Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 02:55 PM

424 posts, read 609,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Do you see a lot of folks from SoCal moving there?
They are and have been, in droves, since the early 2000s. The drives have only grown in size in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 06:09 PM

422 posts, read 756,998 times
Before you tout and let San Antonio beat it's chest...I have to remind you San Antonio also is in the top 10 in the "most segregated cities in America" when it comes to living standards/inequality and that is just down right EMBARRASSING which brings down to earth your post. Sorry.

Edit: Just read about this earlier this year looks like San Antonio crawled out of the top 10 but it still in some lists.

https://therivardreport.com/big-sort...c-segregation/

Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Ah, Baloney I say,

Live and Let Live is what I say. Whatever floats your boat.
San Antonio will not change overnight. Embarrassed by the City? There are far worse places to live.
This City is old but young with a long way to go yet? Still growing strong.
With a bit of the old south still clinging. The formula works. Don't try to hold it back or bring it down to earth. Texas is not about to collapse.
This inequality has existed for centuries here only now it is on a much more colossal scale.
Being built, brick by brick.

As I told my old lawyer one time, " When I lived in South Texas I was discriminated against by white people."
" I had to move to Detroit to learn what is was like to be discriminated against by black people."

The difference is little. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Before you tout and let San Antonio beat it's chest...I have to remind you San Antonio also is in the top 10 in the "most segregated cities in America" when it comes to living standards/inequality and that is just down right EMBARRASSING which brings down to earth your post. Sorry.

Edit: Just read about this earlier this year looks like San Antonio crawled out of the top 10 but it still in some lists.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:

I don't need some journalism piece to tell me how segregated SA is. Anyone who has lived here long enough and been to all areas can tell how segregated it is here. Anyone who says other wise is just part of the SA cheerleader crowd.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:12 PM

Default Non-Segregation,

San Antonio is not segregated at all. Economically segregated- yes, sure. Poor or lower middle income live in demarcated areas. It is this way everyplace. Southsiders are white and brown. Northsiders are black white and brown.
The difference between economically and racially segregated is immense and the cause for the passage equal rights laws passed by LBJ and whichMartin Luther King Jr. died for in the sixties.
With an education or entrepreneurship or any other means of improving oneself - the very promise of America- one can live anywhere within the city. OR outside of it. Unsegregated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I don't need some journalism piece to tell me how segregated SA is. Anyone who has lived here long enough and been to all areas can tell how segregated it is here. Anyone who says other wise is just part of the SA cheerleader crowd.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:25 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
think it's a mini Austin
Think I've seen everything now...

Old 06-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Mini Austin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Think I've seen everything now...

Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:

From your article.

Quote:
For the past three decades, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Miami, have ranked among the nation’s fastest-growing large metropolitan areas, according to Pew, “fueled in part by an influx of low-skill, low-wage immigrants from south of the border and in part by an influx of high-skill, high-wage workers and well-to-do retirees. These dual migration streams could well have contributed to a rise in residential segregation by income.”
Makes sense to me.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Texas in general is very segregated as income status.

Culturally, not bad (considering / comparing our neighbors in several states nearby!)

Income disparity will; continue to grow. (as it is even in the cities with $15/ hr minimum wage)

Problems are DEEP and wide. SA is not significantly BAD. AFAIK... I have been in MUCH worse (often living overseas as a VERY UNPROTECTED minority)

Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 AM

This it has always been, with immigrants especially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Texas in general is very segregated as income status.

Culturally, not bad (considering / comparing our neighbors in several states nearby!)

Income disparity will; continue to grow. (as it is even in the cities with $15/ hr minimum wage)

Problems are DEEP and wide. SA is not significantly BAD. AFAIK... I have been in MUCH worse (often living overseas as a VERY UNPROTECTED minority)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio