Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 01:37 PM
NYr

44 posts, read 149,294 times

Advertisements

I was stationed at San Vito Air Station (Italy) and we would get excited whenever anyone was going to Naples for medical appointments so that we could send them with a few dollars to pick up McDonalds for us. That was the only American fast food place that I remember. Nothing like getting burgers that were HOURS old, for a taste of 'Ol Home. I don't eat meat, but I would still get fries and the Big Mac just to take the meat out, and eat the rest of the sandwich (special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun...ha ha). I just passed the Burger King, and noticed that there are tables and chairs inside with plastic still on them. Oh boy...should be any month now.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:45 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
It should be. Bosnians are known for cooking killer pizzas. There was a guy from that region that owned a pizza place at UT-Austin and it was incredible--super greasy though
Reminds me of eating in the chow hall on Butmir in Sarajevo. One day they had tuna pizza and I thought something got lost in the translation, it didn't...
that was by far the worst pizza I've ever had in my life and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. Second place went to the "spring rolls" with vegetables and gravy inside. Something seriously got lost in that translation

Old 08-18-2007, 04:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I can! LOL You can sure tell who was stationed overseas a lot during their careers.....since BK is the ONLY burger chain franchise available overseas on military bases, ANYONE who spent much time overseas refers to it as "Bookie Kaka"!
If I'm not mistaken, the Army and Air Force had Burger King, while the Navy/Marines had McDonald's.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I can! LOL You can sure tell who was stationed overseas a lot during their careers.....since BK is the ONLY burger chain franchise available overseas on military bases, ANYONE who spent much time overseas refers to it as "Bookie Kaka"!
I've been stateside for the last 10 years and only just recently contemplated eating there again

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I soooooooo understand. I still can not, but it has only been 7 years back.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYr View Post
I was stationed at San Vito Air Station (Italy) and we would get excited whenever anyone was going to Naples for medical appointments so that we could send them with a few dollars to pick up McDonalds for us. That was the only American fast food place that I remember. Nothing like getting burgers that were HOURS old, for a taste of 'Ol Home. I don't eat meat, but I would still get fries and the Big Mac just to take the meat out, and eat the rest of the sandwich (special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun...ha ha). I just passed the Burger King, and noticed that there are tables and chairs inside with plastic still on them. Oh boy...should be any month now.
Were you at the 6917th?

I was there several times during the late 90's. It must have been a pretty interesting place to work when the base was open.

I had some of the best food I've ever had at the village/town just down the road from there.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:52 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,806 times
Any updates on stuff happening at Potranco and 1604? I haven't been out in that area in a couple of months.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:02 PM
NYr

44 posts, read 149,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Were you at the 6917th?

I was there several times during the late 90's. It must have been a pretty interesting place to work when the base was open.

I had some of the best food I've ever had at the village/town just down the road from there.
Yes I was. I was assigned to the FLR 9 shop which maintained the big "Elephant Cage" antenna. I was there until '89 which is when I was sent here. It was an awesome place for food, and I often think about it as I search for the perfect "Real Italian" food. I heard that the place closed down. What a shame.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,077 times
Default Pei Wei...Am I missing something?

Brought food home from Pei Wei last weekend and thought...ugh...The lettuce wraps were very good...Pad Thai not so good...Sweet and Sour Chicken...yuk. Crab rangoons were fair...price was high. I did like the take out containers though, they were nice. Is there something I'm missing in my menu choices or something? Who of you loves it and can steer me right if I decide to try it again?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA5 View Post
Brought food home from Pei Wei last weekend and thought...ugh...The lettuce wraps were very good...Pad Thai not so good...Sweet and Sour Chicken...yuk. Crab rangoons were fair...price was high. I did like the take out containers though, they were nice. Is there something I'm missing in my menu choices or something? Who of you loves it and can steer me right if I decide to try it again?
I LOVE the Vietnamese Chicken rolls...that is my personal fav. Also the Pei Wei spicy (their version of a General Tso) is very good. If you like curry, try theirs with chicken....also excellent. I have had the Pad Thai THERE and to go...BIG difference in taste...try the Pad Thai THERE once and see if you don't think so too. I love Pad Thai!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio