Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
You're wrong.

We would not be gaining over 50k people a year for low paying jobs. (Austin grows at about 55k a year)

San Antonio is in cybercrime Austin is in tech innovation. If nothing else our cities complement each other.
Fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:31 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Fixed it.
Thank you.

I noticed you could not fix anything else I had to say.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,784,667 times
In my opinion, 50K+ population growth a year is nothing to be happy about in San Antonio (or in Austin as well). Lots of people are grumbling about it in the Austin forum already.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:08 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Thank you.

I noticed you could not fix anything else I had to say.
It's my opinion that the SA economy is primarily driven by the military and if you are not in the military, call center work or any of the other few companies headquartered in SA (USAA and Rackspace are the only two I can think of right now)you're in the minority. I've said it before even in this thread; I am glad I'm out of SA's military first culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
In my opinion, 50K+ population growth a year is nothing to be happy about in San Antonio (or in Austin as well). Lots of people are grumbling about it in the Austin forum already.

I think one of the differences between the two areas is that Austin is generally pretty dense and from my recollection Bexar county is on the larger side county-wise and there's more open space for those 50k people versus Austin where we're living on top of each other or living in Hays or Williamson county and commuting in

Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's my opinion that the SA economy is primarily driven by the military and if you are not in the military, call center work or any of the other few companies headquartered in SA (USAA and Rackspace are the only two I can think of right now)you're in the minority. I've said it before even in this thread; I am glad I'm out of SA's military first culture.

I think one of the differences between the two areas is that Austin is generally pretty dense and from my recollection Bexar county is on the larger side county-wise and there's more open space for those 50k people versus Austin where we're living on top of each other or living in Hays or Williamson county and commuting in
Your opinion about jobs in San Antonio is out of touch with reality and hard statistics prove it. We get it, you make more money working in social services in Austin. I left Austin to make over 10k a year more to work in education in San Antonio. San Antonio has more Fortune 500 companies then Austin. Actually, Austin has 0 and Round Rock has 1.

Austin is far from dense and suffers greatly from urban sprawl like every other Texas city.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
San Antonio has more Fortune 500 companies then Austin. Actually, Austin has 0 and Round Rock has 1.
What about Whole Foods (as far I know, Amazon kept the HQ there) so I guess technically it is Amazon now.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
What about Whole Foods (as far I know, Amazon kept the HQ there) so I guess technically it is Amazon now.
You're right, forgot about them after Amazon.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,352,875 times
Quote:
The San Antonio-New Braunfels metro area is one of the best at creating high-wage jobs in the United States, according to a study from Forbes.
San Antonio was one of three Texas metros to make the list of cities excelling at creating high-wage jobs, which Forbes contributors Joel Kotkin and Michael Shires produced using data on growth in the business and professional services sector from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. San Antonio-New Braunfels was sixth on the list, while Austin-Round Rock ranked third and Dallas-Plano-Irving slotted in at fifth.
San Antonio named a top 10 city for high-wage job growth - San Antonio Express-News

Old 07-10-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure if Whole Foods still counted after the merger. I guess as long Amazon keeps the Whole Foods corporate offices there, it remains a Fortune 500 company in Austin.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times
Quote:
Whole Foods is currently a Fortune 500 company and has been a Fortune 500 company for a while. They aren't a Fortune 500 company because of the recent buyout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio