Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 04:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times

Advertisements

Accually, Verizon is the largest in the US with 10 million more suscribers then AT&T and a large skycraper in New York City but whos counting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 51,594 times
Smile San Antonio

I think San Antonio hasn't built a shining downtown like Austin, Houston, or Dallas, because it views itself as a city with a past,(the Alamo). And it feels pressure to be in the past, and it wont move forward until it sees itself as a city with a future, rather than celebrating the past at the drop of a hat. All the great cities with a past like London, or Berlin, have a history side but they also have a financial district with a hold on the future of the cities present standing in the worlds commerce sector. San Antonio is actually a sad city with run down neighborhoods right downtown. They need to demolish those houses, and build low income high rise condos and build newer neighborhoods that dont have such an eye sore on the city. I think San Antonio being the 7th largest city in the U.S., it has a responsiblity to showcase its developement in the infrastructure of its arteries of neighborhoods. Its a dangerous city because they have allowed gangs and the criminals to take over whole sections of the city without erradicating the problem with bulldozing those neighborhoods that serve no purpose anymore. Yeah there is probably some good people stuck in the midst of those gang infested streets. But to build cleaner and newer neighborhoods would be more of a service to them than allowing the gangbangers to thrive and deplete the hard working souls of a better life.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,733,738 times
I'm not sure I'm following you. Build high-rise low income condos? Like the ones in the larger cities up north? some of them look like a war zone. I drive all over this city all the time and I don't really see "criminals to take over whole sections of the city" Sure, there are some pockets of the city that may resemble that, but "whole sections"? Don't think so.

Besides, who wants a bunch of tall shiny buildings reflecting all the heat/sun? A vast majority of the skyscrapers I've seen in other cities that have been built in the last twenty years are butt ugly. Exceptions exist.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Agreed, look how well it worked in Vegas!

Las Vegas Death Ray Hotel Leaves Guests Badly Burnt

I think San Antonio has a future because it embraces its past! Modern structures don't necessary translate into a more appealing downtown, and I think the current mix of old and new gives SA a charm that is lost in big cities across the state and country. I find Houston and DFW boring and the culture there contrived; whereas here it is natural and alive.

As stated previously, the true test is to go downtown on any evening of the week and see how busy things are. There are people everywhere, shops and restaurants doing a bustling business, and there's constant activity. There aren't many cities this size in the country that can claim that, and it's depressing when I travel someplace and find the downtown to be dead and lifeless.

San Antonio continues to draw large crowds, and has done so for years; so the argument that something needs to change is unfounded. If anything, it appears Sa Antonio has figured out the winning formula whereas many other large metropolitan areas are struggling; and as my dearly departed father used to always say, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Or, in other words, don't mess with success!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Harris View Post
I think San Antonio hasn't built a shining downtown like Austin, Houston, or Dallas, because it views itself as a city with a past,(the Alamo). And it feels pressure to be in the past, and it wont move forward until it sees itself as a city with a future, rather than celebrating the past at the drop of a hat. All the great cities with a past like London, or Berlin, have a history side but they also have a financial district with a hold on the future of the cities present standing in the worlds commerce sector. San Antonio is actually a sad city with run down neighborhoods right downtown. They need to demolish those houses, and build low income high rise condos and build newer neighborhoods that dont have such an eye sore on the city. I think San Antonio being the 7th largest city in the U.S., it has a responsiblity to showcase its developement in the infrastructure of its arteries of neighborhoods. Its a dangerous city because they have allowed gangs and the criminals to take over whole sections of the city without erradicating the problem with bulldozing those neighborhoods that serve no purpose anymore. Yeah there is probably some good people stuck in the midst of those gang infested streets. But to build cleaner and newer neighborhoods would be more of a service to them than allowing the gangbangers to thrive and deplete the hard working souls of a better life.
This is a really bad idea, based on a really poor understanding of urbanism, economics, and our near-downtown neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
I think San Antonio hasn't built a shining downtown like Austin, Houston, or Dallas, because it views itself as a city with a past,(the Alamo).
Has nothing to do with history, feelings, etc. It has to do with "private investment".
If there's going to be any skyscrappers, it seems like it would happen on 410 on the North side.

If most high income people live on the North Side, what's the point of building a huge skyscrapper in downtown?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I prefer San Antonio maintain a low profile. I like things just the way they are. Why mess with success?? It always seems newcomers want to change our success story to their liking!! I don't see this "Boom" coming!!!

Couldn't agree more.

I don't understand some people's obsession with huge skyscrapers....if you want that kind of "atmosphere", go back to NY or wherever you came from! We need to fix what we already have, instead of trying to lure more and more people here. (yeah I know...more people = more tax revenue)

We should be focusing on getting rid of these so-called gangs and other scum, cleaning up the areas that are run-down, making what we already have a more pleasant place to live.

If the so-called city leaders keep wanting more and more people to move here......when does it end? It's only a matter of time before this town is turned into another NYC with that kind of thinking. I can't speak for everyone, but as someone that was born and raised here......I will be moving somewhere else way before that happens.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:28 PM

624 posts, read 906,417 times
Quote:
Yes and the other cities you mention are free of rundown areas, gangbangers and crime.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:31 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
San Antonio is long overdue. Our downtown skyline is patheic for a city our size. It is a shmae that a town 70 mile north is kicking our a-- in that department. Downtown to a city is like a dress to woman. Wear a raggdy dress and you dont get the job. Sorry it may not be right but that is the way it is

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio is long overdue. Our downtown skyline is patheic for a city our size. It is a shmae that a town 70 mile north is kicking our a-- in that department. Downtown to a city is like a dress to woman. Wear a raggdy dress and you dont get the job. Sorry it may not be right but that is the way it is
You sound like the kid that wants to have a Ferrari but hasn't finished High School.
Guess what... those skyscrappers have to be built and paid for by somebody.
And the people that have the money to do that, don't do it, just to make a city look pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio