Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,809 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info. Another question. My family visited SA last summer. We stayed with my cousins, but because it was dreadfully hot, we weren't able to enjoy the out doors much until after 8pm. What do young families do during the summer when the temperature is so high. We did visit the Alamo, the caverns, etc, but on a day to day bases, what is there to do to stay cool and not confined to your home? Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Alan View Post
Could you reference a couple of streets in the neighborhood so I could find the area on zillow? I'd love to have a few more options.
All the streets off of Military Drive West outside Loop 1604 just past the clock tower (apartments are NOT part of Westcreek) as well as Westcreek Oaks Drive. All the areas have a "village" name on a marker.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,740 times
I was born and raised in San Antonio and honestly you just get used to it. We spend a lot of time at pools, local rivers for tubing, Schiltterbahn (spelling?), lakes, etc. Somedays though we go hideout in a movie theatre or mall just to get in some A/C. I would also get tint on your windows if you do not already have some applied. In TX it has to be a certain percentage, but I am not sure the number. Those are things off the top of my head. I am sure there a hundreds of more things to consider. And this area off 1604/Potranco is pretty nice. Let us see who is the first to disagree with me???

Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM

112 posts, read 179,445 times
I've been here six years this month and I just can't get "used to it". This summer, in particular, the hummidity is horrible. I do think SA is lacking for things to do inside with smaller kids. The places you listed for water activities are a drive away, which is hard when you have afternoon naps and such to consider. When my grandkids are here, we try to find a story hour and go for ice cream, but other than that...maybe I've missed something.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
those with small children can also benefit from Morgans wonderland. Yes it's a special needs park but for lil ones there is plenty to do and even some a/c.
NISD and NEISD both have pools open to the public for swimming.
Plenty of libraries for story time.
Heaven knows we have plenty of malls and restaurants.
Get a sea world pass.

Yes it's hot, but this is Texas so no matter where you live in this state you cannot get around it.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Great info, are there indoor play areas in the mall? We live in NY. And when it's cold and snowing, we take our son to the mall. They have a play area where kids can climb and slide and run around. As far as real estate, what are your thoughts about building new vs buying resale in the far west side?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM

FYI- the Gold's Gym is supposed to be opening by the end of August.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcurious View Post
Great info, are there indoor play areas in the mall? We live in NY. And when it's cold and snowing, we take our son to the mall. They have a play area where kids can climb and slide and run around. As far as real estate, what are your thoughts about building new vs buying resale in the far west side?
The Witte Museum and SA Children's Museum could be an option. The Witte has tons of activities geared towards young folks.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM

Thanks! Other than heat, what is the weather like during the rest of the year? This area is not a tornado area right? How about the flooding? Far west side have any issues?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM

112 posts, read 179,445 times
In six years, I've seen it all...droughts, flooding, tornadoes...but they are the exception, not the rule. A few months before we moved here, there was even a brief ice event for a day in January 2007. Generally speaking, it's three months of warm/cool (if you're lucky), three months of warmer, and six months of just plain hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio