM

226 posts, read 926,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
Another example of ignorance. But it's OK, because ignorance can be corrected.

The city of San Antonio doesn't build or maintain highways. That is the responsibility of TXDot, aka, a state agency. They are in charge of building on ramps to freeways. Not the city.

Yes ignorance.... Let me correct you....TXDot Responsibility for PLANNING on ramps? Let me clarify.... there is something called an MPO and it is this agency that does the transportation planning for the roads around San Antonio. San Antonio has significant part to play in the determination of what gets built where.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post

First of all, the city of San Antonio is growing just fine. It had the fourth largest numeric population increase between 2011 and 2012: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...g_cities_2.pdf. And keep in mind that a lot of "suburban" areas are within COSA. (Oh, and the term is "mass exodus".)

And I don't know what commercial area you're thinking about, but there are on ramps to both directions of 1604 near the commercial area at Bandera Rd. The only traffic lights are on Bandera itself.
Yes, San Antonio is growing just fine in terms of pushing everything out. The city has a good track record of allowing growth in the COSA, and then annexing the areas and not providing quality services. Not to mention when they do annex the city significantly raises the property tax rate. Do you think the people in the Dominion wanted to be annexed? In fact it is the norm for areas to try to fight city annexation.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
BTW, it looks like it's a fait accompli:

Wal-Mart is coming to Cibolo - San Antonio Express-News

New city government will be elected this Nov, and with it there will be no ribbon cutting ceremony when the Walmart is finished. Walmart will open to picket signs!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
New city government will be elected this Nov, and with it there will be no ribbon cutting ceremony when the Walmart is finished. Walmart will open to picket signs!
I guarantee within a week you and all your "hoity toity" neighbors will be there with full shopping baskets, asking how you ever lived with out a Walmart.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvp View Post
You literally copied and pasted that from a website. I honestly have to believe you had no clue what a tax abatement was prior to reading the post you quoted.

You must be a developer or maybe a Walmart employee! Many cities end up on the short side of the stick, because they give in or even sometimes are bribed by developers that promise lots of revenue. What happens? Walmart moves on to the next city and leave a carcass of a building behind. City residents are shafted.

In the below case...Walmart builds, gets rebates, and then moves right to the next city leaving an empty building. The economic development coordinator for the city doesn't get it....Wal Mart isn't going to move back unless the city provides more rebates.

http://woonsocket.patch.com/groups/b...ossible-return

Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I guarantee within a week you and all your "hoity toity" neighbors will be there with full shopping baskets, asking how you ever lived with out a Walmart.

I actually don't lived in the affected communities . However, it pisses me off that city government is so incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio