Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM

226 posts, read 926,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
The saga continues. Evidently - KB doesn't take too kindly to having work done on the side that wasn't part of your selects. I hade a few lights added and since they weren't part of the original purchase it has caused quite a fuss. I feel really bad since the construction manager that I now have inherited my home from the original that is no longer with the company. I can understand how KB doesn't want to warranty work not included in the design selects - but if it all passed code when they had it inspected - I don't see the big deal. Anyway - I think I got a half dozen calls today between the builder and the electrician - both wree very frantic.

The funny thing is that when I inquired about adding these pesky under cabinet lights at the design center, it was KB's own staff that told me if I paid to have the additional wiring run to the kitchen they were sure the electrical contractor would be willing to add the lights. That is exactly what I did and now it has caused quite a stir. This all started when KB wouldn't offer the option of under cabinet lights without upgrading to the gourmet kitchen...which happens to cost about $30K on the house I am building. You would think that they would offer under cabinet lighting on all $300K homes - no matter what kitchen you select. So...because they didn't offer this option, with the help and creativity of the design center staff I created a solution...which may now end up causing all kinds of grief.

I wish the headache would just go away...

Anyway, I found out that due to a last minute change of plans I can't meet with my builder tomorrow morning. I will try to reschedule for later this week.

I have an electric meter and plumbing!

The reason your electrician is frantic is because he might just get his contract with kb terminated. KB puts in all of their PO/contracts that their subs cannot do work for the home owner on their home while the home is under construction. The KB Supt, might also be fired for allowing this to happen.

KB wants to build the homes fast, they don't want to pay the carrying costs...whenever you do things outside of the original scope of the contract you increase the chance of something going wrong and thereby extending the build process.

Only way to get little touches done to a track home is to go with a semi custom builder. KB is a track builder that won't budge. They don't offer under cabinet kitchen lights unless you upgrade is because they want you to pay the 30K. Just like car dealers, you want the vehicle skid control...then you have to also get the sunroof etc.

KB is a good bargain for SF for the price, but will short you on other things - two heatpumps, electrical layout, kitchen cabinet, etc.

I have talked to people who have bought homes with other track builders, and the one thing most seem to short people on are the light switches. Enter a room a switch, but not one when you exit the room. Some areas of the country this is a code requirement, but apparently not in the San Antonio area.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 PM

168 posts, read 483,076 times
I agree. San Antonio is very builder friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
The reason your electrician is frantic is because he might just get his contract with kb terminated. KB puts in all of their PO/contracts that their subs cannot do work for the home owner on their home while the home is under construction. The KB Supt, might also be fired for allowing this to happen.

KB wants to build the homes fast, they don't want to pay the carrying costs...whenever you do things outside of the original scope of the contract you increase the chance of something going wrong and thereby extending the build process.

Only way to get little touches done to a track home is to go with a semi custom builder. KB is a track builder that won't budge. They don't offer under cabinet kitchen lights unless you upgrade is because they want you to pay the 30K. Just like car dealers, you want the vehicle skid control...then you have to also get the sunroof etc.

KB is a good bargain for SF for the price, but will short you on other things - two heatpumps, electrical layout, kitchen cabinet, etc.

I have talked to people who have bought homes with other track builders, and the one thing most seem to short people on are the light switches. Enter a room a switch, but not one when you exit the room. Some areas of the country this is a code requirement, but apparently not in the San Antonio area.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,746,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post

I have talked to lots of folks that have built KB houses that have done things on the sides with various subs. I guess it works out ok most times. I never thought it was a big deal. And since two KB employees - one at the design center and my original KB supt aided me in this arrangement I just assumed it was OK. The implied consent idea. Anyway - the original KB supt is no longer with the company (for other reasons) and the one I have had no part in the whole thing. Supposedly the electrician that I worked with to do this has now lost his job. Very sad.

I am now appealing with KB to allow me to pay a change order to modify my contract to reflect the changes I did (which were allowable upgrades through the design center - except the under cabinet lights which for some reason they are fine with now...) and just move on down the road. In addition to the under cabinet lighting I had a few can lights added and KB is threatening to have them taken out...even though the home is about three weeks from closing! I am praying for reason here so I can see this process to the end without me being punished for something that was done in plain sight and with the implied consent of at least two KB employees. Since the work was done by their contractor at the same time as the rest of the work and inspected by the KB inspectors and city inspectors there isn't an issue with being up to code. It is perfectly fine.

I had a long conversation with the regional sales manager last night and hope to hear back from him this morning to find out that they are going to just let me pay a change order fee and move on down the road. The sad thing is that through all this process - KB has done an outstanding job of managing this build and I am getting a very high quality home. They have not disapointed me in any way in terms of the quality (which is what the san antonio market doesn't get) just their flexibility (which is necessary when building in the $300K-$500K range). I can now say that that might be the primary reasont hey have struggled at this price point. I think most buyers of production homes in the $300K -$500K range expect just a little flexibility in the process. I did and have received some until now. I will update everyone after I hear back from "management" on this.

By the way - they did move my thermostat from behind the door!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Well - today I paid my change order fee to have my contract amended to reflect the changes to my lighting options. I think we now have this behind us. It looks like we are probably two weeks away from scheduling a final inspection and having the builder walk throughs. My constructions manager told me that our sod/landscaping should arrive this coming week and that the final paint touch up will also occur inside so they can now schedule for carpet. The house is so close to being complete. I suspect we are probably three weeks away from closing if all goes well.

June is going to be a busy month for KB in the Quarry. It looks like there will be five homes completed and closed just on my street in the month of June. It is going to be a fun summer.

A big thank you to my KB team in getting past the road block last week. They came through on every level.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thnik in the end they certianly didn't want you to walk especailly now.I thnik you may see some changes in the building and up grades in the future as the market will be tightening. Glad you git it worked out.The days of selling all the houses they can build are gone and hopefully the days of packaging so many upgreades with no compromise.There are alot of smaller builders of tract homes that will make upgrades item by item. One of the biggest ones I have seen is cabinets as many of the standard cabinets are pretty low grade from what I have seen.Changing them later can be a huge cost.I always say get what yoiu want in the kitchen and baths because they are the most expensive areas to remodel.Things like flooring are relatively inexpensive in comparison.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 AM

Home update - our pad was back ordered for our carpet so our closing was pushed back. Carpet goes in this Friday - so we hope to close the end of next week. The house is looking great!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM

134 posts, read 503,060 times
congrats Banker you must be so excited!!!!!! Sounds like alot of people moving in also which is great!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
congrats Banker you must be so excited!!!!!! Sounds like alot of people moving in also which is great!
Thank you. Yes - five homes are scheduled to close in June. Basically one per week. All on my street! It will be an exciting time. Lots of kids and from what I can tell - several families in my age group - mid to late 30's.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Carpet is in and the house is now scheduled for the final round of inspections. It looks great. We hope to take ownership the middle of next week.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM

732 posts, read 3,553,443 times
We visited some friends who live in that area (in a KB home) and were really impressed with the overall location and the look of the home.

Congratulations on nearing the end of your building adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio