Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times

Advertisements

This might have been brought up earlier but does anybody remember the Neon Handy Andy signs that kinda looked like Totem poles or something . I remember one at the Fred road location and also at the Houston St. Location

Old 09-02-2008, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
My best friend and I went to Highland Hills Pharmacy a lot, too. We would sit at the counter and have a coke and I loved those little cheese crackers. Then we would look at all the magazines on the other side of the store. Sometimes I would have enough money to buy a Seventeen mag. Then we would go to Ben Franklins and maybe get some Tangee lipstickLOL
I had forgotten about the Ben Franklins. next door to the Highland Hills Pharmacy. My best friend at school worked there, his name was Ronnie.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
I just looked at the phone listings Mudpuddle listed and there was no Handy Andy anywhere near New Braunfels and E Houston. i MUST BE LOSING MY MIND!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,580 times
No, no railroad tracks, no bowling alley either. The nearest bowling Lanes I remember were up on Goliad road, where the old Riveria Swimming Pool used to be.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I just looked at the phone listings Mudpuddle listed and there was no Handy Andy anywhere near New Braunfels and E Houston. i MUST BE LOSING MY MIND!
Oh, yes there was! Handy Andy and H.E.B. I believe. One was just south of Houston on east side of the street. One on nw corner of Houston and New Braunfels.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
i think my parents used to go there...but speaking of BBQ places, does anyone remember one out off of Pecan Valley area? i think it was Bob's or something like that...i was told that it burned down sometime in the 90s...i remember my parents also going there for BBQ when i used to go to St. Margaret Mary's Catholic School...
I remember Bob's Den, over off Rigsby and Roland. It changed to Bob's Smokehouse and after Bob's death just The Smokehouse. Don't tell me it is gone altogether now. That's just too much bad news in a single decade.

The only other place I am aware of around the Pecan Valley area is Snoga's...but I have only been there once back in the 80's and was not overly impressed at the time.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:18 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
This might have been brought up earlier but does anybody remember the Neon Handy Andy signs that kinda looked like Totem poles or something . I remember one at the Fred road location and also at the Houston St. Location
Yes , I do!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 AM

141 posts, read 508,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I remember Bob's Den, over off Rigsby and Roland. It changed to Bob's Smokehouse and after Bob's death just The Smokehouse. Don't tell me it is gone altogether now. That's just too much bad news in a single decade.

The only other place I am aware of around the Pecan Valley area is Snoga's...but I have only been there once back in the 80's and was not overly impressed at the time.
i think you are right about the location being on Rigsby, as that was near my old stomping grounds...but i can't verify if it is still operational or if it is indeed gone, but not forgotten. but there was a place in Pecan Valley that eludes my memory at this moment...

Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 AM

55 posts, read 137,957 times
I remember the neon ringed "totem pole" signs too. Yes Bob's Smokehouse had a fire and did a number on the board sided building. Like all successful BBQ business, it was great. I have to add something here: Memories are what brings life to the old buildings and other places we are all interested in. There might be a few thousand sites we talk about, but the memories number in the hundreds of thousands. Instead of feeling like an outsider when a couple of people openly reminisce, feel privileged to be able to peer through someone else's mind's eye for a bit. Those memories turn one dimensional cardboard into technicolor High Definition. It does not cost anything to anyone. So enjoy the memories.... yours and others. Lighten up and breathe deeply. It will all be o.k.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,604 times
it was my non-english speaking father and recent migrant farmworker who beat city hall in 1966. they had a surveyor come out and survey the land, come to find out that small crossway was our driveway. the city of course denied anything and continued business as usual until one day my father fenced off the street with cyclone fencing and concrete posts.

he eventually won. we still have the news articles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'm familiar with the street. It hits Phyllis then Zarzamora, right? What did he win???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio