Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
Well that's the problem no one would take us seriously, we tried finding jobs before we moved here, I mean we sent out hundreds of applications, sent out letter of interests, we did tons of stuff no one would even respond or even give us the time of day, now we both know why and we found out the market here is flooded, even so we still had better success once we moved here than when we were from out of state, no one took either of us seriously.
That's a sign that they are looking for more experience and/or education. Austin companies hire a lot of out-of-state applicants, but they have their pick of highly-qualified candidates. At least half of the people where I work are not from Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 10:06 AM

124 posts, read 122,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That's a sign that they are looking for more experience and/or education. Austin companies hire a lot of out-of-state applicants, but they have their pick of highly-qualified candidates. At least half of the people where I work are not from Texas.
Which is also a sign that the market is flooded, so companies can afford to pick and choose. I would never advise anyone to come to Austin especially in an entry level position, I also feel like the state of Texas somehow skews their unemployment numbers and other numbers, I'm not sure how they do this, but I think there is more unemployment going on here then what their numbers shows. Especially with the high number of homeless people they have here.

Somehow either the city or the state is playing a smoke and mirrors game.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
Which is also a sign that the market is flooded, so companies can afford to pick and choose. I would never advise anyone to come to Austin especially in an entry level position, I also feel like the state of Texas somehow skews their unemployment numbers and other numbers, I'm not sure how they do this, but I think there is more unemployment going on here then what their numbers shows. Especially with the high number of homeless people they have here.

Somehow either the city or the state is playing a smoke and mirrors game.
Texas' unemployment numbers are calculated the same as other states'. The Bureau of Labor Statistics, a federal government agency, collects the data. Those who are not looking for work are not counted. Having 2k-3k homeless people in a large city wouldn't have much of an effect on the rate anyway.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:58 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,120,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
This is the issue with the two cities. Natural resources versus Tech. These two industries are so different in the way they recruit and the caliber of talent and jobs that they create. Until San Antonio can create the same high paying jobs that the Austin area does it will not be on the same level as Austin. (Not that I'm advocating for an Austin part two....but...I'll see myself out...)
San Antonio's tech industry is not that much smaller than Austin's and the pay scale is comprable. I've already listed this on other threads.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:18 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,741,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio's tech industry is not that much smaller than Austin's and the pay scale is comprable. I've already listed this on other threads.
But are these civilian jobs? Not likely.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:07 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,067,262 times
A new report shows San Antonio can hardly compete with major cities across the U.S. when it comes to education, annual pay, and number of jobs.

Reasons San Antonio has trouble attracting young, educated talented people to the city - San Antonio Express-News

Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 AM

424 posts, read 610,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
A new report shows San Antonio can hardly compete with major cities across the U.S. when it comes to education, annual pay, and number of jobs.

Reasons San Antonio has trouble attracting young, educated talented people to the city - San Antonio Express-News
What a silly list. It's only comparing 13 cities and just city statistics and not MSA/CSA, which is a much more telling and fuller picture.

Just MYSA/Express-News continuing to write mediocre buzzfeed level trash.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:01 PM

4,442 posts, read 5,364,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post

I agree we are not where we need to be yet, but people have created thread after thread that says we are improving and sometimes we are at the top of the pact in improvement.

Including this list that shows we are 5th in the nation for wage growth by percentage.

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...ns-6615272.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
What a silly list. It's only comparing 13 cities and just city statistics and not MSA/CSA, which is a much more telling and fuller picture.

Just MYSA/Express-News continuing to write mediocre buzzfeed level trash.
You are correct.

We are the 7th largest city but we are only the 24th largest metropolitan region. (just passed Portland, OR)

Old 12-15-2016, 08:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,866,044 times
Do you see a lot of folks from SoCal moving there?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:10 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,067,262 times
Too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio