Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 AM

361 posts, read 925,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
The information superhighway has never been free.

It is not all that bad. You get to pay based on what you use. I think the caps that TW is proposing are rather low and may come back to bite them. The folks that are consuming excessive amounts need to pay their share, rather than be subsidized by those that use much less.

You just don't get it. No limits to bandwidth is what made the internet what it is. So some use more than others? So what. At least it's there, and you should be able to do with it as you please without a restriction from a greedy fascist company that somehow eludes antitrust laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,803,331 times
Quote:
The information superhighway has never been free.

It is not all that bad. You get to pay based on what you use. I think the caps that TW is proposing are rather low and may come back to bite them. The folks that are consuming excessive amounts need to pay their share, rather than be subsidized by those that use much less.
Likewise, we should charge more towards those who watch more TV than others. That's more bandwidth too.

I think it's a horrible idea - hope it gets a lot of attention online. I haven't seen it make too many headlines yet... I'm still giving it time.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
I have another good analogy for this.. it's like buying a Corvette, but demanding to pay the Malibu price because you never plan on taking it over 60 MPH. That's your own fault and there's no need to punish everyone else just because you don't get the full value out of something.
Life is what you make it You don't need to bring everyone else down to your level just because you choose to sit in the La-Z-Boy all day..

Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM

330 posts, read 1,373,736 times
I too think paying for the service you use is terrible. Completely un-American!

Can you believe McDonald's charges me for what I eat, rather than charging everyone the same flat rate? Not fair!!

And those banks that charge fees to people who withdraw from their ATMs that aren't a part of that bank? How dare they charge for a service they provide! We should be able to withdraw from the ATMs that they service and stiock with cash for free! Unfair!

Here's a little-known fact. Did you know that some car washes are charging EXTRA when you get extra services done to your car?? I went to the one on Huebner last weekend, and they wanted me to hand over more of my hard-earned money to do some extra cleaning on my tires. Totally unfair!!

This notion of paying for what we use is completely beyond me. I can't believe Time Warner is introducing this ridiculous concept that I've never seen anywhere else.

Paying for what I use. Pffft. Hogwash!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 AM

179 posts, read 469,042 times
I agree, this is America, a company should have the right to choose how they run thier buisness and what services they deliver to thier customers. What bothers me is that I signed into a 2 year price lock with TW. Now if they stay true and offer me the same or better service with the price locked, which is what I was sold, then I will stay happily thru my contract and move to another company once the contract expires. After all, I as a consumer, have every right to shake my fist in the air and then choose another company to use. I have tried calling TW yesterday (waited about 30 minutes) and then today (waited about 20 minutes) to get an answer on if my service and rate will stay the same. If anybody has heard of whether or not the 2 year price lock contract would be unaffected by this pricing please tell!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,410,577 times
of course they can charge what they want and in the end the consumers rule. I too am waiting to see what they are going to do to the price-lock customers. If they decrease BW or increase price, I'm going to have a real problem. Knee jerk reaction will be to drop them, but I absolutely hate at&t. Hopefully TWC will do the right thing.
and comparing additional services for extra costs is not the same as whining about not finishing your meal but still being charged the same price. Unlimited BW was what they sold me and that's what I expect to get. If it would've been like a cell phone plan and I agreed to it's terms, I wouldn't say a word, but it obviously wasn't.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 AM

361 posts, read 925,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
of course they can charge what they want and in the end the consumers rule. I too am waiting to see what they are going to do to the price-lock customers. If they decrease BW or increase price, I'm going to have a real problem. Knee jerk reaction will be to drop them, but I absolutely hate at&t. Hopefully TWC will do the right thing.
and comparing additional services for extra costs is not the same as whining about not finishing your meal but still being charged the same price. Unlimited BW was what they sold me and that's what I expect to get. If it would've been like a cell phone plan and I agreed to it's terms, I wouldn't say a word, but it obviously wasn't.
The customers don't rule at all. Where did you get that? With large companies, they do what they want because they can do it. Anti-trust laws are dead, and if you need proof of that, just look at how so few companies took down our economy when we had the unenforced laws to protect us from that.

TW won't do the right thing. Why do online movie rental competitors like Netflix a favor when TW is selling VOD (For example)? This screws a lot of people in a lot of industries, and it'll pretty much kill online gaming (which is a major blow because more and more games are sold with some sort of online content and downloadables). It'll also slow down growth of the internet too because unlimited bandwidth is why we have streaming TV like Hulu and news sites that stream the news.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Likewise, we should charge more towards those who watch more TV than others. That's more bandwidth too.

I think it's a horrible idea - hope it gets a lot of attention online. I haven't seen it make too many headlines yet... I'm still giving it time.
Not quite the same. Tv is multicast, so everyone is getting tv even if you are not watching it.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I have another good analogy for this.. it's like buying a Corvette, but demanding to pay the Malibu price because you never plan on taking it over 60 MPH. That's your own fault and there's no need to punish everyone else just because you don't get the full value out of something.
Life is what you make it You don't need to bring everyone else down to your level just because you choose to sit in the La-Z-Boy all day..
The more accurate analogy would be be having the many Malibu owners subsidize the few corvette owners.

There is quickly becoming a problem with unlimited internet usage and capacity. That being said, I dont really have a problem with caps, but they should be reasonable. I dont think the TW caps are reasonable.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:55 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,965,395 times
Quote:
Not quite the same. Tv is multicast, so everyone is getting tv even if you are not watching it.
The same could be said for any utility, though. All houses (built, that is) are connected with power, water, and sometimes gas. Each house has the same levels of access as the other, but bills will vary based upon usage. So, if we pushed Internet access into the same model, things make sense. We are using the Internet for a lot more than just checking e-mail these days, just like electricity powers a lot more than a home's lighting.

I think this is the way things are heading for Internet access, whether we like it or not. As we grow to utilize the Internet for more and more purposes, companies responsible for providing such access will have to go to a use-based billing solution.

Full disclosure: I'm not an employee of any ISP, but I used to work for UUNET and can tell you all about business-level Internet usage based on traffic statistics (up or down), burst rates, billing, etc.

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio